PDA

View Full Version : ROSE & SMITH

RoseDunning
25-10-2005, 3:44 PM
Has anyone come across a CHARLES ROSE (c1836) married to a JANE ROSE (c1841). They are listed as British Subjects in the 1861 census, but then in later censuses are listed as coming from Berkshire?

I have an ELI SMITH (b.1898) (also known as WINKY) in my tree and wonder if anyone has come across him in their tree or heard of him?

Also family oral history has ‘four brothers marrying four sisters’. I think that this relates to the sons of Charles and Jane but would be glad if anyone could shed any light on the sisters. I think one was called Isabella and one was called Eliza.

Is there anyone out there who could help me find the marriage and any further information about these families?

Many thanks. Caroline.

Harry
29-10-2005, 3:22 PM
Caroline,

I presume that your Charles and Jane are the ones in the 1881 census at Welford. There is a note to the side which reads "travelers" and looking at the birthplaces of the children, that is borne out. You say you have found them in other census, could you say which please.

I've had a look at the 1851 census (the CD transcription not the one on Ancestry) and can't find Charles.

Where was Eli Smith born ?

Harry

RoseDunning
03-11-2005, 6:52 PM
Hi Harry,

I found Charles and Jane in the 1871 census when they were living in Boxford. Eli was apparently born in Gloucester but I'm having trouble finding any of the children in the GRO index, although my third cousin (who I met while doing this research!) has found Albert's birth. The only Eli I have found which may be the right one is an Eli born in Bath in 1866.

Thank you for helping. Caroline :)

Edit: Sorry, Eli Rose above was Eli Smith's father. Eli Smith was born in Staines in c.1898.