PDA

View Full Version : Viewing and installing LDS discs

Chasing Caseys
19-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I have the LDS 1881 census for Great Britain.
Have installed the viewer as instructed on the first bit

Second bit Instructions say
When installing the 1881 British Census, you must install both the National Index and disc 1 of any region.

There are 8 discs that have National Index written on them. :confused:
Which National Index do i install ?

I am obviously misreading this can someone explain it to me ?
The users manual it seems is only understandable if you know what your doing.

Plese help :)

Jo Simpsons
19-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi Tracey,

I'm sure I just added any one of the national index. I thought it not so clear either.
Jo :)

Chasing Caseys
19-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Jo

Your right it doesnt matter which one you install. I wish they just said insert ANY disc but that would be too simple |banghead|. Worked it out just as you replied still got to get to grips with it though :rolleyes:
Any tips welcome :)
Thank you

Chasing Caseys
19-10-2005, 12:40 PM
|blush| it did say ANY disc but only of any region not National index :rolleyes:

Peter Goodey
19-10-2005, 12:45 PM
From memory, I think I just used the first CD but perhaps any one of them works.

Jo Simpsons
19-10-2005, 1:18 PM
Well some things you may have seen but I missed first off.

If you press F9 it gives the occupation on the results.
You don't have to use the search box that comes up. If you cancel that and use "search" at the top and pick "neigbors-advanced query" you get another box. From that you can search say occupations or a street address.

Guy Etchells
19-10-2005, 1:36 PM
I have the LDS 1881 census for Great Britain.
Have installed the viewer as instructed on the first bit

Second bit Instructions say
When installing the 1881 British Census, you must install both the National Index and disc 1 of any region.

There are 8 discs that have National Index written on them. :confused:
Which National Index do i install ?

I am obviously misreading this can someone explain it to me ?
The users manual it seems is only understandable if you know what your doing.

Plese help :)
Disc 1 National Index to 1881 British Census A-B
and Disc 1 of any of the regions
example-
1881 British Census East Anglia Region Disk 1
Cheers
Guy

Chasing Caseys
19-10-2005, 2:52 PM
Thank you to all for your help.
But watch this space :confused:

Guy Etchells
19-10-2005, 7:05 PM
Well some things you may have seen but I missed first off.

If you press F9 it gives the occupation on the results.
You don't have to use the search box that comes up. If you cancel that and use "search" at the top and pick "neigbors-advanced query" you get another box. From that you can search say occupations or a street address.

The Neighbours Advanced Query option came I believe with viewer version 3 and later.
Cheers
Guy

Mark
19-10-2005, 7:11 PM
If you have sufficient hard disk space available, you'll save yourself a lot of CD swapping by doing a "network" install. It's also much faster at searching the records.

Mark

Jo Simpsons
19-10-2005, 8:15 PM
yes Guy was going to say that. My viewer is 4.0. I just had a look cos I thought you could buy just a newer viewer but I couldn't see it. :confused:

Does help though
When looking though on the website FAQ it says for having occupations either F9 or Details, can you see that Scottie?
Haven't done that Mark, will have to see if I can :confused: LOL

Guy Etchells
19-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, you can upgrade either by purchasing the viewer by itself, the Mormon Immigration Index (which includes the upgraded viewer) or the British Isles Vital Records Index.
The first two options cost about the same.
Write or phone to-

LDS Church Distribution Centre
399 Garretts Green Lane
Birmingham B33 0UH

Tel: 0121 785 2200

Direct Line for Family History CD orders
by debit/credit card: 0870 010 20 51

I haven't phoned them for some time so the above numbers may have changed.
Cheers
Guy

Ken Boyce
20-10-2005, 8:36 AM
[QUOTE=
Jo :)[/QUOTE]

BE WARNED!
Using the advanced search box provides access to a powerful but frustrating search engine and can lead to problems unless one follows rigid guidlines for entering the search strings.

