PDA

View Full Version : What's the name N. Leith 1841 Census

Rove
14-10-2005, 7:27 AM
This image been copied from the 1841 Census of North Leith Sct.

Shows John Poustie as head age 68 Occup 'blacksmith' born Sct.

Engber ditto 'female' age 52 born Sct.

What I would like to know is what 'Engber' (I read it as that) stand for ?
Is it a Scottish name or what ?

--------------
sorry, could not display image

Rove
15-10-2005, 4:24 AM
Here's the image

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/greenrover/Engber_small.jpg

Mary Young
15-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi, Rove
Glad you got the image posted OK. Are you sure the name is "Poustie"? At first glance, I read it as "Christie".
I agree, the female forename might be Engbar, although the "n" looks odd. But I can't think of anything else!
Any chance you might upload a larger image with more names - that would help with the writing.

Rove
15-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello Mary

Here's a larger image of part of the page. The writing not very clear as one would expect. I am 100% sure that John Pustie (should be Poustie) is my ancestor and that is a 'P'. On another census page, his son is listed and the writing a bit clearer but I have not photocopied that. The word Poustie is clearer.

Three lines below John is another John "P"****** who's occup is a 'Porter' now this P is written in a different way but further up the page there is Robert Neven who is also a Porter and that P is exactly as its written for John Pustie.

Mary, I can tell you that Poustie (a Fife family) has about 12 variants and they all belong in my family tree. (I have a worldwide study from 1540 to 1995) To top it off my dear grandmother Carrie Poustie had her name in the Parish Register as Paustie and when she died in April 1943 she was listed as Postill. I was very upset with that.

As for ENGBER, thats how I read it, just note this :

If you enter the word "names" in Google you get 574 million items, when you just add 'ENGBER' you get 773 items. No first names at all. Just about all the 773 items relate to a Mr Dan Engber a high profile writer in USA. Some relate to Andre Engber another high profile person.

Another, you would agree that Smith ~ White and Robinson would be the most common surnames in the English speaking world. If you go to LDS Family Search and add Engber to each of those three surnames the result is NIL.

GenesReUnited have 43.7 million names, There is not one single Engber as a first name.

Going back to the census page there is listed Eliza and Elizabeth and the E is same as that for Engber.

Quite interesting.
----------------

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b365/greenrover/Leith_1841_Census.jpg

----------------
Many thanks.

Mary Young
15-10-2005, 9:32 PM
I am 100% sure that John Pustie (should be Poustie) is my ancestor and that is a 'P'.
As for ENGBER, thats how I read it.Yes, the more I look, the more I see PUSTIE, what an interesting name! ENGBER even more interesting ... I suppose she vanishes before 1855?

Rove
06-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Mary

You have no idea how hard I've tried to discover something about this first name. I've placed it in every top rating Genealogy Site and many Forums around the globe. I've written to persons with the surnane Engbertson hoping they could throw some light on the subject. Nothing.

When you look at it, you would not think it is a strange name. But it is.
I am not giving up.

I looked in Freecen and it show a different picture.

My John Pustie (Poustie) is shown as John CRISTIE. That is an error.
Lots of Christie / Cristie in Scotland and there is one born c1773 in Wymess.
However, I am convinced that that is a "P" and not a "C"

Also, below John's name it is shown as EOGBER, not ENGBER. Now that is even more strange. I'll buy Engber but wont buy Oegber.

I'm going to visit our F.H. Library and go through the film of this 1841 Leith Census so do more study.

Still cannot find what happened to John Poustie b1773 a blacksmith after 1841 and his wife Rosina Telford / Telfair / Telfer Poustie after her 10th child was born in Leith 1821. Rosina / Rosanne was born 1777 in Cockpen Midloth.

That lady Engber / Eogber listed with John could be a relative and not his wife. Who knows ?

I also went through four name Dictionaries. Nil result.

(corrected Oegber to Eogber)

Mary Young
06-11-2005, 10:41 AM
That lady Engber / Oegber listed with John ... Hi, Rove
Yes, it is a mystery ... but have you transposed the first two letters? It looks like EOgber, not OEgber? :confused: