PDA

View Full Version : From Norfolk, England to Canada - your family?

robbieuk
07-10-2005, 1:10 PM
My ancestors were labourers and small holders, sherpherds, innkeepers and cattle drivers in rural Norfolk. During the lean years of the 1830s and 1840s many of them emigrated (by personal choice or 'assisted' by the parish) to Canada.

Names include Bambridge, Rush, Kerry, Richmond.

These people were pioneers, they helped to foudn what has become modern Canada. If your Canadaian ancestors came from Norfolk, then get in touch.

Rob

Geoffers
07-10-2005, 2:05 PM
The rush to emigrate increased with the passing of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, which provided for assisted passage. The records for applications are held in ledgers at The Naitonal Archives (TNA) at Kew, in document class MH12.

Entries were recorded in headed columns and include the following detail:
Name, age, marital state, occupation, amount of parish relief received in the last year, where emigrating to and remarks.

The remarks can be enlighting, from "Good character able to do any work", "Not well respected by other parishioners" through to one entry I found which simply stated "idle".

Geoffers

robbieuk
07-10-2005, 2:56 PM
Geoffers, as you seem to have such a lot of other information at your finger tips - do you have a transcription of soem of these records - from your beloved Norfolk parishes in particular?

Rob

Geoffers
07-10-2005, 5:47 PM
Geoffers, as you seem to have such a lot of other information at your finger tips - do you have a transcription of some of these records - from your beloved Norfolk parishes in particular?
If only......ah well, one can but dream. There are loads and loads and loads of these ledgers. I have a few entries, but only that. As I save up my pennies. I hope at some time to get photocopies of those relating to Aylsham Union.

Geoffers

canuck1
21-05-2007, 4:37 AM
from norfolk to suffolk to lancashire to british columbia, canada and alberta

daines is the name and all relatives of henry and bathsheba circa born 1800

then henry and angelina cracknell in ixworth, 7 children / henry and emma l. dawkins went to manchester 9 children - 7 survived to adulthood. 6 went to canada

Hoyden
21-05-2008, 2:20 AM
The rush to emigrate increased with the passing of the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, which provided for assisted passage. The records for applications are held in ledgers at The Naitonal Archives (TNA) at Kew, in document class MH12.

Entries were recorded in headed columns and include the following detail:
Name, age, marital state, occupation, amount of parish relief received in the last year, where emigrating to and remarks.

The remarks can be enlighting, from "Good character able to do any work", "Not well respected by other parishioners" through to one entry I found which simply stated "idle".

Geoffers

Geoffers,

Is this listing on-line perhaps?

I am looking for an Abraham Thrower born in 1812 who migrated to the US prior to 1830.

Geoffers
21-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Is this listing on-line perhaps?
I am looking for an Abraham Thrower born in 1812 who migrated to the US prior to 1830.

The records are not online - there are lots of them, covering some 60 years.

Those who emigrated prior to 1834 will not be included as that is when these particualr records began with the Poor Law Amendment Act.

I have a vague recollection of another thread with this East Anglian name mentioned. In case I didn;t suggest it elsewhere - have you tried searching the 1841 census for anyone called Abraham THROWER - cousins were sometimes both named after a grandparent, it might lead nowhere, but then you never know it may give a parish or area to narrow things down a little.

Fare y'well tergether, 'bor

Hoyden
21-05-2008, 11:20 PM
The records are not online - there are lots of them, covering some 60 years.

Those who emigrated prior to 1834 will not be included as that is when these particualr records began with the Poor Law Amendment Act.

I have a vague recollection of another thread with this East Anglian name mentioned. In case I didn;t suggest it elsewhere - have you tried searching the 1841 census for anyone called Abraham THROWER - cousins were sometimes both named after a grandparent, it might lead nowhere, but then you never know it may give a parish or area to narrow things down a little.

Fare y'well tergether, 'bor

I didn't think of that! Thanks. :) I'll have a look this evening.