1 It is usually best to first type the search string in Notepad and then paste into the search box unless you are knowledgable of how enter the strings on the fly

2 Do not try to edit the string in the box or try to delete parts - use shift + end/home keys to swip the complete string and then delete the whole thing in one movement

Failure to follow 1 & 2 above will at min keep starting the engine on pointless searches and at most may send it off on a long non-stoppable journey

3 Be aware that this method does not search all the complete Metro Region
data in one session The program searches the same London data irrespective of whether Region Disk 1 or 2 is inserted but requires a repeat search if the district and counties of interest are on disk 3 and again for disk 4 So coverage of the full Metro Area requires three independent searches. When using the individual search feature it is more obvious what areas are being searched

Regards

Mary Young
20-10-2005, 7:06 PM
If you have sufficient hard disk space available, you'll save yourself a lot of CD swapping by doing a "network" install. It's also much faster at searching the records.Hi, Mark
That sounds great! Are there instructions somewhere - perhaps on the Internet - or can you describe how to do it?

Guy Etchells
20-10-2005, 7:18 PM
Hi, Mark
That sounds great! Are there instructions somewhere - perhaps on the Internet - or can you describe how to do it?

Hang on a minute, I'll do a google search - Oh! no need! ;)
Try-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Eframland/framland/1881.htm
Cheers
Guy

Mary Young
20-10-2005, 7:35 PM
Thanks Guy! Should have googled for myself. but I'm on a v.slow dialup line just now, think my brain slowed down in sympathy. :)

Guy Etchells
20-10-2005, 7:37 PM
No probs. Mary I was having a bit of fun as it is one of my sites.
Cheers
Guy

Chasing Caseys
20-10-2005, 9:20 PM
Glad i posted this question :confused:
Its a shame Guy,s instructions werent included with the disc set. My confusion now lies mostly with the Scottish discs as i read on another site not to take the Highland and Lowland description as gospel as if i cant find who im looking for on one i may find them on the other |banghead|

Mary Young
21-10-2005, 7:46 PM
My confusion now lies mostly with the Scottish discs as i read on another site not to take the Highland and Lowland description as gospel as if i cant find who im looking for on one i may find them on the other.Tracey : I think LDS split the country by population rather than geography, so the "highland line" extends to the Firth of Forth, and Fife ends up in the Highlands! . Also note, anyone on board a ship anywhere in Scotland, is on the Lowlands CD.

Guy - I read you instructions for installing the 1881 on D:\ drive. Very easy to follow - but can you clarify:

must the installation be on a separate drive? and could I install just the Viewer and 2 Scottish regional CDs?

Chasing Caseys
21-10-2005, 8:52 PM
Tracey : I think LDS split the country by population rather than geography, so the "highland line" extends to the Firth of Forth, and Fife ends up in the Highlands! . Also note, anyone on board a ship anywhere in Scotland, is on the Lowlands CD.

Mary, you may be hearing more from me asking for tips :D

Ron Leech
22-10-2005, 9:01 AM
If you have sufficient hard disk space available, you'll save yourself a lot of CD swapping by doing a "network" install.
Mark
Mark

Do you have any details for doing this I read about it some time ago but can't find the notes now.

Mark
22-10-2005, 1:06 PM
Mark
Do you have any details for doing this I read about it some time ago but can't find the notes now.

I refer you to the answer given by the honourable gentleman a few moments ago ...

Hang on a minute, I'll do a google search - Oh! no need! ;)
Try-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Eframland/framland/1881.htm
Cheers
Guy

Mark

Ron Leech
23-10-2005, 8:15 AM
Thanks Mark and Guy

Takes up quite a lot of space but well worth doing when you are looking up a number of ancestors.

Mary Young
23-05-2006, 10:47 AM
The Neighbours Advanced Query option came I believe with viewer version 3 and later.Hello, Guy
Is there any advantage in moving from version 3 to version 4? And is 4.0 the latest version?