PDA

View Full Version : Benedetti Brothers

dagian
10-03-2017, 2:36 PM
Interested in any info on the two Benedetti Brothers (a Musical Clown act - possibly violinist). I believe they were Italian and appeared in Music Hall in the 1920s. I do know that they appeared on the same Bill as the Comedian Frank Randle in Barnsley and had also appeared in Manchester in 1925.

MrsPoppy
10-03-2017, 3:00 PM
Hi Dagian

The newspapers have lots of advertisements for the Benedetti Brothers, "their great violinistic absurdity" - that is in Hull in 1932.

Also if you put Benedetti in the Discovery Search on the National Archives site several interesting items come up which you may be able to follow up on.

Mrs P

MrsPoppy
10-03-2017, 3:38 PM
I saw articles for the "Benedetti Sisters" in the 1940's and I wondered if they could be daughters of the two brothers. An obituary from 1973 talks about the daughter of one of the Benedetti Brothers, Edoardo, I see the name spelt Eduardo and Edwardo. Freebmd has a marriage in 1920 for an Edoardo Benedetti to a Gladys Patterson in West Ham Registration District.

Did you want information on them personally or on their stage lives?

Mrs P

dagian
10-03-2017, 4:33 PM
Great - hadn't thought of Newspapers. I am actually after anything I can find on them. After many years I have just discovered that my Aunt was the illigitimate daughter of one of them (my Grandmother was a Music Hall artiste).

MrsPoppy
10-03-2017, 5:27 PM
You have probably googled already but on a certain well known site that sells stuff (I am not sure what I can mention on the forum) there are signed photographs of them in their clown outfits with violins and also notes and a letter from Eddie Bendetti that have been for sale in the past.

All the newspapers say they were very talented violinists.

Mrs P

dagian
10-03-2017, 5:57 PM
Searched the 'exxx site' but didn't find anything. I am particularly interested in what their full names were in order to research further. Thanks.

MrsPoppy
10-03-2017, 9:17 PM
Hi

I have sent you a pm re the link.

There is this naturalisation on Ancestry - Edwardo Patrizio De Benedetti

There is also a death in 1940 and a probate on the same site.

If you have access they might be worth checking out in case they are the same person and you may get a clue to his brother's name.

Mrs P

dagian
10-03-2017, 9:51 PM
Link worked. Interesting he Married in 1920 as my Aunt was born 1925 so it is likely that it may have been the other Brother (if he was unmarried); although an affair could be quite possible. I have Ancestry - I shall look what I can find there. You have been a great help.:flowers:

MrsPoppy
10-03-2017, 9:57 PM
BENEDETTI BROTHERS Musicians in Twenty Positions These melodious contortionists were Guglielmo (d January 1935) and Eduardo (d June 17th 1940) (from google books).

Mrs P

dagian
10-03-2017, 11:00 PM
We'll never know which Brother could be the Father. Eduardo married 1920/Guglielmo married 1925 (the year my Aunt was born) so it could be either. Of course even DNA would not provide the answer, as they both have the same! I am extremely grateful for all your help.

MrsPoppy
11-03-2017, 11:45 AM
You are very welcome. If it is just family knowledge that your Aunt was the child of one of the brothers then, as you say, it might remain a mystery especially if there are no family documents, maintenance payment records or letters and so forth. I am not very au fait with DNA so I don't know if there is a way to distinguish which children come from which brother.

Good luck with your research.

Mrs P

dagian
11-03-2017, 11:59 AM
DNA would not help as it is passed down through the Male Members of a family which means both Brothers would have the same. At least I have been able to narrow down my Aunt's Father to 2 People in the same family. It is highly unlikely that there would be any documented proof of Payments etc as they were both Married at that time and any payments would likely be 'voluntary and silent' so their spouses would be unaware. In those days Music Hall Artistes had a pretty risque lifestyle due to their nomadic existance and such dalliances were the norm. The Benedetti Bros appear to have appeared everywhere throughout the UK and Italy so they may have 'girls in every Port' and possibly a lot more illigitimate children. :flowers::flowers:

dagian
11-03-2017, 12:12 PM
BTW - forgot to mention why I am so sure that one of the Brothers was the Father. After years of researching I found a reference in a book to a Conversation between one of the Brothers and a very well known Comedian of the day that they had both alledgedly fathered a child with the same girl. I contacted the Author of the book who confirmed the story. However the story had become 'muddled' over the years - one had a child with my Great Aunt and the other with her Sister (my Grandmother). The Birth Certificate shows my Aunt's Middle Name as BENEDETTI. Result!

MrsPoppy
11-03-2017, 12:14 PM
I think that is just life happening isn't it. I have a friend who was a dancer on the London stages in 1950's/1960's and she said it was a hotbed then.

MrsPoppy
11-03-2017, 12:26 PM
just realised I had not seen the other post. That is fantastic detective work. There is no smoke without fire so they say and you proved that.

Both brother's seem to die so young didn't they.

I see Gugliemlo's probate on Ancestry has his name as William Gugliemo Benedetti.

Do you think their Wills would mention anything or would it just be a complete secret.

Mrs P

dagian
11-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Not surprised they both died young - such strenuous activity on and off Stage probably wore them out (lol). Now I have established a confirmed connection I can start looking at whatever other records can be accessed to finish the Story. I believe they must have used the names Edward and William (the Cards are signed W Benetti). I have managed to break down many 'brick walls' but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can help - I am therefore very grateful for your help.

Chris77
30-05-2018, 7:39 PM
Hi, I just stumbled across your post, if you manage to see this. Guillermo Benedetti was my great grandfather,
and I know a little of the family history.

gilian rowland
31-05-2018, 7:17 PM
There is a world famous violinist with the same surname but as living doubt I can put the Christian name - just wondered
if any connection - Italian parents - guess you can google. Won Young Musician of the year - that might help!
Don't know if this is of interest/any use!
Jill

AndySG
12-02-2022, 2:30 PM
Hello dagian
Are you still interested in the Benedetti brothers. I may be able to help as my wife's grandfather was Edoardo or Edwardo depending which document you look at. If so please get in touch and let's see where it takes us in the search. We have many missing answers as well.

AndySG
12-02-2022, 2:31 PM
Hello Chris77
Are you still interested in the Benedetti brothers. I may be able to help as my wife's grandfather was Edoardo or Edwardo depending which document you look at. If so please get in touch and let's see where it takes us in the search. We have many missing answers as well.

AndySG
21-03-2022, 5:42 PM
Hello Chris77

Lesley Robertson
21-03-2022, 6:41 PM
Andy, Welcome to BG. The membership of Chris77 is still valid, but as can be seen from the tag "guest" under his name, dagian has left us. Once an account lapses, we are not allowed to retain contact info.
Good luck!