PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Orphanages

SandieV
27-10-2005, 2:22 PM
Hi There

Does anybody have any records of a Jewish Orphanage in the East End of London in the early 1900's? IT would've been around Mile End, Whitechapel area. I am searching for my Grandad and his wife, who apparently met in one.

Regards

Sandie

DebbieAnn
27-10-2005, 8:02 PM
You might want to cantact this library, Jewish Genealogical Society

It is possible that they may answer general reference questions, such as yours, by e-mail for members (you would have to become a member). However, as you have Jewish ancestry, being a member of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain could give you access to research information you might otherwise have a difficult time obtaining...

They should certainly know of a London orphanage in the East End, and may be more likely than others to have a lot of details and information.

Debbie

SandieV
27-10-2005, 8:19 PM
Thanks for that Debbie, i'll look into that, hopefully i'll find something.

Regards

Sandie

DebbieAnn
27-10-2005, 8:25 PM
Here's one more site you may find to be helpful:

www.
movinghere.org.uk/galleries/histories/jewish/growing_up/growing_up.htm#Reform_Schools

It contains information on London orphanages in the Jewish community, as well as other interesting historical information...

Check out The Jews Free School, in the East End of London, in Spitalsfields. That may very likely be what you are searching for...

Debbie

SandieV
28-10-2005, 2:41 PM
Thanks so much, you've given me some useful links to look at. I just hope I can find something now.

Regards

Sandie