PDA

View Full Version : Walter Smith's marriage entry

Susan Kitchen
27-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Hello.
I have found the marriage of Louisa Smith born about 1844 in the Kettering area. Marriage details are July, August September 1870 Kettering 3b 26 (14) I'm trying to see if this is the relative i'm seeking. If so she married Walter Smith. On her son's birth certificate is Father Walter Smith, Mother, Louisa Smith formerly Smith. However to make sure i have the right marriage i have to find Walter's entry but despite having the reference etc i can't seem to find Walter's entry.
I expect i'm doing something wrong but would be grateful if someone can throw some light on this.
Thanks
Susan.

Lesley Robertson
27-04-2017, 11:25 AM
I've tried Ancestry and FMP (free this weekend) and can't find a marriage from the information you've given.

I have found the marriage that you refer to on FreeBMD, but the groom would have been either David Julian or William Webb (for this period, FreeBMD just shows the names of the people on the page). It doesn't look as though she's the right bride...

There is a marriage between Walter Smith and either Louisa Ward or Jane Hulley in Sheffield, 1869.

PS I corrected the typo in the thread title.

emeltee
27-04-2017, 11:30 AM
According to FreeBMD the reference for the marriage of Louisa Smith is vol 3b page 264 and she married either David Julian or William Webb.

Emeltee

Peter Goodey
27-04-2017, 3:06 PM
Please give us the son's details from his birth certificate. This will be solid ground for us to build on.

Susan Kitchen
27-04-2017, 5:33 PM
Please give us the son's details from his birth certificate. This will be solid ground for us to build on.

23rd May 1872 Market Harborough. Divorah, boy. Father Walter Smith, Mother, Louisa Smith formerly Smith. Fathers occupation Tinman and Brazier.

Lesley Robertson
27-04-2017, 6:17 PM
Have you found them in the census?

emeltee
27-04-2017, 7:30 PM
Could this be them?

RG10/3279/F78/p14
Wood Street, St Margaret, Leicester
Walter Smith head 26 Tinman
Louisa Smith wife25
Alfred Smith son 8
Abigail Smith dau 5
Walter Smith son 1
Violet Smith mother 40 widow
All down as born Leicestershire

RG11/1576/F74/p33
68 Marshall Street, Kettering
Walter Smith head 40 Tinman Uppingham
Louisa Smith wife 38 Not Known
Alfred Smith 19 son Oundle
Walter Smith son 12 Leicester
Deverous Smith son 8 Market Harborough

Alfred, Abigail and Walter all have mmn Smith

Emeltee

Susan Kitchen
27-04-2017, 9:24 PM
Could this be them?

RG10/3279/F78/p14
Wood Street, St Margaret, Leicester
Walter Smith head 26 Tinman
Louisa Smith wife25
Alfred Smith son 8
Abigail Smith dau 5
Walter Smith son 1
Violet Smith mother 40 widow
All down as born Leicestershire

RG11/1576/F74/p33
68 Marshall Street, Kettering
Walter Smith head 40 Tinman Uppingham
Louisa Smith wife 38 Not Known
Alfred Smith 19 son Oundle
Walter Smith son 12 Leicester
Deverous Smith son 8 Market Harborough

Alfred, Abigail and Walter all have mmn Smith

Emeltee

Yes i have them on the 1871 and 1881 census but no marriage. It's not really important but Louisa and the marriage i quoted in the earlier post was thrown up in the hints on Ancestry.

janbooth
28-04-2017, 9:31 AM
Have you seen this family in the 1861 census of Uppingham (RG9/2308, folio 12, page21). I think they must be connected to your family in some way because of the name of their son Diveres - are they your Walter's parents?

Walter SMITH Head Mar 50 Tin Plate Worker Rutland Barrowden
Louisa do Wife Mar 54 Hawker Northampton Geddington
? do Daur 20 do do Corby
Walter do Son 18 Tin Plate Worker Rutland Bellmansthorpe
Unicer? do Daur 11 do Ketton
Diveres do Son 7 Northampton Helpston

Ancestry have the baptism of a son Cana at Brigstock on 2 June 1833 his parents being shown as Walter & Louisa SMITH, Gypsy. I think the name of their eldest daughter is Traidy - baptism on 22 March 1840 at Collyweston, parents Walter & Louisa SMITH, Wolvey, Warwickshire, Travelling Tinman & Brazier. Another daughter Matilda baptised at Wittering on 16 December 1855. Son Divory SMITH baptised 7 July 1852 at Helpston, parents Walter & Louisa, Gipsy.

Can't find marriages for either Walter at the moment and have to go now - grandson sitting calls - but will try to have another look later on.

Janet

Lesley Robertson
28-04-2017, 10:01 AM
I must admit that I have been wondering about gypsies.

Susan, you might find it useful to look through suggested sources on our Romanies forum HERE (https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/424-Romanies). It doesn't seem very active at the moment, but there might be something that helps, whether they're Roma or simply Travellers. There seem to be quite a few sites to help with the problems of finding very mobile families.

The Romany and Traveller Society are HERE (http://rtfhs.org.uk/).

Susan Kitchen
28-04-2017, 12:29 PM
I must admit that I have been wondering about gypsies.

Susan, you might find it useful to look through suggested sources on our Romanies forum HERE (https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/424-Romanies). It doesn't seem very active at the moment, but there might be something that helps, whether they're Roma or simply Travellers. There seem to be quite a few sites to help with the problems of finding very mobile families.

The Romany and Traveller Society are HERE (http://rtfhs.org.uk/).

Thank you very much for the information. Obviously i don't go down the Smith route too often.