PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a birth certificate prior to 1837

blinnie
24-04-2017, 7:49 AM
hi there,
I am not sure if this thread is meant to be here but I am trying at abtain a birth certificate from 1829 not sure how I can do this can someone please help me.

thankyou

Peter Goodey
24-04-2017, 7:54 AM
For events before the start of civil registration (1837 in England & Wales). you need to search church and chapel registers for a baptism or equivalent.

Ladkyis
24-04-2017, 9:36 AM
Before 1837 there was no registration of anything - not legal registration. You will need, as Peter says, to search baptismal records to see if your ancestor was baptised. Even then then chances are that the actual date of the birth will not be recorded.

If you can't find anything in the parish you think is the right one then you have to search all those parishes around it. No easy way through this.

Pam Downes
24-04-2017, 11:40 AM
I know that birth certificates, but not as we know them, did exist prior to civil registration, and I'm sure it was Guy Etchells who posted an example on BG some time ago. However despite scouring about two hundred bookmarked threads from BG I can't see a link to it. :banghead:

I have found information relating to some birth certificates issued by/for non-conformists.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LONDON/2001-11/1004906898

There's also an interesting snippet about certificates going back to 1644 in this link (Guy again :smile5:)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/pre1812.htm
Just scroll down the page till you see '1644' and then it's the last few words of the paragraph.

Pam

stepives
24-04-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a Baptism Certificate that was issued by the Church, not a cert as we know it.

Historically, baptisms certificates were used as a legal document to prove your indentity, as birth certs do today.

Baptism certs are still issued today, but do not have any legal standing, as far as I know.

It is very rare that these survive in the family. I have only managed to have one in my possession, issue by the Clerk of the church.

Steve.:)

blinnie
25-04-2017, 12:37 AM
thankyou everyone that responded to my post much apprecieated
but how do I find parish records

henry William jubb was born 3 may 1829 clarborough Nottingham in England
his parent were henry wiliam jubb died 1839
mother was Elizabeth bamforth/banforth
not sure on siblings at this moment
so I need to find a parish records in that area of England

thankyou

christanel
25-04-2017, 1:32 AM
Hi
The Jubb child baptised 3 May 1829 at Clarborough was William Jubb, no Henry attached to the transcript of this record on familysearch.org His father is named as Henry (no William) and mother Elizabeth.
There are two more males baptised at Clarborough to a Henry and Elizabeth.George Henry Jubb baptised 24 Dec 1825
Died 27 Jan 1831
Another William baptised 3 Aug 1836. Same parents, same place.
Do you have your man's marriage record to Elizabeth Corr in Victoria?

Ypu can order the films of the baptisms from your nearest LDS centre. They may have more information.
Christina

almach
25-04-2017, 2:28 AM
This family seem to like using their middle birth names.

1841, East Retford, Nottinghamshre. HO107; Piece: 851; Book: 11; Folio: 28; Page: 11
Elizth Jubb 35, widow
William Jubb 12
Harriett Jubb 10
Charles Jubb 8
Elizabeth Jubb 1

JUBB, Jane Elizabeth, mother's maiden name BAMFORTH
GRO Reference: 1839 Dec Quarter in EAST RETFORD UNION Volume 15 Page 459

almach
25-04-2017, 2:47 AM
In 1851 Elizabeth Jubb age 11, born East Retford is with Elizabeth STAMP age 40 born Sutton Nottinghamshire and her husband John STAMP age 33, born Mansfield. They are living in Ordsall Nottinghamshire. HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 556; Page: 20;

It looks like Elizabeth has dumbed down her age by a few years, probably because her husband is quite a few years younger.

Marriages Dec 1848, East Retford vol 15 page 1057
Elizabeth JUBB, John STAMP

almach
25-04-2017, 3:01 AM
Courtesy of Ancestry; Collection: Nottinghamshire: - Register of Marriages, 1553-1837
Henry Jubb, of Clareborough, & Elizabeth Bamforth 15 Sep 1823
Marriages at Ossington, 1600 to 1837. (Marriage)

blinnie
25-04-2017, 5:05 AM
hi Christina,

thanks for looking that up for me I do have the marriage certificate for William and Elizabeth
and I have William death resurces. he went under henry William in Australia.
the only thing I haven't found is William war records I have his number and where he came to Australia for.

I don't know what Williams father died of he died in 1839 at east retford and I would like to get a copy of his grave to put with his file.

I cant order the films because I am in Australia and I would know how to go about getting them .

thankyou
belinda

Guy Etchells
25-04-2017, 7:07 AM
Sorry I have not been able to post on this thread prior to today.

First let me squash the myth there are no certificates before civil registration in 1837, there are.
Some examples are on the following pages.

http://anguline.co.uk/cert/certificates.htm

A certificate is simply a certified entry of an event, nothing more nothing less.

There has been a legal requirement to register births to comply with various laws at various times in history from at least 1644 to the present day. In 1695 it was the legal duty of the parents of a child to register its birth within 5 days with a fine of 40 shillings was imposed on parents who omitted to give notice within the five days and a similar penalty was payable by the vicar.

Incidentally it should also be noted that one of the main reasons for civil registration to be instituted in England and Wales was to provide proof for inheritance purposes, I.E. family history. So never allow a registrar office to fob you off by saying they are too busy to provide certificates for family history that is the main reason they are there in the first place.

Parish registers are archived at either the parish church or more commonly the Dioceses Archive, (which may also be the county record office, but not all Diocese Archives are in the same county as the parish).
Many historic parish registers have been microfilmed and an increasing number are available digitally online from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (commonly called the Mormons or the LDS). Where possible try to view copies microfilm or digital of the original parish register rather than transcripts as these are more likely to be accurate and be aware there may be more than on “original” parish register or section of a parish register for a parish. Some churches have up to 4 copies if the Bishop’s transcript is included each copy containing differences, errors, omissions or additions.
Never be content with being presented with any particular register try to find out if there are other copies available and view every copy you possibly can, the last one you view may be the one that holds the key to further research.

Cheers
Guy

christanel
25-04-2017, 7:37 AM
On this page (https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator?c=australia)choose the state in which you live in OZ and it will show you where the family history centres are located.
Christina

Pam Downes
25-04-2017, 9:28 AM
Thank you Guy,

I was so hoping that you'd see this thread and prove me right. :smile5:
(Page now bookmarked for future reference. )

Pam