PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Name interests

PatMac
19-10-2004, 5:09 AM
Direct ancestors: COVELL, ROOK, DENNIS, FARROW.

NOt direct, but strong interest: BUTTLE, CUBITT, RUMP, COOK.

Time frames, mainly: 1700 - 1900.

Have a large concentration of COVELLs around Felmingham, Dilham, N. Walsham and Worstead, most of whom originated with GEORGE COVELL and SARAH FARROW, ( both born circa 1750) who set up residence in Felmingham after their marriage, but apparently came there from another location in Norfolk.

I've been using B-G for quite a while, but thought I'd take the opportunity afforded by the system changes to get back to basics!

Thanks to all who've been so helpful in the past!

Geoffers
19-10-2004, 7:01 AM
Have a large concentration of COVELLs around Felmingham, Dilham, N. Walsham and Worstead, most of whom originated with GEORGE COVELL and SARAH FARROW, ( both born circa 1750) who set up residence in Felmingham after their marriage, but apparently came there from another location in Norfolk.
Can't help with Sarah Farrow, but on the Norfolk Transcription Archive
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
we have a George COVEL bapt 1746 in Neatishead, which is only a hop, skip and a jump from Dilham.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

PatMac
26-10-2004, 5:45 PM
Thanks, Geoff, I had spotted that George myself, but have been waiting for a cousin to do some actual leg-work in tracking down both George and his wife Sarah Farrow.
Wherever he sprang from, he was, reportedly, a "rat-catcher" by occupation, and this occupation was passed down at least one family line. I will pass along this little piece of information to my cousin in the UK, though. Hopefully he can include Neatishead on his list of places to visit in Norfolk.

revdfg
27-10-2004, 6:10 AM
Direct ancestors: COVELL, ROOK, DENNIS, FARROW.

NOt direct, but strong interest: BUTTLE, CUBITT, RUMP, COOK.

Time frames, mainly: 1700 - 1900.

I've been using B-G for quite a while, but thought I'd take the opportunity afforded by the system changes to get back to basics!

Thanks to all who've been so helpful in the past!
I have some Buttles in my tree.

Sue R
06-11-2004, 3:16 AM
Hi
What DENNIS family are you interested in? What was their area, names etc.? DENNIS is one of my main interests, being my mother's maiden name.

PatMac
14-11-2004, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the reference. Your Buttles go a little further back than "mine". I have a Maria Covell, born @ 1832, who married a William Buttle born @ 1836, and had a few little Buttles by him. One of my cousins in Australia has been tracking them down, in an attempt to fill in some historical "gaps", although Maria is not part of the DIRECT line for either of us. If you have anything that would link in the William Buttle mentioned above, though, I could pass the information along.

PatMac
14-11-2004, 3:22 PM
Hi
What DENNIS family are you interested in? What was their area, names etc.? DENNIS is one of my main interests, being my mother's maiden name.
I have a Maria Dennis in my DIRECT line. She was born about 1801, married a Benjamin Covell in 1821. One of their children, Edward William Cubitt Covell, born @ 1832, was my great-great grandfather. He migrated from Norfolk up to Yorkshire, along with a couple of siblings. I have almost nothing on this Maria's family, except that they lived in Norfolk. I'd like to be able to trace back the Dennis line, if you have any information on her parents and siblings. It's possible Maria had a child, James Dennis, prior to her marriage to Benjamin. If so, then this James married a Charlotte Pull in 1841. I also
found a child named Caroline Dennis, aged 14, living with a Robert and Juliana (Rook)Covell on the 1881 census. If you have any information on these Dennis individuals, please contact me again using my personal email address.

PatMac
14-11-2004, 3:28 PM
Can't help with Sarah Farrow, but on the Norfolk Transcription Archive
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
we have a George COVEL bapt 1746 in Neatishead, which is only a hop, skip and a jump from Dilham.

Geoffers
Charlbury, OxfordshireHi again, Geoffers! I'm not sure what YOU consider a "hop, skip and a jump", but Neatishead and Dilham look to be a little further apart than that! I realize that folks out in the country measure distances a little differently, and that folks in the old days did far more walking than we do today, but did they really wear "seven-league boots"?

