PDA

View Full Version : Missing Groom on freebmd

Chasing Caseys
10-10-2005, 7:51 PM
I may have found a marriage on freebmd but there is only the name i am looking for and no options as to who she married.
Jane Donaldson Sept qtr 1906 Whitehaven 10b 1137. Is it a case of ordering the certificate to find out if it is her ? Why does this happen, would the grooms name be unreadable ?

Trish
10-10-2005, 8:11 PM
I may have found a marriage on freebmd but there is only the name i am looking for and no options as to who she married.
Jane Donaldson Sept qtr 1906 Whitehaven 10b 1137. Is it a case of ordering the certificate to find out if it is her ? Why does this happen, would the grooms name be unreadable ?Tracey, I encountered something similar -- I found the bride or groom [I forget which] I was looking for but they were by themselves. After some poking around, I found their mate on the next page so I guess one name was at the bottom of one page and the other at the top of the next so they ended up being listed separately...

Trish

Trish
10-10-2005, 8:17 PM
Tracey, take a look at the next page -- 1138. There's a lone groom there by the name of Matthew BARNES. Any good?

Trish

Chasing Caseys
10-10-2005, 8:21 PM
Hi Trish

I saw him too but i was hoping his name would be Glaister or something sounding like it :confused:

Geoffers
10-10-2005, 8:41 PM
Tracey, I encountered something similar -- I found the bride or groom [I forget which] I was looking for but they were by themselves. After some poking around, I found their mate on the next page so I guess one name was at the bottom of one page and the other at the top of the next so they ended up being listed separately...
They should appear on the same page. I believe there are three marriages to a page, so six names. If the bride and groom appear on different pages it is likely to be a case of transcription error.

Geoffers

Geoffers
10-10-2005, 8:44 PM
Jane Donaldson Sept qtr 1906 Whitehaven 10b 1137. Is it a case of ordering the certificate to find out if it is her ? Why does this happen, would the grooms name be unreadable ?
It is probably because no one has transcribed and submitted the corresponding entry for the groom. If you have an idea for the name of the groom, you could check the GRO index, either at the FRC, on fiches at a record centre, or online at 1837 online.

If you have no idea as to the groom's name then, yes, you would need to order the certificate.

Geoffers

Trish
11-10-2005, 3:41 AM
It is probably because no one has transcribed and submitted the corresponding entry for the groom. If you have an idea for the name of the groom, you could check the GRO index, either at the FRC, on fiches at a record centre, or online at1837 online.

If you have no idea as to the groom's name then, yes, you would need to order the certificate.

GeoffersGeoffers, Thanks for clarifying but I'm just wondering -- why would the groom's name be transcribed separately from the bride's? Pardon me in advance if this is a stupid question but I don't have any idea how the orginal entries appear...

I've wondered before why some of the pages only contain one entry -- or sometimes an uneven number of brides and grooms.

:confused: Trish

Geoffers
11-10-2005, 8:22 AM
why would the groom's name be transcribed separately from the bride's? Pardon me in advance if this is a stupid question but I don't have any idea how the orginal entries appear
The GRO index is recorded alphabetically by surname. Until Sep 1916, an entry in the marriage index consisted of the surname, forename, district, volume and page. Note that there was no reference to the spouse.

So, if a CHOLMONDLEY married a FARQHUAR, there would be absolutely nothing to link the two as they are not alphabetically consecutive. Someone not in possession of a crystal ball, indexing all the entries under surnames beginning with C, would have no way of knowing who the spouse was.

From Sep 1916 onwards, more help is given, an entry in the marriage index then consisted of surname, forename, surname of spouse, district, vol, page.

Geoffers

Jo Simpsons
11-10-2005, 10:00 AM
If you are interested to see, you are able to see some images on FreeBMD. From the home page click view images and search. You will see then exactly what the transcribers works with.

Also if you look on the information page on FreeBMD, scroll down to Statistics then coverage charts, it shows how complete the data base is for the years.
Jo :)