PDA

View Full Version : Burning Effigies

genclubgenie
21-10-2017, 6:32 AM
Were there any other traditions of BURNING EFFIGIES in the UK during this period? In particular I am looking for an explanation of two 19th century diary entries (the diarist was a prominent member of the local BAPTISTchurch, in case that has any bearing). These say:

"Feb 19th (1847) Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT killed"

"Wednesday April 21st (1847) Tonight the lads have been burning effigies of Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT."

Many thanks for any ideas.

Peter Goodey
21-10-2017, 7:33 AM
...in case that has any bearing

The locality may have a bearing.

genclubgenie
21-10-2017, 7:55 AM
Hi Peter - thanks for responding: it was Studley, Warwickshire - but on the Worcestershire border & the Baptist Chapel at that time had Worcs connections.

Joy

The locality may have a bearing.

Lesley Robertson
21-10-2017, 8:41 AM
It sounds like the sort of thing that would attract the attention of local papers...

genclubgenie
21-10-2017, 8:49 AM
Thanks Lesley - yes, you'd think so wouldn't you, but there aren't many available for the year and we've drawn a blank on that avenue.

genclubgenie
21-10-2017, 8:56 AM
Lesley you are an absolute star! On the back of your suggestion I had a re-think on how I had searched the newspapers, then searched again without the names - just with the key words 'burning effigies' and Eureka! I found a report and some clues to further reaseach - thank you VERY much! Joy

davyr
21-10-2017, 9:22 AM
Lewes in Sussex has probably the longest and best-known tradition of effigy burning in the UK (which still continues every year), but maybe this wasn't the sort of thing you were after?

"From 1711, Effigies of the Pope, Devil, and Pretender were made and carried in processions in the evening in order to be burnt at night. It was an early ritual that lasted only a few years but elements of it still exist in today’s Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations."

https://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/the-lewes-bonfire-celebrations/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29915270

helachau
21-10-2017, 3:10 PM
Had you found?
William Garlick, buried 18 Feb, abode Kenilworth, age 61, burial place Kenilworth Parish Church
Anne Bennett, widow, age 69, residence Feckenham, buried 27 Jan 1847, place Nesley, Warwick

Possible candidates for Mr Garlick and Mrs Bennett?

Lesley Robertson
21-10-2017, 3:35 PM
The Lewes one is a 5th November thing - they also have been known to include effigies of modern annoying people.
Mind you, it's about 20 years since I was last there....

helachau
21-10-2017, 4:02 PM
The 1841 Census has a William Garlick, Castle End, Kenilworth, age 50, born County - occupation "comb m"? (comb maker?). The age 50 (rounded down - YoB 1787-1791) could fit the William age 61 in '47.

I was wondering whether the burning could be some form of tribute/mark of respect for the pair rather than an expression of anger?

genclubgenie
23-10-2017, 7:39 AM
Lewes in Sussex has probably the longest and best-known tradition of effigy burning in the UK (which still continues every year), but maybe this wasn't the sort of thing you were after?

"From 1711, Effigies of the Pope, Devil, and Pretender were made and carried in processions in the evening in order to be burnt at night. It was an early ritual that lasted only a few years but elements of it still exist in today’s Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations."

https://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations.com/the-lewes-bonfire-celebrations/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-29915270

That's true - I was quite amazed to find that a lot of these incidents were being reported around the mid century all over the country (especially in Wales) and it seems that it was the accepted expression of moral outrage and condemnation for a whole host of offences in smaller communities ...... the Face Book rant of its time!

genclubgenie
23-10-2017, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the input Helachau and yes, not such an unusual name as you might think. A whole host of them popped up only yesterday on an Ancestry tree I watch (an incredible community project to create a village family tree - for Stoneleigh in Warwickshire) but I'm not actively researching the families, just doing a local history project transcribing and explaining local events from a contemporary diary (Hill family, well known Baptists of Studley).

Incidentally though, the newspaper report I eventually found which explained this event revealed that my Garlick & Bennett effigies were burned because of "transactions of a rather delicate nature, in which two parties of the place were concerned"! There is no clue given in the newspaper report of their names, so the diary project has already proved its worth to potential family researchers .....

Many thanks to everyone!