PDA

View Full Version : Qualification for Medals

Patricia M
18-02-2019, 11:59 AM
This is my first post and hopefully I've put it in the most appropriate part of the forum.
My late father enlisted in 1939 as a 14 year old boy soldier and posted to the ranks (RE) in April 1943. He was in India from March 1945 and returned to the UK in December 1946. Then to BAOR from 1948 until Feb 1954. Then posted to Cyprus March 1954 where he remained until March 1957. He eventually left the army in April 1959, having served for a total of 19 years 271 days. His service record shows that he was awarded the Defence Medal, the 1939/45 War Medal, the British Empire Medal in 1950 and the LS AND GC Medal in 1957. My question is, why has he not received recognition for his service in Cyprus? I understand that the clasp awarded for service in Cyprus had to be attached to a GS Medal but I don't quite understand why he didn't get that medal. I'm hoping that some kind person can clarify for me.
Many thanks, Patricia

timbo58
18-02-2019, 1:38 PM
There are two GSM medals the 1918 GSM and the 1962 GSM.
The clasp for service in Cyprus on the 1918 GSM is for service between 1st April – 18th April 1959 only.
The Later 1962 GSM Cyprus clasp is for 21 December 1963 to 26 March 1964.
The GSM and clasp for this service alone was only made during the two emergency periods, any service on Cyprus outside of those times didn't qualify and still doesn't for those currently serving.

Patricia M
18-02-2019, 1:55 PM
Many thanks, tim bo58. What a clear and informative answer. I've been told all sorts of vague things by others which never quite sounded feasible but now I fully understand. Although it's strange that my brother and I both have memories of the 'troubles' in Cyprus. My brother, who is older than me, remembers armed guards at school etc. Many thanks again.

timbo58
18-02-2019, 3:31 PM
Yes, my Uncle has the GSM with clasp and was only telling me about this last year when he flew back to the UK from Australia on a flying visit at the age of 90!
We visited Cyprus a few years back, beautiful island with a sad history.

Patricia M
18-02-2019, 3:52 PM
My Dad lived in Germany from 1969 -2016 after he married a German lady after my Mum died. He died just 2 weeks short of his 91st birthday. My stepmother has given us Dad's medals and they are now in Australia with my brother. He has 3 sons all carrying the family surname and they all have sons of their own so it seemed appropriate. I have sons but they have a different surname and I will be purchasing some replica medals to keep with the family in the UK.
How wonderful that your uncle made the visit from Australia.......... time seems to be passing so quickly; our WW2 veterans are getting fewer. Thanks again for your help

Lesley Robertson
19-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Amazing how many of us were there. We were there (RAF) for both the EOKA and ENOSIS activity. i remember chicken wire on the school bus windows to keep missiles out, and armed guards as well. Strict security on the camp gates, etc, etc. When I was in the 6th form, evacuation practice.

And yes, we had a great time.