PDA

View Full Version : Goodson -Lambeth Workhouse

julie keen
13-10-2005, 4:46 PM
I recently found out that my ggggrandfather died in Lambeth Workhouse in 1838, and died a pauper, can anyone tell me if his wife and children were likely to be in the workhouse too, as yet I have had no success in finding his wife on the 1841 census

Thank you

Peter Goodey
13-10-2005, 5:51 PM
"can anyone tell me if his wife and children were likely to be in the workhouse too?"
If the family really was impoverished then probably yes.

But on the other hand he might have entered the workhouse purely because he was dying and his family couldn't look after him.

No point speculating. According to my usual source ("Poor Law Union Records" published by the FFHS) admission and discharge registers for that period have survived although I'm having trouble confirming this from any alternative source. They'll be at the London Metropolitan Archives if they're anywhere. Be best to check with them first.

AnnB
13-10-2005, 6:46 PM
Hello Julie

The London Metropolitan Archives have got a lot of records for the workhouse at Lambeth. If you take a look at http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/family-research/registerSearchResults.asp?boroughID=83&startdate=&phrase=workhouse&enddate= you will find a long list of what they have.

I have used these records in the past whilst searching for my some of my husband's lot (who moved between the workhouses at Camberwell and Lambeth on a regular basis) and they are fascinating and very useful.

I would suggest you take a look at workhouses.org.uk first. Put Lambeth into the search facility and you will come up with all the background information you could want :)

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Ann

julie keen
13-10-2005, 8:35 PM
Thank you for the information, will see what I can find out

cheers

Peter Goodey
13-10-2005, 8:40 PM
"The London Metropolitan Archives have got a lot of records for the workhouse at Lambeth. If you take a look at http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corp...khouse&enddate= (http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/family-research/registerSearchResults.asp?boroughID=83&startdate=&phrase=workhouse&enddate=) you will find a long list of what they have."

Well. Yes. I've already pointed her towards the LMA. The trouble is I can't see anything relevant in the catalogue for 1838.

This is the problem. Either I'm misreading the reference book that I have or it's wrong or the LMA catalogue isn't complete or I'm not searching the catalogue properly.

For the old Lambeth Workhouse in Princes Road (I assume this is what Julie is talking about). The reference book shows baptism regs 1903-1860; Adm & discharge regs 1773-1919; creed reg 1850-1919. But I'm blowed if I can see those in the catalogue.

Can you shed any light on it?

FamHistAddict
13-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Do you have the wife/childrens names?

Sara

julie keen
13-10-2005, 11:31 PM
sara,

The names are as follows:-
wife
Mary Goodson born abt 1800 Eton Bucks
Children: