PDA

View Full Version : Bennett family Ightham

Carrie Broadbent
14-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I am searching for my g grandparents William, or John William and Charlotte
Bennett (nee Cheeseman) and their children. I believe William as a Methodist Minister in the Ightham or Wrotham area.
William's father was called William Jones and his mother Charlotte Bennett. I don't know when the family changed their name from Jone to the wifes name of Bennett, but it could have been around the 1841 census time

My g grandparents had 14 children. My grandfather was the second youngest child, his name was Eri Bennett born about 1851. Some of the other children's names were Adelaide, Amos, Alice, Rosetta, Edwin, Eli, Evi, Henritta, Julianna, I don't know their birth order or the names of all the children.

Would it be possible for a lookup in the 1841 or 1851 census for my extended family. I will be grateful of any help.

Carrie

jackg2
15-10-2005, 2:50 PM
Hi Carrie
I have not got the 1851 census yet, but i got these from the 1861 census.
William Jones head b 1812 Bessel Gover
Adelaide daur b 1834 Wrotham
George son b 1841 Ightham
Alfred son b 1844 "
Evi son b 1846 "
Edwin son b 1847 "
Rossella daur b 1849 "
Alice " b 1851 "
Eri son b 1853 "
Charlotte daur b 1859 "
Eli son b 1854 "

All these have got the name Jones, The 1851 census will be out very soon , so you should be able to top up then,
Good Luck Jack

Wirral
15-10-2005, 7:53 PM
More details of the 1861 census. RG9/486 folio 137 page 23, Boro Green St, Ightham, Kent [Malling Registration district, Wrotham Sub-Registration district)
[All surname Jones]
William head widr 49 agricultural labourer, Kent Bessels Green
Adelaide dau U 27 house servant, Kent Wrotham
George son U 20 labourer, Kent Ightham
Alfred son U 17 labourer Ightham
Evi son U 15 labourer Ightham
Edwin son U 14 labourer Ightham
Rosetta dau 12 scholar Ightham
Alice dau 10 scholar Ightham
Eri son 8 scholar Ightham
Eli son 7 scholar Ightham
Charlotte grand dau 2 Ightham

Wirral
15-10-2005, 8:05 PM
(Contd)
There is also a Bennett family in Ightham. RG9/486 folio 149 page 13, Ightham Common, Ightham, Kent
William Bennett head M 74 small farmer Kent Ightham
Mary Bennett wife M 81 Surrey Cobham
James Bennett son M 41 ag lab Kent Ightham
Frances Bennett dau-in-law M 33 ag lab Kent Sevenoaks

Rather than the family changing their surname from the father's to the mother's, perhaps they had each been married before & had had children by their previous marriage. freeBMD does not list the birth of an Eri Jones, but it does list the birth of Eri Bennett, June quarter 1852, Malling registration district volume 2a page 307. You would have to get a copy of Eri's birth certificate to find out who his father was. You can get them through www.gro.gov.uk

Wirral
15-10-2005, 8:21 PM
There are also 2 deaths on freeBMD
June 1856 2a 214, Charlotte Bennett
March 1856 2a 225 Charlotte Bennett

I suspect that one of these is your Charlotte who has died in childbirth & the other is the baby.

Maybe the children do all belong to both William Jones & Charlotte Bennett, but the couple never married. This could explain why William is looking after all the children after Charlotte's death & why the birth certificates are in her name. Only the certificates will tell.

Forgot to say, we also have family from Ightham. Came across the name Cheeseman when researching in the area.

Carrie Broadbent
17-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Thankyou Jack and Wirral for the census information on the Jones/Bennett family.

William Bennett was born 1812 in Borogreen, Kent, son of William Jones and Charlotte Bennett.

It would be could to learn if William had other sibblings.

William Bennett, married Charlotte Cheeseman 14 July 1833 in Eynsford, Kent.
Charlotte was the daughter of Walter Cheeseman and Sarah West. Charlotte was born 27 January 1814 Wesleyan, Sevenoaks, Kent.

It will be good to see what the 1851 census has on the family of William and Charlotte Jones/Bennett, especially the order of the childrens birthdates.

The rest of the children missing from the 1861 census are, Daniel Henry, Amos, Julianna Ann, Ozar, and Henrietta.

Thanking You
Carrie

Wirral
17-10-2005, 1:01 AM
Hi Carrie
I'm getting confused with all these Williams/Charlottes/Jones & Bennetts :confused: In the 1861 census, the William born 1812 at Borogreen has the surname Jones, not Bennett. All the children are also listed as Jones. He is a widower, so presumably his wife Charlotte (nee Cheeseman or Bennett?) has died (in 1856?). Or is it his mother Charlotte Bennett who dies in 1856? :confused:
It's too late at night, my brain hurts, maybe tomorrow I'll work it out! ;)

Carrie Broadbent
18-10-2005, 11:36 AM
It appears that when the Jones children married some of then used the Bennett name.
Julianna Ann Bennett married Robert Crowson, Parish Church Ightham.
Edwin Bennett married Fanny Ashby.
Eri Bennett married Jane Elizabeth Ashby

Carrie Broadbent
18-10-2005, 12:34 PM
It appears that when some of the Jones children married they went by the Bennett name.

