PDA

View Full Version : Village booklet

willitoft
09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Where can I find a booklet written by someone called Wilson about the history of Corpusty and Saxthorpe villages in Norfolk, East Anglia

willitoft
09-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Where can I find a booklet written by someone called Wilson about the history of Corpusty and Saxthorpe villages in Norfolk, East Anglia. It contains quite a lot of photographs of the villagers during the 1900s. Some of whom are my ancestors.

Geoffers
10-10-2005, 8:44 AM
Use the online library service http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/cgi-bin/viewpoint-server-web.sh
to check the title and reference to the book - I think the books is actually called 'The heritage of Saxthorpe and Corpusty', by Janet Wilson

Contact the library service and see if it is possible for them to loan a copy of the book to your own local library - or see if they can photocopy the book.

You'll see on the above URL that there is a link to photographs, which you can view, enlarge and save to your hard drive. There might be something there of intrerest to you (there's a great photo of the old workhouse at Corpusty).

Alternatively, use a search engine to look for second-hand book dealers, there are loads of them. Someone may have a copy, or many offer a service where you can express an interest in a book and they'll hunt down a copy for you. You're nearest second-hand bookshop may be able to do something similar.

Geoffers

willitoft
13-10-2005, 11:17 PM
many thanks for your advice but I was wondering if there were any still unsold from the original run.

Geoffers
13-10-2005, 11:28 PM
many thanks for your advice but I was wondering if there were any still unsold from the original run.
You might try 'phoning one of the local bookshops, there are a few listed here:
www.
inprint.co.uk/thebookguide/shops/east_anglia/norfolk.shtml
and there's Ottakar's in Castle Street.

Geoffers

willitoft
18-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Many thanks for the list of book shops I will try them. Thanks for your help

robbieuk
23-10-2005, 1:38 PM
Hello,

The booklet was researched and written by my cousin Janet Wilson. She died in 2005 aged 89 and I am not sure how many of the booklets were left when she died. Originally, they went on sale in the village shop and an art gallery in Holt (run by one of her nephews or cousins) but that was over ten years ago.

I have just moved house and am unpacking all my books, when i come across the History of Corpusty & Saxthorpe I can look up names for you...

Rob Bates

willitoft
25-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Many thanks for your reply. I have seen a copy of the booklet and know my family are mentioned ( Margetson) and photographs are included of them but I was looking for a copy for my family history records. Many thanks again.

robbieuk
29-10-2005, 9:58 PM
Some of my ancestors from Corpusty were Margetsons.

My ancestor was Elizabeth Margetson who was born in Corpusty in 1796. She married James Grand in Corpusty in 1815. Her father was John Margetson buried in Corpusty in 1826 aged 68 years (born circa 1758), who married Susannah Bartram (born Corpusty 1768, daughter of Henry & Elizabeth Bartram).

Where did John come from?

John & Susan had six more children after Elizabeth:
2. Henry bp 1798
3. Mary bp 1800 died 1816
4. Ann bp 1803
5. Dorothy bp 1805
6. John bp 1809
7. Harriett bp 1811

There was also a William Margarson in Corpusty. Baptised in 1818 his father was William (born about 1784) who married Ann Starling.

William went on to marry an Elizabeth from Cawston and have a family of 8 including George (bp 1843).

Are we connected?

Rob

willitoft
31-10-2005, 1:16 AM
Hello robbieuk,
We are indeed connected. The link is quite a way back though and involves John MARGETSON who was our common ancestor.
John was my 4x Gt.Grandfather and was married twice. His first wife was Ann HARVEY married Dec.1782 in Saxthorpe. The only child I have so far is William who married Elizabeth APPLEGATE at Corpusty 1839. The only child by name you mentioned was George (bp 1843 with no registration) was my grandfather.
Sussanah was John's second wife. At first I thought this was my link but I could not connect them together.
I have one generation further back than John which still needs more work. His parents were George MARGETSON from Heydon and Mary PRIOR. She was his second wife and they married at Cawston 6 June 1759.
If you wish to exchange more information my e-mail address is [email protected].
Hope to here from you.

robbieuk
01-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi,

I have emailed you as requested and look forward to your reply.

Rob Bates

Touringaudio
10-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi, Janet was my great aunt. I was way to young to ever buy her book, but wondered if you still had a copy lying around. I know she extensively researched her own family tree and would like to maybe find out about it. I can remember my nan helping with the book!!!!

Sue Mackay
10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Sadly neither willitoft nor robbieuk have visited the forum for a few years, but they do have private messaging enabled, so provided they have not changed their e-mail you may be able to reach them this way. Click on the username and then choose Private Message.

Welcome to B-G. Have a good look round anyway while you are here :smile: