PDA

View Full Version : Richard abbot*

gwen646
06-04-2019, 8:18 AM
Morning
I am after a bit of help with the children of Richard abbot born 1818 ( the poet)*& Sarah abbot*(nee greenwell) from Westmoreland England.They had a son named Benson and another named Isaac..In all they had abt eight children of which most died young .. I had all of this written down on paper.But I have gone and lost that paper...So gutted :no:

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 9:01 AM
Morning
I am after a bit of help with the children of Richard abbot born 1818 ( the poet)*& Sarah abbot*(nee greenwell) from Westmoreland England.They had a son named Benson and another named Isaac..In all they had abt eight children of which most died young .. I had all of this written down on paper.But I have gone and lost that paper...So gutted :no:

do you need help to find the infomation again ?

gwen646
06-04-2019, 9:04 AM
Yes please

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 9:22 AM
OK so far I have found this

Father Richard Abbot Mother Margaret from Baptism Record.
Richard Abbott
Birth1818 • Westmoreland England
Death July 1904 • Richmond, Yorkshire North Riding
Marriage to Sarah Greenwell 16 Dec 1839 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Born 1817 • Hasgerteses, Durham, England.
More to follow

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 9:32 AM
Benson born 1843 • Castle Field, Durham, England (I think this is Sarah's fathers name)

John born 1848 • Wolsingham, Durham, England

William born 1850 • Cockfield, Durham, England

Isaac born 1856 • Lanchester, Durham, England

Amelia born 1858 • Evenwood Veroney, Durham, England ?

Angelia born 1858 • Evenwood Veroney, Durham, England ?

could these 2 be the same person will have a look.

Elizabeth born 1864 • Evenwood Veroney, Durham, England

Will send more as I found some census with them in

Sue Mackay
06-04-2019, 9:33 AM
Have moved this from Introduce Yourself to the Westmorland Forum, where it may attract more interest.

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 9:35 AM
Could this be his father

Name: Richard Abbott
Date of Trial: Apr 1819
Trial Year: 1819
Location of Trial: Yorkshire - North Riding, England
Sentence: Imprisonment
Crime: Larceny
Date of Execution or Release: 3 months

gwen646
06-04-2019, 9:50 AM
Thank you so much Sue and Sandy...Very much appreciated

gwen646
06-04-2019, 9:57 AM
All I knew was that Richard abbot* was a poet and his father also named Richard was a farmer and later to be a Quarry man..Wow ive never come across this info before..

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Benson Abbott married Phillis Hope July 1864 • Auckland, Durham

Phillis born 1844 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Death Dec 1919 • Richmond, Yorkshire North Riding, England

Children from this marriage

John Abbot Birth 1864 • Hunwick, Durham, England
Richard Abbot Birth 1865 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Stephen H Abbot Birth 1869 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Alfred W Abbot Birth 1870 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Agnes Abbott Birth 1872 • Eppelby, Yorkshire, England
Sarah E. Abbott Birth 1876 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Teresa M. Abbott Birth 1879 • Cockfield, Durham, England
Margaret Annie Abbot Birth 1881 • Newfield, Durham, England
Arthur Abbot Birth 1887 • Etherley, Durham, England

gwen646
06-04-2019, 10:01 AM
many thanks Sandy..So kind of you

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Benson brought a Quarry and built houses for the workers

I pinched this LOL (So admins might want to delite)

British-Genealogy.com
I live in Abbotts Houses in Butterknowle, In the 1911 census, when you dig a bit, they were originally called Benson Abbott's Houses and were occupied by colliery workers. Benson Abbott was listed as a Quarry Owner until 1891, from then he was listed as a Deputy Overman (deputy supervisor) and eventually pit manager. This downturn in fortunes seems to be supported by his bankruptcy in 1879, the houses are believed to have been built in the late 1870s but do not show in any census pre 1911.

The possibility is that they were built before his bankruptcy but then not occupied until the early 20th century, the "Benson" part of the address seems to disappear around 1911 as it was only the occupiers themselves who called them Benson Houses. The official title by the census was Abbott's Houses but when asked to sign the cover sheets each resident called them Benson's Houses, one even went so far as to write the name "Benson" in pencil next to the official inked version of "Abbotts Houses".

gwen646
06-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks Sandy..I have parts of this script..But there's a few bits that I don't..MANY THANKS...Its saved on my side now :)

gwen646
06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
I am thinking that Amelia and Angelia could be twins

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 10:44 AM
John Abbot
BIRTH APRIL 1847 • Wolsingham, Durham, England
DEATH OCTOBER 1867 • Auckland, Durham
Have him on 51 and 61 Census'