I have the 1858 marriage record of Julianna stating her father was William Bennett and Alice's marriage and death certificates with William Bennett as her father.

Julianna Ann Bennett married Robert Crowson, Parish Church Ightham, Kent
Edwin Bennett married Fanny Ashby, Malling, Kent
Eri Bennett married Jane Elizabeth Ashby, St Mary's Church, New Plymouth, NZ.
Eli Bennett married Emily Marie Worthington, Parish Church Ightham, Kent
Alice Bennett married Amos Henry Clarke, St Mary's Malling, Kent
Rosetta Bennett married George Crowson Ightham, Kent
Henrietta Bennett married ? James Bassett Malling, Kent

Thankyou for your time and help in sorting my forebears out so far.

Carrie

Wirral
25-11-2005, 4:31 PM
1851 census
HO107/1612 page 17 folio 436 Boro Green, Ightham, Kent
William Jones head M 37 ag lab Kent Wrotham
Charlotte Jones wife M 34 Kent Wrotham
Dan Jones son 14 employed paper mill Kent Wrotham
Julia A. Jones dau 12 scholar Kent Wrotham
Amos Jones son 11 scholar Kent Wrotham
Ozar (?) Jones son 9 scholar Kent Ightham
Henrietta Jones dau 8 scholar Kent Ightham
Alfred Jones son 6 scholar Kent Ightham
Evi Jones son 5 scholar Kent Ightham
Edwin Jones son 3 Kent Ightham
Rosetta Jones dau 1 Kent Ightham
Alice Jones dau 4 mo Kent Ightham

I suspect Ozar may be a mis-reading of the form by the enumerator of "Geor" for George.

Wirral
25-11-2005, 5:16 PM
I still can't work out why there is a name change of Jones/Bennett, but all the children from George/George Ozar(Ezar) b 1841 to Eri b.1852 seem to be registered under the name Bennett (see freeBMD). Perhaps the birth certificate for your grandfather may clear up the mystery.

Carrie Broadbent
27-11-2005, 5:44 AM
Thanks Wirral for the 1851 census.

I have the birth certificate for Alice Bennett who was 4 months at the time of the 1851 census. It has her father as William Bennett, and mother, Charlotte Bennett, formerly Cheeseman. Registered in Malling, County of Kent.

The name Ozar was used in the next 2 generations as second names, but the spelling was a bit different. There was George Ozerial Bennett, George Hosiah Bennett and Norman Ozire Bennett.

Carrie

tomparry
24-01-2012, 4:37 PM
I'm a bit late finding this Forum. I found William & Charlotte Bennett in the 1841 Census. Also found a marriage of William Bennett & Charlotte Cheeseman 14 July 1833 in Eynsford, Kent.
He may have changed the Family name to Jones to conceal his family for some reason. Found a few of the childrens marriages also. The children I did find were all registered as BENNETT.
My connection to this family is through my wife Rita (nee Delderfield). Her Maternal family is Parsons. A Thomas Parsons (1858) married Eliza WORTHINGTON. Eliza's sister, Emily Maria WORTHINGTON ( 1851) married Eli BENNETT.
Hope this may help you a bit better.
Best Regards,
Tom Parry

Carrie Broadbent
16-02-2012, 2:15 AM
Hello Tom,
I have just read your note on my Bennett family and the Worthington sisters.
I was just wondering if you have any information on the children born to Emily Maria Worthington and her husband Eli Bennett. They shifted from the Ightham area in Kent, to Newington, Surrey in the early 1880s, then to Mile End Old Town, London. At the time of the 1871 census Eli, aged 17 years, was living with his eldest sister Adelaide Buckwell (nee Bennett).
I am also wondering if you have seen the actual marriage and birth register, with William and Charlotte's marriage and the birth dates of their children, and if so, were the children baptized?
I look forward to hearing from you again, and thank you for the information.
Regards
Carrie

tomparry
17-02-2012, 1:01 PM
Hello Tom,
I have just read your note on my Bennett family and the Worthington sisters.
I was just wondering if you have any information on the children born to Emily Maria Worthington and her husband Eli Bennett. They shifted from the Ightham area in Kent, to Newington, Surrey in the early 1880s, then to Mile End Old Town, London. At the time of the 1871 census Eli, aged 17 years, was living with his eldest sister Adelaide Buckwell (nee Bennett).
I am also wondering if you have seen the actual marriage and birth register, with William and Charlotte's marriage and the birth dates of their children, and if so, were the children baptized?
I look forward to hearing from you again, and thank you for the information.
Regards
Carrie

Hi Carrie,
I have some information on the Bennett family, not actual certificates, but data I picked up on line. I have a copy of the Register page for the Baptism of Bertie Alfred Bennett, 1899 in Mile End. I can e-mail you what information I have, my e-mail is
tomparry AT talktalk DOT net
Hope I can be of help.
Regards,
Tom Parry