PDA

View Full Version : Seymour in Keinton area

clairesaus
17-10-2005, 3:16 AM
Hi Everyone
I am interested in any info on any Seymours in the Keinton area (I have the 1881 info) has anyone the 1841 census? as I am interested in a Henry b approx 1821 maybe still in Keinton in 1841? in 1881 he is in Yarm in Yorkshire & has married a local woman & children born there. The men all seem to of been Stone masons
Many thanks
Clairesaus

DebbieAnn
17-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Keinton was in the Langport district of Somerset. Doing a search on the IGI, I found a Paul Seymour b: Sep qtr 1838, Langport (vol 10 pg 409) and the marriage of a Martha Seymour m: Dec qtr 1844, Langport (vol 10 pg 635). It looks like she married Charles Bee Wilton. Martha is of an age to Henry, and may be a close relative. Paul also may be closely related. It might be worth it to send for the certificates to see if the town they lived in was Keinton, and who their fathers were.

In the 1901 census, Thomas M.C. Seymour and his sister Helen M. Seymour were staying with their sister Mary C. Hacker, her husband Henry G., and their children Dora R. and Eva B. Hacker.

Next door to them is 73-yr-old John Dyke and his son Henry. John is the Innkeeper for a pub on Castle Street. This pub still exists and goes by the name Three Old Castles Inn (Three Old Castles Inn, Castle Street, Keinton Mandeville, Somerton, TA116DX, Telephone: +44(0)1458 223619).

The family tree I referenced to you in the Yorkshire thread lists Henry Seymour's middle name as Dyke, not Duke as you have it. Is it possible that this John Dyke is the innkeeper you referenced as owner of the Keinton Ox, and that the pub was inside the Three Old Castles Inn? Perhaps he's related to Henry... (could Henry's mother's maiden name have been Dyke, given to Henry as a middle name, and John be his mother's brother's son? John would have been born c. 1827, and the census gives his pob as Keinton Mandeville, Somerset).

It might be worth while looking up John Dyke in the 1841 census as well...

Debbie

DebbieAnn
18-10-2005, 12:04 AM
It looks like Thomas M. C. Seymour was b: Mar qtr 1871, Sherborne, Dorset. Funny thing, the records are currently kept in Yeovil, same as the records from Langport (Keinton) are. Maybe thy're adjacent? One more place to look...

Also, 79-yr-old James Seymour d: Sep qtr 1867, Langport (vol 5c pg 270). He would have been b: c. 1788, which would make him of an age to have been Henry's father. Perhaps the death certificate would give valuable information...

Debbie

kmdward
19-10-2005, 3:11 AM
1841 Census Keinton co Somerset HO107/937

folio 9
Joseph Seymour, 47, stone cutter, yes.
Mary Seymour, 43, yes
Betsy Seymour, 20, yes
Henry Seymour, 18, yes
Benjamin Seymour, 14, yes
Caleb Seymour, 14, yes
Sarah Seymour, 13, yes
Selinah Seymour, 11, yes
Robert Seymour, 7, yes
Ebinizer Seymour, 5, yes
Paul Seymour, 3, yes
Jane Seymour, 9 months, yes.

A lovely enurameter he put the actual ages down of everyone.
No other Seymour families.
But two families of Dykes, one of which a Stone Cutter .

Folio 7
Robert Dyke, 45, stone cutter, yes
Elizbeth Dyke, 45, yes
Caroline Dyke, 18, yes
Henry Dyke, 17, yes
Sidney Dyke, 15, yes
John Dyke, 10, yes
Edward Dyke, 9, yes
Elizabeth Dyke, 7, yes.

Folio 8
Joseph Dyke, 42, inn keeper, yes
Eliza Dyke, 41, yes