PDA

View Full Version : Lincolnshire Parish Register Project

mikebannister
09-10-2005, 3:57 AM
Hi Folks I have a Nathaniel Boon who was transported to Australia for a crime of stealing committed in London in 1809. In the record of the trial his birthplace is given as LIN, which I presume is lincolnshire. Is their a Parish Register project as I need to start searching any Registers indexed by name to see if I can locate his birth or Christening. I think this is my only option. Any alternative suggestions very gratefully received
Thanks in Advance
Mike & Jocelyn Bannister

BeeE586
10-10-2005, 1:04 AM
May I suggest that you contact the Lincolnshire Family History Society who have published all sorts of indexes (indices ?) over the years and are a very friendly society.

Good hunting Eileen

Pam Downes
10-10-2005, 3:52 AM
Hi Mike,
I have some possible info but at the moment cannot access a particular web site which may yield further info. Will wait another 12 hours or so, then post further. I will also advise on LFHS publications.

Pam Downes

mikebannister
10-10-2005, 9:33 PM
Thank you Eileen and Pam for your advice and I await the next 12 hours in anticipation Pam. It is my birthday today, 60 years old and maybe a birthday present as well
Kind Regards
MikeB

Pam Downes
11-10-2005, 2:19 AM
Hi again Mike,
I managed to access the web site, but no luck.
For anyone else's future reference it's a database for Lincolnshire convicts transported to Australia, Bermuda and Gibraltar between 1788 and 1868.
http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?docId=27638

Boon is not a prolific name in Lincolnshire. There are 23 deaneries, and if my counting is correct out of the 19
deaneries I checked there is a total of 23 marriages between the years 1700 and 1837. These are from the marriage indexes compiled by the Lincs FHS. (Reckon on an average of about 9000 marriages per deanery to get an idea of 'not prolific' :) )
A Nathaniel Boon marries Mary Bolland in Deeping St James in 1801. (Aveland and Ness deanery marriage index. ) The only other Boon marriages between 1700 and 1837 are a Bridget in Uffington in 1750 and an Isaac in Deeping St James in 1825. There's 4 around Grantham in the early 1700s, 5 Spalding/Crowland 1821 - 1837, 6 in Stamford 1740 - 1828, and the remaining 5 marriages are before 1766 in 4 different places.
To see where all these places are in relation to each other
www.streetmap.co.uk
and search for Stanground (see next message for reason why) Click on either entry given, then 'minus' the map to get the surrounding area. Deeping St James is just on the map in the top left-hand box. Move the map one square to the left, and Stamford and Uffington are in the new top left-hand square. Grantham's about another 3 boxes north of Stamford, while Crowland is virtually due east of Deeping St James and Spalding is north east of Deeping.
Hopefully that should keep you occupied while I type part two........

Pam Downes
11-10-2005, 3:32 AM
Belated birthday greetings Mike as I expect that at my typing speed you are now 60 years and one day old.
The reason I said look for Stanground is that the IGI has an entry for a Nathaniel Boon born 1779. It is a submitted entry, but it does give an actual date, not an 'about', so seems promising.
*But* Stanground was in Huntingdonshire. (Huntingdonshire today does not exist as a county, only a district.) Cambridgeshire is not that far east. Peterborough is in Northamptonshire today, and even in ye olde days, Northants was only two spits down-wind west of Peterboro'. And don't forget Rutland to the west of Stamford.
I would do a search on the IGI for further Nathaniels in those counties, as well as Boons in general to see if they're more prolific in one county than another.
Then pick a parish, hop down to 394 Wodonga Place, and ask them to order in the film for viewing.
The good news is that Lincs FHS have begun to index baptisms and burials for 1754 - 1812. They're working their way through the deaneries, beginning with Aveland & Ness, the one for Deeping. A few parishes have already been published on fiche. See page 11 of the publications list. More parishes may well be added next month.

Hope this is all slightly clearer than mud.

Pam Downes

Geoff Everitt
11-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's a map of the Lincolnshire Deanery areas

http://www.lincolnshire-wolds.org/lincolnshiremaps/lincs_dean.html

Their names have thoughtfully been abbreviated to create an element of confusion. The positions of the neighbouring counties can be seen.

Pam Downes
11-10-2005, 7:54 PM
After the colours, try the numbers :) http://www.lincoln.anglican.org/indx_parishes.htm
If you click on a blue number on the map you get a list of the present day churches in that deanery. Bear in mind that quite a lot of churches have closed over the years.

Pam Downes

Geoff Everitt
12-10-2005, 12:00 AM
At my age I prefer colours.

mikebannister
12-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Thank you Pam and Geoff,
I am now 60 + 2 days as I spent last night recovering, early to bed from my escapades on the elevnth (Dinner for two at my favourite restaurant accompanied by a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon) All this excitement means I am a day behind and overwhelmed by the information you have provided me. If you will indulge me for a couple of days I will read and digest and post any conclusions or further questions
Very gratefully
Mike Bannister
Albury Australia

mikebannister
14-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Thank you for your input. No earthshattering discovery yet but I think I have learned something about our hobby as well as having some new paths to explore
Kindest Regards
Mike Bannister