William Abbot
BIRTH ABT 1850 • Cockfield, Durham, England
DEATH APRIL 1865 • Auckland, Durham
Have all info if you want it

Isaac Abbott married 14 May 1881 • Lynesack and Softly, Durham, England
Elizabeth Peltler Birth 1867 • Dalton, Yorkshire, England

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 10:49 AM
I am thinking that Amelia and Angelia could be twins

No just found it Amelia and Angelia are one and the same person transcription error

She married Wilson Elenor born 1854 • Birkley N.Allerton, Yorkshire, England

Angelia Abbot and Wilson Elenor
Registration Year: 1876
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district: Richmond, Yorkshire North Riding

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Found her birth on Free BMD checked mothers maiden name so its the right person

Angelia Abbot born Sept 1857 Auckland, Co. Durham.

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 11:13 AM
What threw me was she is on the 1901 Census as a widow with her Father
Richard and her children. I should look before I jump shouldn't I

gwen646
06-04-2019, 11:33 AM
aww thanks and ime just as bad hehe :)

Sandyhall
06-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Is this enough info for you. I got a job to do at 72 I've lost the plot or 2. Had a letter come now I've gone and lost it so got to go find it as I've got to ring somebody up to make a appointment. I look after 4 year old grandson Zachary so it could be anywhere lol Oh dear. glad to be of help to you.

Pam Downes
06-04-2019, 6:08 PM
Benson brought a Quarry and built houses for the workers

I pinched this LOL (So admins might want to delite)

British-Genealogy.com
I live in Abbotts Houses in Butterknowle, In the 1911 census, when you dig a bit, they were originally called Benson Abbott's Houses and were occupied by colliery workers. Benson Abbott was listed as a Quarry Owner until 1891, from then he was listed as a Deputy Overman (deputy supervisor) and eventually pit manager. This downturn in fortunes seems to be supported by his bankruptcy in 1879, the houses are believed to have been built in the late 1870s but do not show in any census pre 1911.

The possibility is that they were built before his bankruptcy but then not occupied until the early 20th century, the "Benson" part of the address seems to disappear around 1911 as it was only the occupiers themselves who called them Benson Houses. The official title by the census was Abbott's Houses but when asked to sign the cover sheets each resident called them Benson's Houses, one even went so far as to write the name "Benson" in pencil next to the official inked version of "Abbotts Houses".
It would have been easier just to say "Have you seen post #8 in this thread?"
https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/11952-abbot-familly
In which gwen646 had already posted. Albeit several years ago. :biggrin:

Pam

gwen646
08-04-2019, 7:14 PM
Thank you Pam
I had forgotten that i had joined this sight until I stumbled upon it...Many thanks for bringing it to my attention

Sandyhall
09-04-2019, 7:56 AM
It would have been easier just to say "Have you seen post #8 in this thread?"
https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/11952-abbot-familly
In which gwen646 had already posted. Albeit several years ago. :biggrin:

Pam

Hi Pam I didn't take it from B G I found it somewhere else but thanks for the link.

NickyJC
19-04-2021, 4:42 PM
Morning

Hi Gwen

I think I may be able to help with regards to Richard Abbot. His wife, Sarah (nee Greenwell) actually came from Cockfield /Hamsterley in County Durham. She was the sixth child of George Greenwell (of Haggerleases,) and Elizabeth Benson (of Startforth / Boldron).

Richard Abbot & Sarah Greenwell had seven children : Robert (1841- ), Benson (1843-); John (1847 - ), William (1850-), Issac (1856-), Angelia (1858-) and Elizabeth (1864-).

Sorry I haven't got all the dates. Ancestry seem to have deleted my family tree (I do have a copy somewhere). Benson Abbot took over running the quarries at East and West Layton after his father's demise.

He had been given the job after his coal-mining enterprise at Butterknowle suffered some ill fortune (his partners went bankrupt). Benson Abbot was well thought of by the miners as he constructed decent properties for them to live in, and to this day some of the houses he had constructed still bear his name, near Butterknowle.

I'm descended from Richard and Sarah's youngest child - Elizabeth. She married William Allsop, a farmer from Killerby, but later moved back over the River Tees to Egglestone Abbey. My grandmother was their youngest child. I do have a wealth of information gathered about the family which I am happy to share with you.

Jackie
31-03-2022, 9:28 PM
Hello Nicky
I am interested in what you know about Benson Abbot and any coal mine he owned and lost.
My husband Simon is a decendent of Benson Abbot and grew up listening to a story about someone in the family losing a coal mine and someone building Abbots houses but we think the story has been skeward over the years so would love to have anything you can share.
Kind regards
Jackie