PDA

View Full Version : Connecting the Shenton through Lanc's

shentonjim
19-10-2004, 4:23 AM
Two migration paths through Preston and Manchester. The one of imediate interest is through Preston Garstang Goosnagh and on to Whalley, they appear to marry, then disappear. Have traced back to my gggarandfather James Shenton according to 1851/61 census born in Whalley, can not find in parish registra. Have his marrage certificate of 1842 Dec. 20 in St Peter Burnley to Elizabeth Ashworth as minors place of residance at the tome of marrage Robert Row Hab Eaves James father is Thomas weaver, Elizabeth is Henry collier. Still searching the 1841 census, ages appear to be 20 & 19 can not find Elizabeth birth/ christing IN Burnley

Geoffers
19-10-2004, 7:28 AM
my gggarandfather James Shenton according to 1851/61 census born in Whalley, can not find in parish registra. Have his marrage certificate of 1842 Dec. 20 in St Peter Burnley
Just some ideas

1) Have you checked the parish registers for seevral years after his birth? During the 19th century quite a few people wer baptised several years after birth (the sister of my gt-gt-grandfather was baptsed age 23)

2) Have you tried non-conformist registers as well as CofE?

3) Have you tried surrounding parishes? I've come across instances of children being born in one parish (accurately recorded in later census') and the parents moving to a neighbouring parish for work and having children baptised there.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

shentonjim
20-10-2004, 5:52 AM
Geoffers have search all through the parish whalley register and most of the serouding area and the nonconformist that i could find was tring to find them the 1841 census have a bad copy many blanks and have searched many times thanks for hints