PDA

View Full Version : Accident where ?...

Maud Jarvis
06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Seeing this site about railway accidents, prompts me to post my query in the hope that someone could point me in the right direction

My gt grandfather worked for the GPO (he lived in Derby) he was travelling on the trains sorting post etc. He had retired early in 1876 due to his having had a serious accident on the railway. I have his record from the GPO archives, but although the accident (actually two of them) is mentioned and was the reason for his retirement, he was paid compensation two separate amounts £40 and £40 and some shillings, which would have been I imagine a substantial amount in the 1870s. Unfortunately, the records do not give any information as to the nature of the accidents or where they happened, although there is a brief mention of his eysight being a problem (perhaps he had a head injury?) Also, no particular branch of the rail line has been supplied, I presume it would have been a regular route from Derby to London?

I have posted some queries on the various boards for Derby, asking for information on which particular newspaper for Derby could have perhaps published a comment about the accident, in the hope that if I find that information, I could ask my son to go to Colindale and look up the poarticular newspaper,or hope that someone near the record office in Derby could have access to it there and look it up for me. I have had no success in finding an answer so far,

I have posted some queries on the various boards for Derby, asking for information on which particular newspaper for Derby could have perhaps published a comment about the accident, in the hope that if I find that information, I could ask my son to go to Colindale and look up the poarticular newspaper,or hope that someone near the record office in Derby could have access to it there and look it up for me. I have had no success in finding an answer so far,

However, the main problem is, would the accident have been considered to have been the responsibility of the GPO or of the Railway company ? and if it was the Railway company, which one? and where would I need to contact to get the information, providing that it still exists that is.

Sorry if this sounds a bit rambly, I hope it is understandable!

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful, thank you

Rod Neep
06-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Derby = The Midland Railway Company

Trains were not run by the Post Office, but the railway company.

Rod

Colin Moretti
07-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Hello Maud

TNA at Kew has a large collection of railway company records, here's a link to one of their leaflets:
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=114

I've never looked at them so don't know what you're likely to find.

Good luck

Colin