Pam Downes
14-11-2004, 5:55 PM
Hi again, Geoffers! I'm not sure what YOU consider a "hop, skip and a jump", but Neatishead and Dilham look to be a little further apart than that! I realize that folks out in the country measure distances a little differently, and that folks in the old days did far more walking than we do today, but did they really wear "seven-league boots"?

3.2 miles according to the Genuki mileage calculator.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/howfar

Which is a hop skip and a jump when you consider that when my granny was young she used to walk 7 miles into town on market days.

Pam Downes

Geoffers
14-11-2004, 6:50 PM
Hi again, Geoffers! I'm not sure what YOU consider a "hop, skip and a jump", but Neatishead and Dilham look to be a little further apart than that! I realize that folks out in the country measure distances a little differently, and that folks in the old days did far more walking than we do today, but did they really wear "seven-league boots"?
As a 'gud ol'bor' once said to me in a Pub (The Recruiting Sergeant) in Horstead

"taint no further than a Norfick bor wuld walk for a free pint"

Geoffers

PatMac
06-01-2005, 5:34 PM
I guess it's time to get back to the research again?

I'm no closer to learning about my Dennis ancestors than I was a couple of months ago, though it was nice to digress and speculate about walking distances.

I would appreciate any information on the Dennis name, especially as it appears in Norfolk. I recently puchased the 1851 census CD that includes Devon, Norfolk and Warwickshire, and will be happy to do look-ups on request.

Winter has set in here in the US Midwest, which means I will be staying closer to home for a few months, and getting back to my family history again!

Here are some other names connected to the Covells on the distaff side which are of major interest: ROOK, RUMP, SIDELL, NEAL(E), FARROW.

Thanks to all who've provided both interesting and valuable information in the past, and to those who haven't as yet, but I'm certain WILL in the future!

PatMac

OzyBob
26-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Patmac,
I am doing the covell family Tree here in Australia my William Coble aka covell born Felmingham Norfolk on 2 Dec 1810 (F) Robert Covell born 1779 and married a Amy Neale in 1807 at Felmingham Norfolk so we might be able to help each other with some information we do share with the surname Covell.
I would like to hear from you if thats ok your end my Email is [email protected] any time if have gone back to a George Covell married in 1734 in North Walsham Church, Norfolk, England. if you like it dose go passed George Covell and Sarah Farrow that married in1771 at Swanton Abbott, Norfolk, England.
So will wait for your answer on this information Patmac.

OzyBob.
Syndey.
Australia.

PatMac
30-05-2006, 8:13 PM
I have some Buttles in my tree. See www.gencircles.com/users/revdfg
I just got his message today!! I did a quick check on your Buttles, but they don't match up, I'm sorry to say. But onward and upward, we can aways be hopeful! Hope the weather's good in Worcestershire, It's muggy, muggy, muggy here, though it looks as though we're about to get a thunderstorm, so I'd better go batten down the hatches!

PatMac
30-05-2006, 8:19 PM
Hi Patmac,
I am doing the covell family Tree here in Australia my William Coble aka covell born Felmingham Norfolk on 2 Dec 1810 (F) Robert Covell born 1779 and married a Amy Neale in 1807 at Felmingham Norfolk so we might be able to help each other with some information we do share with the surname Covell.
I would like to hear from you if thats ok your end my Email is [email protected] any time if have gone back to a George Covell married in 1734 in North Walsham Church, Norfolk, England. if you like it dose go passed George Covell and Sarah Farrow that married in1771 at Swanton Abbott, Norfolk, England.
So will wait for your answer on this information Patmac.

OzyBob.
Syndey.
Australia.
Hi, Ozybob, fancy meeting YOU here at B-G Forums, though I believe we've met before in another time and place?

PatMac!! Short for Pat McNamee, over in the US??? Nice hearing from you again though, now let me get back to work on "OUR" Covells, OK?