Also, to remember civilian Casualties such as Lilian Primrose Selley

Zelley
16-10-2005, 8:56 AM
Many such as Sgt. ADAIR, A D G LOVELL, C A SMITH, and
Sgt. A. W. WOOLLEY.
Names to ponder: Akroyd, Aldous, Armitage, Bann, Bazley, Bushell

Geoffers
16-10-2005, 11:29 AM
There are of course sites dedicated to the memory of those who died in WW2 and other conflicts.

These include The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

and 'Roll of Honour'
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/

Geoffers

Zelley
16-10-2005, 9:49 PM
There are of course sites dedicated to the memory of those who died in WW2 and other conflicts.
These include The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx
and 'Roll of Honour'
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/
Geoffers

I would like to think that this thread is an opportunity for all to select a few connected names from the lists and remember their own special group of Casualties such as John (Jack) PHILLIPS of Canada or Edward (Ted) GODBOLD with Yorkshire - Co. Durham and Suffolk connections , or even one of the TILSTON folks from North Wales.

Peter Goodey
16-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I think Geoffers has pointed you towards sites which adequately cover this sort of thing.

Zelley
17-10-2005, 2:24 AM
All or any specific sites are welcome as we highlight a few of the many that did not return

Zelley
17-10-2005, 2:35 AM
I think Geoffers has pointed you towards sites which adequately cover this sort of thing.

Peter, Geoffers did point out a few good sites. However, this is a History thread. Therfore, it would be beneficial if we post our own version of history.

For instance, the CWGC site is not going to be able to outline
the life and times of say Edward GODBOLD. The site will not reveal the name of the son that he never saw. At will not know or tell the things is brother George Arthur GODBOLD of the Leicestershire Regiment told him
before "Ted" joined a Highlander Regiment. The CWGC site is not
going to be able to tell the military history of Edward's father Oscar GODBOLD.

So, for all members of this site, please use those other sites to confirm a name or year, but this thread is to remember them in the context of family history not just a name on a page.
:)

Geoffers
17-10-2005, 8:11 AM
The CWGC site is not going to be able to tell the military history of Edward's father Oscar GODBOLD.But neither is simply typing into a message 'C A Smith' - which of the many C A Smith's is this? I mean no offence to the memory of this, or any other person who died in conflict, but what does simply typing those seven letters add to the 'context', knowledge or memory of this person?

Beginning a message - "A thread to list those lost in WW II:" suggests that someone has the idea of simply listing the war dead. As pointed out, this is amply covered on other web-sites. I could easily type out a list of a couple of dozen from my direct family who died in the two world wars - this would add nowt to the information already available from present, reliable online sources.

Is a single thread a suitable place to log the names of what is potentially, several million people?

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
17-10-2005, 9:26 AM
I’m sorry but this is not history. It’s not illuminating any aspect of history, it’s not drawing any conclusions, it’s not contributing to research techniques.

Presumably you’re aware of how many people died in the World Wars but the numbers are such that it wouldn’t be surprising if every single member of these forums could list several names. To what end? It would achieve nothing except clutter up the forums.

I’m guessing you have some axe to grind. I haven’t yet worked out what the particular axe might be but there are other places outside the British Genealogy forums where this sort of thing might be more appropriate.

peter nicholl
17-10-2005, 11:50 AM
While I can see the argument about the amount of space used in a long list of names, to say that people who were killed in WWII are not part of someone's Family History seems a bit parsimonious. It is sometimes quite difficult to know who is who from the CWGC site. And, I've yet to find any of mine on the Roll of Honour site. However, to expand upon the theme, how much of anyone's FH should be put on any Forum? There is a forum for the Normans and if we look at places, then there is the potential for an enormous amount of information swamping the Forum. If the Forum is there for discussion and help with research, then such a list may be indeed inappropriate. However, if Zelley's line of thinking is along the the lines of "this is a FH site and bearing in mind the time of year a "Book of Rememberance" for people who have a bit more information about "their" Dead would be a good idea", then it seems more of an act of kindness than "an axe to grind".

Peter
ps An ancestor is a life, not just for Family History (with apologies to the CDL)

Peter Goodey
17-10-2005, 12:40 PM
With respect, Peter; he or she is not asking any specific question relating to research nor even an implied question. It was simply a bald statement that Edward Godbold was "lost" in WW2. Since the CWGC site indicates a burial place, one assumes that the body was recovered and not "lost" in that sense.

I could provide a list of world war casualties from my tree; you could list yours. But neither of us would actually be any wiser - what would we have learned; what research tips would we have offered?

To be frank, I can't see how anyone could claim that it was on-topic. British Genealogy provides an off-topic forum. Let it be used for that purpose if the poster can't find a more appropriate site.