PDA

View Full Version : Where are they ?

royjan
10-10-2005, 2:12 PM
I wonder if anybody can help me? I have been researching the name Bartram for some time now and cannot find a certain persons marriage (according to a childs birth cert. it existed) or a death. I have tried name variations but perhaps not the correct ones? Any help appreciated.
Jan

DebbieAnn
10-10-2005, 2:21 PM
We need a bit more information - what are the full names of the couple whose marriage you can't find? The child's name? Child's date and place of birth? Any other clues?

Debbie

royjan
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to find the marriage of James Bartram and Emily Back.On the 1891 and 1901 census they give their birthplaces of Hackney and Shoreditch, James giving different ages as well (born 1853-1857) and Emily in 1862. Their eldest child (that I know of) Emily was born in Holloway,Islington in 1887. There are a few James B's around but none marrying an Emily. I have her death certificate in 1929 in Battersea and have looked at the electrol rolls and James is still alive in 1934, electrol roll for 1935 was missing but the rest of the family were not at the address from 1935 onwards. Perhaps he had died during this time but cannot find his death in the Battersea area either. I'm sure the name must have been spelt wrong. Any help appreciated.

Jan

DebbieAnn
11-10-2005, 1:16 AM
Interestingly, there is a marriage between Emily Back and James Thompson in Shoreditch Sep qtr 1887 (vol 1c pg 284a). Could there have been a name change? Or maybe it's an error in the index...

Found Emily Back b: Shoreditch Jun Qtr 1862 (vol 1c pg 123) and James William Bartram b: Shoreditch Jun qtr 1857 (vol 1c pg 194).

Debbie

Peter Goodey
11-10-2005, 9:19 AM
"there is a marriage between Emily Back and James Thompson in Shoreditch "

If you're looking at FreeBMD, it looks as if that quarter hasn't been fully transcribed (Back and Thompson are the only names shown).

Emily Back wasn't too common a name. I think the marriage certificate might be relevant - or at least interesting.

Ann AW
12-10-2005, 5:43 PM
Hi Jan,
I was interested to see that you are researching BARTRAM, my husbands great grandmother was Maria Eliza Bartram b Jul 15 1827 bapt. 12 AUG 1827 Saint Mary, Newington. Maria Elizas parents were James William Bartram and Maria, she married James Richard Wilson Apr 28, 1857 Saint Botolph Without, Aldersgate.
Are there any connections?
Regards,
Ann

royjan
18-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi DebbieAnn,

Thanks for this info which I have had in my files for ages. One thing I'm not too sure of is that on my James/Emily eldest daughter's birth certificate March 1887) it states mother Emily Bartram formerly Back which obviously doesn't tie in with the date of the marriage. Also I have looked on 1837 online and the refs are the same for Emily Back and James Thompson. Any further suggestions ?

Interestingly, there is a marriage between Emily Back and James Thompson in Shoreditch Sep qtr 1887 (vol 1c pg 284a). Could there have been a name change? Or maybe it's an error in the index...

Found Emily Back b: Shoreditch Jun Qtr 1862 (vol 1c pg 123) and James William Bartram b: Shoreditch Jun qtr 1857 (vol 1c pg 194).

Debbie

royjan
18-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Peter, Many thanks for your suggestion. You'll see via my reply to DebbieAnn that I've been pondering the Back/Thompson marriage for ages but have a daughter's birth certificate of March 1887 showing parents Bartram/Bartram (formerly Back) before this other marriage took place. The Back/Thompson refs. to tie up on 1837 online or could they be wrong as well ? Any help appreciated. Janet

"there is a marriage between Emily Back and James Thompson in Shoreditch "

If you're looking at FreeBMD, it looks as if that quarter hasn't been fully transcribed (Back and Thompson are the only names shown).

Emily Back wasn't too common a name. I think the marriage certificate might be relevant - or at least interesting.

DebbieAnn
19-10-2005, 4:23 AM
There was a Frederick Charles Bartram b: Dec qtr 1885, Islington (vol 1b pg 312) who died Jun qtr 1886, Islington (vol 1b pg 190). Perhaps related, as daughter Emily was born in Islington?

Debbie

Peter Goodey
19-10-2005, 9:14 AM
"Hi Peter, Many thanks for your suggestion. You'll see via my reply to DebbieAnn that I've been pondering the Back/Thompson marriage for ages but have a daughter's birth certificate of March 1887 showing parents Bartram/Bartram (formerly Back) before this other marriage took place. The Back/Thompson refs. to tie up on 1837 online or could they be wrong as well ? Any help appreciated. Janet"

I'll repeat what I said before - on FreeBMD, the quarter has not been fully transcribed. You cannot say with certainty without getting the certificate that Emily Black married James Thompson.