PDA

View Full Version : WOT, No Trafalgar Posts?

peter nicholl
21-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Come on there must be someone else who's interested in the 200th Anniversary of Trafalgar!|shocked| Not that I had anyone there, but I do know of two who built one of the ships. Or is it that everyone else has Spliced the Mainbrace already (and the sun not yet over the yardarm) and are in no fit state to post:D .

Peter

busyglen
21-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Well I for one will be celebrating so you are not alone Peter!!

My husband and I (sorry for that!) with a group of other people, meet several times a year for a lunch or dinner to celebrate certain occasions. We all pay £5 over the top for a local charity which is a childrens hospice. As some of the menfolk are ex-navy, army and airforce, we celebrate things like `Battle of Britain' day, The Battle of the Nile, Battle of Waterloo, Trafalgar Day, and Remembrance Sunday, and St. Georges Day. We always hold them on the nearest Saturday, with the exception of Remembrance Sunday.

As this is a `special' event `The 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar' we are having a dinner this evening. There will be a special commemorative
engraved item that will be unique and will have the provenance of our group to go with it. A few years ago we celebrated (I forget the number of years)
the Battle of the Nile, and we had engraved glasses with a programme which listed all of our names and the gentlemen's ranks etc. It's nice to keep.

So yes.....there are a few out here that are celebrating, and making money too!! Pass the Port! ;)

Cheers |cheers|

Glenys

peter nicholl
21-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Well done Glenys, I especially liked the gifts to the childrens hospice. Pencil into your diary The Battle of the Nile gives the opportunity for an "all-nighter" 1-2 August 1798 and although it nearly clashes with Trafalgar Day, what about Camperdown, 11 October 1797?

Peter
ps for those below deck this calls for neaters rather than grog.

Geoffers
21-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I was waiting for roughly the time when Royal Sovereign returned fire to the enemy fleets and the battle began, for the Royal Navy.

I was born in Pompey, to a naval family whose ancestors came from Norfolk and I too will be celebrating the victory - and remembering the loss, not just of Admiral Lord Nelson, but the gallant men from all three fleets who lost their lives in the action off Trafalgar.

Cheers

Geoffers

hope full
21-10-2005, 1:05 PM
Enjoy the celebrations all :)
Toast the heroes............. and I'll be raising a glass to Emma & Horatia too.

best wishes
Hope

AnnB
21-10-2005, 2:24 PM
Neither my husband or I come from a Naval background, but we have always had a fascination with anything to do with Nelson and his Navy, so we'll certainly be raising a glass later on.

Whilst we were researching for a book we compiled several years ago about a Naval sloop, we spent many hours at Kew and amongst a box of Captain's letters we came across one written by Nelson in which he was trying to defend the actions of one of his sailors who had got himself in a bit of bother.

It was an amazing thing to sit holding that letter.

Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
21-10-2005, 4:14 PM
I forgot to mention Peter, that tomorrow, (after a late night) we are dashing off to Portsmouth for another Trafalgar celebration....gluttons for punishment!! I'm really getting too old for all this `partying'!!

Thanks for the dates....we celebrated the 200th Battle of the Nile on 1st August 1998. I've just checked the glasses we received. Not sure about the Camperdown though.....that's one that alludes me.

Glenys

Geoffers
21-10-2005, 4:35 PM
Whilst remembering Nelson et al, let us also not forget the poor unfortunate pig from the (French) 'Achille' The ship was reduced to a burning wreck by bombardment from a succession of British ships. She eventually blew up just before 6PM.

British ships sent boats to look for survivors picked up over 200 crew from the sea. Amongst them all they found a naked woman (!) and a pig!!!!!

I've often mulled over the fate of the poor creature, presumably terrified by the battle, swimming for life in the sea and rescued by the crew of the 'Euryalus' - the resuce was short lived as the pig joined the crew of the British frigate as chief guest for dinner :eek:

So raise a glass to Nelson, those who fell in battle - and the pig from the 'Achille'.|cheers|

Geoffers

AnnB
21-10-2005, 4:57 PM
British ships sent boats to look for survivors picked up over 200 crew from the sea. Amongst them all they found a naked woman (!) and a pig!!!!!
|cheers|
Geoffers
Never mind the pig, Geoffers, what happened to the naked woman - or perhaps I shouldn't ask :o

Best wishes
Ann

Geoffers
21-10-2005, 6:30 PM
Never mind the pig Geoffers
Oh! - Poor pig

[QUOTE=AnnBwhat happened to the naked woman - or perhaps I shouldn't ask[/QUOTE]
The lady's name was Jeanette and it turned out that she was the wife of a French seaman, and had stowed away on the Achille. The British crew gave her clothes, the Captain had a petticoat made from two shirts; after a few days it was found that her husband had been one of those rescued from the sea and they were reunited.

