PDA

View Full Version : Unclaimed WW! medals

clarefmshaw
26-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know what happened to WW1 campaign medals which were unclaimed?

I wrote to the Ministry of Defence Medal Office, RAF Innsworth, Gloucester, earlier this year about trying to locate two WW1 medals of a relative, which I know were unclaimed (this is documented on his medals' certificate, along with a reference number).

The reply I received from RAF Innsworth was that they no longer had any unclaimed WW1 medals, and gave no explanation as to where the medals would have gone. Any clues would be appreciated (bar writing to them again).

Clare

Terry Reeves
26-10-2005, 6:51 PM
King's Regulations 1912 with amendments to 1 August 1914, Para 1743 (as a result of Army Order 409, 1913), has this to say about unclaimed medals:

"Medals which, at the end of 10 years, still remain unclaimed , will be sent to the India Office (if granted for India service), or the deputy director of ordnance stores, Royal Dockyard (Medal Branch), Woolwich (if granted for other service) to be broken up."

This appears to have been still in force after WW1. It is no longer possible to claim WW1 medals.

Terry Reeves

clarefmshaw
26-10-2005, 7:25 PM
Thanks, Terry, for the clarification. Luckily, I have my great-uncle's Mons Star at least.....

best wishes
Clare