PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Records, Dunton

busyglen
10-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Can I ask for some advice please?

I have just had a major breakthrough with a very stubborn brickwall, and am now setting off again in fighting spirit. :D I know that this next stage is going to be difficult, if not impossible, but I am game to try, with a little help from my friends!

I now know that gt.gt. grandfather John JARVIS was born in Dunton Bucks. and I have the task of trying to find a baptismal record for him, although I very much doubt that this will be possible.

He was born in 1823 and married in Buckingham, Bucks on 22.8.1842 to Emma Sophia ROBBINS both aged 19 at that time. On the marriage certificate his father was shown as John GREEN, which puts a spanner in the works! Was he illegitimate? Did he take his mothers name? Was his mother married twice?

I looked on Genuki for Dunton, and the Church of St. Martins doesn't show baptisms (I believe) after 1812. So...if he WAS baptised, where would he have gone? I believe it to be about 8 miles to Aylesbury from there, so doubt that he would have gone there. Also, if he WAS illegitimate, would he have been baptised anyway? I guess, if he had been baptised, his record would now be in Aylesbury wouldn't it? But....without a parish I'm a bit stuck. I'd be grateful for any ideas on this one.

Glenys

Mythology
10-10-2005, 2:14 PM
"if he WAS baptised, where would he have gone?"

Most likely Dunton.

The list that you are looking at is merely a list of the registers that have been deposited with the record office - it doesn't mean they stopped baptising people there in 1812.
Look just below it, in the "Copies or indexes" and you will see that there is reference there to them up to 1837 (Bucks Genealogical Society) and up to 1901 (Bucks FHS).

It is possible that the list of what's at the record office is out of date, so worth an e-mail to check - unfortunately they don't seem to have an online catalogue.

Mythology
10-10-2005, 2:32 PM
Quick addition.

Don't have time ro read it properly, I'm going out, but have a prod around the Bucks FHS site. Obviously there's the complication that he might be baptised as Jarvis or might be baptised as Green, but at a quick glance it looks as though they'll do a search for you in their database for about a quid a shot.

busyglen
10-10-2005, 2:37 PM
Quick addition.

Don't have time ro read it properly, I'm going out, but have a prod around the Bucks FHS site. Obviously there's the complication that he might be baptised as Jarvis or might be baptised as Green, but at a quick glance it looks as though they'll do a search for you in their database for about a quid a shot.

Thanks once again Myth! Much appreciated, will see what I can find out. |bowdown|

Glenys

Paul Watts
10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Glen

You may find something useful at the following site, worldconnect

I know that the owner of the tree happily receives corrections and additions/

Happy hunting

Paul

busyglen
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Glen

You may find something useful at the following site, worldconnect

I know that the owner of the tree happily receives corrections and additions/

Happy hunting

Paul

Thanks for that ULR Paul, I've had a quick look and can't find anything specific there but it's worth hanging on to. Thanks for your time.

Glenys

busyglen
11-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Myth, I found what I was looking for as you so rightly said. They have the whole of St. Martin's registrations way past what I am looking for. I have sent off for a floppy at the princely sum of £1.50! Many thanks for spotting that. :) Who knows, I may find some other family entries of interest as well.

Glenys