PDA

View Full Version : Army Service

k0065126
08-10-2005, 5:30 PM
I believe I have found an ancestor in the 1851 census aged 20 who was a private in the army, (possibly the 15th Regiment of Foot - Yorkshire East Riding Regiment), but was living in Bath in 1861, and no longer in the army.

In 1851 he was in the District Barracks Sheerness, Kent.

Can anyone tell me if it was possible for a private to leave the army in the 1850s, or was service for life or until unfit for service?

Viv

Peter Goodey
08-10-2005, 7:37 PM
If you visit the National Archives you could search for his discharge papers. Shouldn't be too difficult a search because you know his regiment. They're indexed by name in the catalogue up to 1854 so it would be worth checking there first.

Geoffers
08-10-2005, 8:18 PM
Can anyone tell me if it was possible for a private to leave the army in the 1850s, or was service for life or until unfit for service?
He could retire to pension for long service of 21 years or more; or be discharged to a pension because of disability.

I suppose that service could be for life if he popped his clogs prior to one of the aforementioned circumstances.

If he falls into the category mentioned by Peter, you need to enter the 'Department or series code' WO97 when searching the catalogue http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp

Geoffers

k0065126
15-10-2005, 5:19 PM
Many thanks to all for your suggestions. It is possible that he was made redundant after the Crimean War as he married in November 1856.

I will be visiting TNA in a couple of days so will be able to follow up the leads which have been suggested to me.

Viv