Though I do wonder why she was naked? Perhaps the Frenchman, thinking that the end was about to come decided to spend his last few minutes...........;)

Geoffers

AnnB
21-10-2005, 6:51 PM
Geoffers[/QUOTE]

The lady's name was Jeanette and it turned out that she was the wife of a French seaman, and had stowed away on the Achille. The British crew gave her clothes, the Captain had a petticoat made from two shirts; after a few days it was found that her husband had been one of those rescued from the sea and they were reunited.

Though I do wonder why she was naked? Perhaps the Frenchman, thinking that the end was about to come decided to spend his last few minutes...........;)

Geoffers
Say no more :o

However, how typical of the British crew to spare poor Jeanette her blushes. I can just hear the conversation, "Now I need a couple of shirts to make this Lady a petticoat, and a couple of volunteers to do the needlework." So the sailmaker gets lumbered and a couple of midshipmen lose their shirts just to save Jeanette's blushes. And she was French.

And when her husband saw her again his first reaction was, "I've never seen that petticoat before" (see, being French he would probably notice such things, unlike his British counterparts ;) )

Enjoy the rest of Trafalgar Day
Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
22-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Morning all, just had to tell you that we had a lovely evening in celebration of the Battle of Trafalgar last night. We received a lovely goblet each, etched with the date and etc. ......and....there was a raffle for a special prize and guess who won it?? Yes..little old me!! It was a presentation box with two tot glasses and a small rum decanter with HMS Victory etched on it. I was so thrilled as I rarely win anything at raffles. We had a marvellous speech by a friend of ours who had measured the hall we were in, and it was very similar in size to the Victory. We were able to imagine all of the people crammed into the small places as he took us through the battle. I've been on the Victory many times, but this time it seemed more real, even though we were actually sitting in a hall.

Just off for a 2-3 hour drive to Portsmouth for the `next' celebration!!

Glenys

Lynda Cunningham
22-10-2005, 1:06 PM
We were able to imagine all of the people crammed into the small places as he took us through the battle. I've been on the Victory many times, but this time it seemed more real, even though we were actually sitting in a hall.

That'll be the rum, hic ;) cheers
Have a good time in Portsmouth

Besy wishes
Lynda

AnnB
22-10-2005, 4:27 PM
Morning all, just had to tell you that we had a lovely evening in celebration of the Battle of Trafalgar last night.
Glenys
Sounds like a lovely time was had by all and well done for winning the raffle :D

I wonder if you had pork for dinner;)

Best wishes
Ann

busyglen
24-10-2005, 3:27 PM
Sounds like a lovely time was had by all and well done for winning the raffle :D

I wonder if you had pork for dinner;)

Best wishes
Ann

Strangely enough Ann, we DID have pork! :) What a coincidence!!

Glenys

get2BJ
24-12-2005, 8:42 PM
Turner's painting of the 'The Fighting Temeraire' was voted the Greatest Painting in Britain on 22nd December 2005, by the listeners of BBC Radio 4. This is particularly significant, with this year marking the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

A programme will be broadcast on Radio 4, on Thursday 29th December 2005 between 11.30am-12.00 noon, exploring the story of the real-life HMS Temeraire. (92-95 FM & 198LW or Digital Radio, Digital TV and online.)

The painting can be viewed here:
http://www.j-m-w-turner.co.uk/artist/turner-temeraire.htm with accompanying information about the final battle of the ship;

or here, for art officianados:
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/T/turner/temeraire.jpg.html

Best Wishes

Brenda

Mythology
25-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Somebody ring me on Thursday morning and remind me.

I have an interest in the Temeraire on account of a certain Simeon Busigny, Captain of the Royal Marines - two of my girls married two of his sons as their second husbands.

I wouldn't mind listening to that, but I expect that I'll remember half an hour after it's finished.

Geoffers
25-12-2005, 9:48 PM
I wouldn't mind listening to that, but I expect that I'll remember half an hour after it's finished.Don't forget that if you miss a programme on Radio 4, you can listen to many of them on the Radio 4 web-site.

Geoffers

Pam Downes
29-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Somebody ring me on Thursday morning and remind me.

I have an interest in the Temeraire on account of a certain Simeon Busigny, Captain of the Royal Marines - two of my girls married two of his sons as their second husbands.

I wouldn't mind listening to that, but I expect that I'll remember half an hour after it's finished.
Morning Myth,
Can't ring you but I can bombard you with messages. :)
Put your radio on *now*. Yes, I know you'll have to suffer Woman's Hour, but sometimes ones has to make sacrifices :D
Pam Downes

Mythology
29-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you, Pam - and for the e-mail. :)

Needless to say, I had no idea what day of the week it was until your e-mail arrived, would have missed it and had to try the Geoffers solution later.

"you'll have to suffer Woman's Hour, but sometimes ones has to make sacrifices"

For that sort of sacrifice, I'd expect you to put a statue of me in Trafalgar Square. |biggrin|

(Luckily, this radio has one of those clever "snooze" timers, so I have just set this for 45 minutes)