PDA

View Full Version : FTM 2005 - Books

Jillychris
02-11-2005, 9:37 AM
I am thinking of writing up my Family History to give to my relatives for Christmas using the Family Tree Maker Books section.
Are there any tips anyone can give?
What size does it print up A4, A3?
Should I get it bound, is it expensive, where do I go to get it done?
Is there a cheaper alternative to getting it bound that still looks good?
Any tips or advice on any aspect of printing up your Family History would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Jill

Geoffers
02-11-2005, 10:57 AM
For binding, try a local photocopier - many will do inexpensive ring-binding with plastic covers. Otherwise there are adverts for printers in many FH magazines, who bind in a more traditional manner.

I've seen these 'books' written by FH programmes - and I confess to being greatly disappointed by the boring and impersonal narrative. This is just my view, others may think them the bees knees.

As an alternative, may I suggest printing off a family tree using your programme and photocopying the original documents (census, certificates, directory, wills, etc) that you possess; also print off lists of baptism, marriage and burial from parish registers. Put the various documents in different folders and the folders in an artists portfolio (sold at many art shops).

continued....

Geoffers
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
part 2.....

The recipient can then browse the family tree and get out all the documents to spread over the floor/dining table, etc. This has the advantage that it is easy to update and doesn't need a complete reprint when new facts are discovered.

I like to think of it this way, what's interesting to you in researching a family history? Reading a book laying out fairly boring facts - or going to a record centre and looking through old documents (or of course, buying the CDs from Archive CD Books to use at home).

I love old documents, registers, wills; it's fascinating looking through them and picturing in my mind how someone lived at the time. Presenting family with copies of original documents and a tree to act as a point of reference is a way of giving them a record office and saving the time of browsing the entries which aren't relevant.

Just a personal opinion

Geoffers

AnnB
02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I've seen these 'books' written by FH programmes - and I confess to being greatly disappointed by the boring and impersonal narrative. This is just my view, others may think them the bees knees.

I agree with Geoffers, the only time I used one of these narratives programmes, I ended up correcting so much of it to make it readable, I might as well have written it from scratch in the first place! I think they can be useful if you just want to share basic information with someone.

A friend of ours did a similar thing a couple of years ago to give to his family at Christmas. His approach was to copy some old photos of his family and write narratives around them. Where he hadn't got photos he copied certificates and other family documents. This, of course, would only work if you have some old photos..... ;)

Best wishes
Ann

Jillychris
02-11-2005, 5:56 PM
Thank you Geoffers and AnnB.

I only thought of dong it through FTM because I have the programme, but I like the idea of adding information to photgraphs, certificates etc.

I think I will give it a go that way, and I will contact my photocopying shop to find out about a cover and look at the art section at my local shop too.

Thank you once again.

Regards
Jill

Jillychris
31-12-2005, 5:25 PM
I thought I would let everyone know who helped me with this, the outcome.

I bought a professional scrap book wrote up about one particular Family (my Maiden Name). Fortunately I had been given several photo's from a second cousin I have recently met. I downloaded the male members seamens registers which gave a lot of information such as height, colouring and even tatoo's and distinguishing marks/scars.

I put in a Family tree with all the ancesters name on. Also I copy and pasted information about the district they were born and brought up in. I also had a photocopy of a Family Bible and I obtained some old photo's of the area concerned too.

All in all a resounding success my Father and Sister were delighted.

Thank you for your help, much better than I originally planned I am sure.

Regards
Jill

AnnB
31-12-2005, 5:31 PM
Well done Jill :) It proves that by putting a bit of effort into such a project, it really pays off. So much better than just a bare tree without leaves!

Now, if only I could work out who some of these wretched photos were of..... :o

Best wishes
Ann

Geoffers
31-12-2005, 7:56 PM
I thought I would let everyone know who helped me with this, the outcome.............All in all a resounding success my Father and Sister were delighted.
Well done, Jill
It's always nice tor ead about how things turned out and what has (or even has not) worked.

Out of general curiosity, did you fill the scrapbook completely, or is there space for adding more stuf fthat you may find out?

Geoffers

Jillychris
31-12-2005, 8:33 PM
Hi Geoffers

I didn't fill it completely, but took the few empty pages out so I can fill them at a later date and then add them to the Family History for my Dad and Sister. I can buy more pages too so I am not stuck at just the few I have.

Regards
Jill

Ladkyis
31-12-2005, 9:26 PM
I have been scrapbooking for years and only recently discovered that it is a very popular hobby in the USA. I think it is one of the best ways of recording family life and I have been making one for every two years since my daughter was born 40 years ago (sometimes so much happens we have to have one for each year). My children still take them down from the shelf and look through them and when they first brought their fiances home it was lovely to see them opening the scrap books and telling the stories of their childhood.

When my Dad died in 2003 I bought a special scrapbook and began putting together his life story. I found this to be a very useful way of mourning him and at the end I had made something that celebrated his life.

I am planning to do one for each line of my family - open ended of course.
Ann