PDA

View Full Version : Ancient order of Foresters

lizziebeth
09-10-2005, 8:55 PM
Am guessing that the clue is in the title, but can anyone supply any background information on this ancient order?

Peter Goodey
09-10-2005, 11:30 PM
It's only a Friendly Society. Not more to be said really. There'll be plenty of references on the web. Google on "Ancient Order of Foresters" (with the quote marks).

If you're after the archives, have a look at the National Register of Archives.

Mythology
09-10-2005, 11:34 PM
And don't let them con you into signing up for anything!
"Friendly" = pushy sales team with plastic smiles trying to convince you that they're doing you a favour by letting you take out a policy with them.

Peter Goodey
10-10-2005, 7:46 AM
I suppose, for lizziebeth's benefit, it ought to be added that it's nothing whatsoever to do with forestry!

Peter Goodey
10-10-2005, 9:21 AM
"Friendly" = pushy sales team with plastic smiles

How true.

However, the very early history of friendly societies is slightly interesting. They were initially treated with great suspicion if not hostility by the upper classes. Anything hinting of self-help among the lower orders was seen to be barely one step away from Jacobinism.

Interesting that what are now just downmarket insurance societies once evoked the sound of the tumbrils!

Plus ca change!

Mythology
10-10-2005, 7:02 PM
Bring back the tumbrils, I say!

I think I would quite enjoy standing in the street jeering at a cartload of insurance salesmen heading for the chop. :)

lizziebeth
10-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information, also the wise and timely advice!! Having worked (many many years ago) for an insurance company, i am very wary of anyone telling me that i really want what they have!!!!

Clive Blackaby
11-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Bring back the tumbrils, I say!

I think I would quite enjoy standing in the street jeering at a cartload of insurance salesmen heading for the chop. :)
But if you were thinking of driving that cart on your fully comprehensive insurance policy, think again!! You'll probably find that your insurance company has just withdrawn your "any vehicle 3rd party" cover