PDA

View Full Version : COPELAND message just found from Graham & Brett!

Maud Jarvis
11-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi
I have just by accident, come across a posting I made about a year ago! I had been unable at the time to find where on the board I had left a message (I now keep a notebook for this purpose, so that I can hopefully, find my way back!) I`m really ahamed and sorry that I had not responded to the replies left by Brett & Graham re my queries on Copeland, how they miust have thought about me, I dread to think, I`m so sorry for such a long delay and hope you will forgive me?

The question you had asked Brett about my query on Mary Hannah Copeland (she married my gt grandfather George Nelson Grant) she was born in 1850 and has become very elusive. I don`t think I1m ever ging to find any further trace of her after 1881.

The question you had asked Brett about my query on Mary Hannah Copeland (she married my gt grandfather George Nelson Grant) she was born in 1850 and as become very elusive, I don`t think I1m ever ging to find any further trace of her after 1881.

It is quite likely that George Nelson found a new partner, she was recorded as his wife in the 1891/1901 census for London, and also on his death in 1919, as his "wife" Annie. Her name could not have been mistaken for Mary Hannah, as they were both different people, "my" Mary Hannah haing been born in Derby & Annie in Bermondsey London, both different ages also.

So, I now think it possible that Mary Hannah may also have been with a different "husband" and of course using a new surname, I will never find her. No marriage had taken place with either, so they must have just gone their own seperate ways and "lived in sin" this could have been the reason for the children all being in different places, though in 1881 my grandmother was still with them, however at some time after then, she must have been living with her sister & probably grandmother, she was then sent to Canada as a supposed orphan in 1889, although she later confessed to the Home, that her father was then living in Birmingham and that she was NOT an orphan, she made no mention of her mother then or later, I had supposed that the mother may have died, but have never found any death for her in the indexes either in Scotland or England.

I wondered if she had gone to Leicester where her brother William Francis was living, but could not find her there either, George Nelson and his "wife" Annie were living in Leicester near the brother when George Nelson died, so they must obviously have known about her. SAadly Mary Hannah was never mentioned in my family and its possible that her children may have been estranged from her. I don`t suppose I`ll ever know the answer to these questions now.

Graham, yes the William Copeland you found must have been "mine" he was described as a painter in the 1851 census, later he was described as a labourer.

Thank you for your earlier rersponses, I hope I will not get lost in future when I leave a posting!