21-10-2005, 1:11 PM
just found ,
John Richard Cowles 02-03-1916
Constance(nee Chappel) 29-03-1918
Jack Cowles 03-06-1938
Michael Cowles 30-11-1945
Christopher Cowles 14-02-1953
Canberra.
Left England 24-12-1956 - ship STRATHNAVER.
anyone out there ?
Someone in Sheffield England would like to know whats happened yo the family

ChristineR
23-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Why dont you try the telephone directory.
None of the names you mentioned came up in the Victoria Death index 1921 - 1985. New South Wales deaths are available online if you would like to check. Woomera is in South Australia? they do not have online records.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.jhtml

Christine

PS - using the angry red smilie will not help! You need to allow for the time difference to get a reply - while you are posting in Sheffield we are probably in bed downunder.

AW014R2799
23-10-2005, 10:34 AM
thanks christine,
you'll be in bed again , it's 9-47am here . i use the grim smilie because thats how i feel sometimes frustrated . good of you to get intouch .
i will try what you've suggested.
i have been at this (family tree) 22yrs, got back to 1030 on one side , have'nt got a wall big enough to put it on. so now i'm looking up old friends.
actually jack cowles was my old boyfriend , he did'nt want to emigrate but his mom and dad would'nt go without him , would just like to know how life has treated him . thats if he's still with us ,he'd be 68yrs now.
thanks again ,
val

hope full
23-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Val

No connection to your Cowles I'm afraid, but I was just gobsmacked to learn that you've gone back to 1030. Amazing, there's hope for me yet.
I've been doing this for a while, but about 5 years REALLY seriously.
The internet has been such a boon, but documentation and therefore proof is so hard to get the further back I go, I'm proud that I've just touched the 16th century on one of my branches. I don't know why you're frowning? :mad: Some tips please, how have you done it?

best wishes
Hope

AW014R2799
23-10-2005, 12:00 PM
hi hope full,
was fortunate to have a family that went back to a title.
Sir William Gascoigne of Harewood Hall , we are the poor relations. the family branched off that many times,some of them had about 16 children and more. the title was passed so many times , i am a decendant of Thomas Gascoigne 1764 .i just hope its right , took me ages to work it out , because of a miss spelled surname ,
i am stuck on 1750's with about 8 gt.gt.gt.gt. grandparents .
good luck ,
val

hope full
23-10-2005, 2:02 PM
Hello again Val

Upper echelons eh? Well that would explain it. I've got quite a few tradesmen, and lots and lots of labourers;) My one and only jewel in the crown was a young lady who managed to marry quite well, (a bit of cash )and left a will :D Everywhere else on the 'tree' there are the labourers(all varieties) blacksmiths, servants etc;
What great fun though, I'm totally hooked.

Hope