PDA

View Full Version : DNA advice

apowell
06-03-2019, 11:08 AM
I've just received my DNA results and as expected 94.8% British but 5.2% Asia (Northwest Caucasus) which was a total surprise. How accurate is 5.2 %? I have found via documentation two Irish family lines and the DNA results stated 7.1% Irish. I'm not sure how I could follow up on this Northwest Caucasus line? Any ideas?

Kind regards
Adrian

davyr
07-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I don't know which test you used, but the Living DNA one, which is the one I went with, is based on the similarity of segments of your DNA to other regional groups in the last 10 generations (250 years or so?). I can't trace any of my direct lines back beyond 6 generations, so any surprises that turned up (none did, in my case) would have been impossible to pin down. My wife, for example, has 12.5% Scandinavian and 12.5% Germanic in the last 10 generations, but no idea of where that comes from. Some people obviously travelled a lot further and more often than we previously thought! Sorry, that's not much help, is it?

Guy Etchells
08-03-2019, 7:48 AM
I've just received my DNA results and as expected 94.8% British but 5.2% Asia (Northwest Caucasus) which was a total surprise. How accurate is 5.2 %? I have found via documentation two Irish family lines and the DNA results stated 7.1% Irish. I'm not sure how I could follow up on this Northwest Caucasus line? Any ideas?

Kind regards
Adrian

The ethnicity results are slightly more accurate than throwing a dart at a map on the floor.
Cheers
Guy