PDA

View Full Version : Blackton Family Derbyshire

Carrie Broadbent
07-10-2005, 6:25 AM
Does anyone have any connections or information on my Blackton family forebears from around the 1850's and 1860's. I know some of the family were living at 20 Norman Street, Normanton at the time of the 1881 census.
They were Jane Blackton (nee? aged 56, head of household) and some of the children, John, Henry, Fanny (married William Shaw 1887), Thomas and Elizabeth. Other children who were not home at the time of the census were Joseph (married Hannah Watts 1875), Jane (married John Nicholls 1883) and Alice.
Joseph Blackton the father must have died between 1870 and 1881, I would like to find out where and when he was born. My grandmother said she thought the Blacktons originally came from Wales to work in the Derbyshire Mines.
I would be grateful of any help in tracing my grandmothers family.
Thanking you.
Carrie

janbooth
07-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Could this be them in the 1871 census of St Alkmunds, Derby:

PRO Ref: RG10/3560, folio 47, page 17
Schedule 75, 15 Busby Place

Joseph BLACKTON Head Mar 56 Labourer Derbyshire Milford
Jane do Wife Mar 48 do Derby
Joseph do Son Unm 17 Labourer do do
John do Son 13 Labourer do do
Jane do Daur 11 Scholar do do
Henry do Son 9 Scholar do do
Fanny do Daur 6 Scholar do do
Thomas do Son 4 Scholar do do
Elizth do Daur 1 do do

And I think this is the same family in the 1861 census of St Peter, Derby:

PRO Ref: RG9/2501, folio 9, page 17
Schedule 79, 1 Bradshaw St

Joseph BLACKWALL Head Mar 44 Railway Porter Derbyshire Milford
Jane do Wife Mar 36 do Derby
Edward do Son Unm 13 Cotton Lace Hand do do
Joseph do Son 8 Scholar do do
John do Son 4 do do do
Jane do Daur 1 do do

Hope this helps.

Janet

janbooth
07-10-2005, 3:05 PM
Carrie,

Following on from the 1861/71 census records for Joseph and Jane, I tried to find them on the 1841 census and came up with the following in St Peter, Derby:

PRO Ref: HO107/199, folio 32 (I think), page 13
Hill Street

Joseph BLACKTON 25 Silk Throwster Born in county Y
Jane do 20 Net m N
Sarah PINKSTONE 20 Net m N

In the Civil Registration records via Ancestry there is the marriage record of a Joseph BLACKTON recorded in the December quarter 1838 in Derby reg district vol 19, page 456 and one of the other names shown on that page is a Jane PINKSTONE - food for thought!!

Janet.

Carrie Broadbent
14-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much Janet for the census information. Its been a great help.

I have two questions about the 1841 census.
1. Joseph Blackton, Born in county Y. Does the Y stand for Yorkshire?
2. What does "Net m N" mean after Jane Blackton's and Sarah Pinkstone's names?

Carrie

janbooth
14-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Carrie,

The Y means born in the county the census was taken in, which in Joseph's case is Derbyshire (the Y stands for Yes) and the N for both Jane and Sarah means they were not born in Derbyshire (N standing for No). The occupation of Net m in both Jane and Sarah's case is exactly as it was shown in the census and probably stands for Net maker as in Lace Net making or something similar.

Janet

marcomay1968
31-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Carrie,
Elizabeth Blackton, I've recently gleaned off a birth cert, was my gggrandmother. Married William Gregory in Derby, 1895. Gave birth to my great-grandfather in 1897 'Back of 37 Eagle Street, Derby' - long since demolished and under the Eagle Centre in Derby.

My thoughts about the census & Jane Pinkstone match with what jan has suggested - can't spot joseph on the IGI etc but I'll keep looking and let you know if owt turns up.
Cheers
Mark Couchman

marcomay1968
21-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Carrie,
On Elizabeth Blackton's birth cert the mothers name is noted as Jane nee BEESTON.

I found a wedding for Joseph Blackton & Jane Beeston in 1853 Derby. On the wedding cert Joseph is recorded as a widower & resident of sacheveral street, father John Blackton.

Irritatingly I can't find a death record for Jane nee Pinkstone.

Any ideas?
Mark Couchman

websterbfc
26-06-2008, 9:27 PM
Hi Carrie,
On Elizabeth Blackton's birth cert the mothers name is noted as Jane nee BEESTON.

I found a wedding for Joseph Blackton & Jane Beeston in 1853 Derby. On the wedding cert Joseph is recorded as a widower & resident of sacheveral street, father John Blackton.

Irritatingly I can't find a death record for Jane nee Pinkstone.

Any ideas?
Mark Couchman

sorry to gate crash mark but where are your couchman ancestors from?....kent??