PDA

View Full Version : Fogg as a crop

Justme
29-10-2005, 2:02 PM
I am enjoying deciphering an 18th century will with an inventory attached. In between the accounting for hay, corn and grass is an entry for "fogg in severall fields". Does anyone know what that would be?

Just me.

AnnB
29-10-2005, 2:13 PM
The one thing I can suggest is a type of grass called Yorkshire Fog. I seem to remember it is very bad for hay-fever sufferers.
I don't know as it would have been grown as a 'crop', unless it was very good for hay making. I've found a picture at http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/identify/FlowersGrassesFungi/yorkshirefog.htm :)

Best wishes
Ann

Mythology
29-10-2005, 2:16 PM
No really bright ideas, but there is a type of grass known as "Yorkshire Fog" (why Yorkshire I don't know, it grows all over the place and is also known as "Velvet Grass") the name being allegedly derived from the Norse "fogg".

I am not aware of any particular qualities which give it some special agricultural use, but I'm not a farmer, so *perhaps* somebody is distinguishing between "normal" grass and this.

Edit:
One day I'll learn to type as fast as Ann. ;)

Peter Goodey
29-10-2005, 2:41 PM
From "The Local Historian's Glossary of Words & Terms":

"Fog"

1. Second crop of grass or aftermath long grass remaining in pasture till winter.

2. Moss

3. To take cattle out of pasture in the autumn. This is the origin of the phrase "fog off".

I made the last bit up.

It looks like definition number 1 in this case. Hope this helps.

Diane Grant-Salmon
31-10-2005, 11:23 AM
No really bright ideas, but there is a type of grass known as "Yorkshire Fog" (why Yorkshire I don't know, it grows all over the place and is also known as "Velvet Grass")

Well, Yorkshire is a bit like Texas in one respect .... everything is bigger and better than anywhere else! :D Of course we're going to claim it as *ours* seeing as Yorkshire is God's own County!

3. To take cattle out of pasture in the autumn. This is the origin of the phrase "fog off".

I made the last bit up.

Hi Peter,

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/LaughCrackingupDog.gif I love it, think I may just use that expression!

kazrbutler
31-10-2005, 4:30 PM
My copy of The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary has the following entries, which may be of interest:

Fog: The long grass standing through the winter; rank grass.
(To leave) under fog: with the long grass standing.
Fog: a) To leave land under fog 1814. b) To feed (cattle) on fog 1828.

Foggage: Law. The pasturing of cattle on fog; the privilege of doing this.
(Looking at the notes this appears to be of Scottish origin, dating back to 1500, derived from Scottish Law-Latin fogagium (c1200).)

Fogger: A farm-hand chiefly engaged in feeding cattle.

I find this dictionary a useful source when looking at old documents, as it explains some of the origins of words as well as containing some obscure words.
Best wishes
Karen

jeeb
31-10-2005, 6:48 PM
Hi folks,

Well I am a farmer and yes that is exactly what Fog is, coarse grass left in the Autumn after grazing, the word is still in use today though I and other farmers I know more commonly refer to it as feg grass. Sorry Diane but Yorkshire Fog is a weed grass with no feed value whatsoever, it is the bane of hayfever sufferer's lives and if you want to claim it for Yorkshire you are welcome to the lot of it, lol.
Cheers Jeremy

Linda
31-10-2005, 6:51 PM

I made the last bit up.

Heehee! I expect that kind of humour from Mythology - are you two related? :rolleyes:

Linda

Justme
03-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for enlightenment! It makes perfect sense now, particularly as the next item on the inventory was "After Grass". Oddly, it had not occurred to me to use a dictionary. The plant identification site is worth more visits.
Just me.

Geoffers
03-11-2005, 4:32 PM
That fogg may have been his, but The Fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine, The Fog on the Tyne is all mine........

sorry :o

Fulhamster
03-11-2005, 4:51 PM
That fogg may have been his, but The Fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine, The Fog on the Tyne is all mine........

sorry :o

I don't know why ... but that had me roaring with laughter! What a nutter! :D

Ladkyis
03-11-2005, 5:15 PM
Lindisfarne woo hoo|woohoo| We went to a concert of theirs back in the good old days and spent 40 minutes in the car park outside the venue while a bomb scare was investigated so they started the second half of the concert again and then did a 40 minutes encore to make up for the wait. It was the only time I ever put my coat in the cloakroom so I was freezing cos it was the Christmas concert tour
Ann