PDA

View Full Version : Cock/Cook Crabb

lostfamilies
25-10-2005, 9:46 AM
I have a Tryphena daughter of William & Eliza who i have found as Cock on the census b abt 1846 gives Liskeard as place of birth she marries a Simon Crabb found entry on freeBMD 2qrt St Austell 1866 where her name is given as Cook.
I her with her parents on 1861 census, & her with husband Simon 1871, in 1881 she states married but can't find Simon by 1891 Simon & Tryphena daughter Emma is in London as a servant i know this is the correct one as on same census is her future husband Charles Barnes.
I looked on 1891 census for Tryphena & only one that is of right age is a Tryphena Cock but as this was her maiden name it can't be her, i know by the time Emma marries in 1897 her father Simon is deceased & is given as a Saloon Keeper but in 1871 he a hammer man at foundry.
Any help with the family or if you have connections i look forward to hearing from you

Lynda Cunningham
25-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi :)

It's a different Tryphena.
In 1881 there's a Thirty-something Tryphena Crabb listed in the DEATHS on FreeBMD
Dec Qtr St Austell 5c 75
I've checked the image provided and the second digit is unclear, but I reckon she's probably your girl?

I have a Licensed vitualler, and an Inn keeper among my lot. The first was formerly a Mariner, and the other, formerly a driller in the dockyards, so a change of profession is not so unusual.

RG11/2302/49/9
Tryphena Crabb is living at
68 Western Bridge St Austell Cornwall
Tryphena Crabb/Head/Mar/32/No profession/Cornwall Liskeard,
Emma Crabb/Daur/Unm/13/Scholar/Cornwall St Austell
Annie Crabb/Daur/Unm/9/Scholar/Cornwall St Austell

and then there's Tryphena Cock
RG11/2302/138/15
Tregonissey St Austell Cornwall
Edward Cock 37 Farm Bailiff/Cornwall St Austell
Tryphena Cock 35 Cornwall St Austell
Ellen 10 Cornwall St Austell
Frederick 8 Cornwall St Austell
Emily 7 Cornwall St Austell
Frank 4 Cornwall St Austell
Jane 3 Cornwall St Austell
Annie 5wks Cornwall St Austell

Edward & Tryphena Cock & their children are on later Census too.

Hope that helps?

best wishes
Lynda

lostfamilies
25-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Thank you for your reply, i had seen the 1881 census of both of these the one with Emma is the correct one, The death could very well be her when i had searched it came up with age 3 not 3? & having looked at the image like you i think it is 30, given that Emma moves to London by 1891 as a servant i would think her parents are dead at least her mother & by 1897 her father as well, is Tryphena a popular or common name in Cornwall do you know? thanks again i appreciate your time & efforts
regards Janice

Lynda Cunningham
25-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Janice

Oh, I wouldn't know how widespread it's use, but looking through various census it does seem to crop up quite a bit in Cornwall.
I'm sure others here will be able to tell you more.

If you're interested I looked up the meaning?

TRYPHENA

Origin: Biblical......delicious; delicate
Origin: Greek ......dainty; delicious
Origin: Latin .......delicate

Rather nice I'd say :)

best wishes & happy hunting
Lynda