PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Butt marriage 1810 Fletching

michellemcintosh3
06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Is there anybody who can lookup a parish reg for the marriage of Stephen Butt and Sarah Shaw 12 Nov 1810 at Flectching also the bap of Elizabeth Ann Butt 9 April 1815 also at Fletching the IGI does not list a church.
Thank you
Michelle

Jane M
08-10-2005, 7:42 PM
Hi Michelle,

This is from the Sussex Marriage Index. As it's by licence, the licence details first then the actual marriage two days later,

Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence, 10 Nov 1810
Stephen Butt, 20 servant. Streatham Surrey
Sarah SHAW, sp 20 with consent of Thos.S. farmer
SRS 25 ss: S.B.; Thomas SHAW yeoman, Fletching

Fletching, East Sussex, 12 Nov 1810
Stephen Butt, Streatham Surrey married Sarah SHAW, otp (lic)

Can't help with the baptism record but there would probably be only one church in Fletching. I'll get back to you on that one,

jane

Jane M
08-10-2005, 7:49 PM
Michelle,

Online Parish Clerks have limited information on Fletching. It looks to have only the one parish church. You could also contact the Sussex Family History Group for more information,

Jane

michellemcintosh3
08-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Jane
Thank for finding this info for me, it is a great help as I was hoping to find out where Stephen was born, now I have somewhere to look for the rest of the family.
Michelle

Jane M
09-10-2005, 9:23 AM
You're welcome, Michelle,

Jane

michellemcintosh3
09-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Jane
I thought I would get Stephen's fathers name just to confirm that it was the right Stephen, would his father be listed when he applyed for the licence?
if so, how does one go about getting a copy of it.
michelle

Jane M
09-10-2005, 3:59 PM
Hi Michelle,
Normally the actual licence doesn't survive, what is available is called an Allegation. Simply speaking this was an entry made to the effect that both parties were free to marry each other as there was no banns read in the church.
It was a sworn and signed statement made, normally by the groom or his sponsor, in person at the relevant issuing office. I have a few & it gives the date of issue, the names of the bride & groom, ages, place of intended marriage. the place of abode of the groom and this is signed. An allegation is not always proof of a marriage because either party could change their minds! It also had to be used within 3 months of its issue.
I found entries for Stephen Butt on British Origins but it's a subscription site. Also found a baptism for Stephen Butt on the LDS IG Index, 27/9/1789. Gillingham, Dorset s/o Richard & Susanna Butt. Although Stephen is from Streatham at the time of his marriage, he might not have been born there,

Jane

michellemcintosh3
11-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi Jane
The Stephen Butt I am after is the son of Henry Butt and Jane Beach. In Henry's will he left money the Sarah wife of his deceased son Stephen and Stephen died 24 Feb 1825 age 45 at Soho London the newspaper report said that he died at home in Soho and was the son of Henry, as there were children baptized at St Ann's Soho from 1819 onwards I have asked if anybody could look up these Christening but as jet I haven't had a reply. I still have not ruled this couple out as I don't know where Stephen was born as Henry and Jane turn up in Houghton Hamp around 1785 I can't find out where they married and can't find a birth there for Stephen, old Henry seems well to do going by his will.
Thanks Michelle