PDA

View Full Version : David Newton - multiple wives at same time?

hilarykellis
08-03-2017, 1:17 AM
Hi all,

I am confused by my ancestor, Davey or David Newton. As far as I know, he is the father of Louisa Newton b. 1820 in the Lee, Buckingham. Louisa's baptismal record states parents David and Mary and she appears to have multiple siblings. I found a marriage for David Newton and Mary Wooten in Lee on 15 Dec 1818, which adds up.

I was looking for David's death and found this: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=130516350&PIpi=102391481 and have no idea if it's him. He was born, according to census records, in about 1784 and his last census is in 1871. I cannot find David or Louisa in the 1841 census.

Online, public family trees have David marrying a Phillis Carter in Holborn, Middlesex in 1816 and having multiple children with her, and have her dying in 1852 - but also have David marrying Mary - which would be bigamy, no? They also have David's parents alternately as John Newton and Elizabeth Parsons and as William Newton and Rebecca Parratt, which is what I had (and that he was baptised in 1786 in Lee as Davey).

So what is going on? Who is Phillis Carter? They have her in 1851 with her daughter Charlotte....

And David is living at the same time with his son as a pauper and they have a 22 year old "housekeeper" - how is that possible for a pauper? And where is everyone in 1841?

So many questions unanswered - any help is appreciated.

christanel
08-03-2017, 1:59 AM
Hi
Be very wary of using information from a lot of online trees. To understate it, they can have the wrong information because they have not done the rigorous research and are inclined to accept any hints as gospel.
I see that in the 1851 census David's son James is age 26 living with his father and the 'housekeeper' Lucy Bishop age 22. Housekeeper can be a euphemism for a woman not legally married to a male in the household. Lucy Bishop may have shared the accommodation but not be paid a wage. She may well not have been involved with either of the men and just wanted to make clear her position in the household. Have you followed James to see who he married?
So look at the information you have found, decide which is fact and then put anything else to one side as a maybe or a complete flight of fancy. Do write down the source of any information you find.
I wonder where they are in 1841?
Christina

christanel
08-03-2017, 2:15 AM
FreeBMD
Death
David Newton Sept 1/4 1878 age 98 registration district Aylesbury (which includes Cholesbury) He was living with his son James in Colesbury in 1871. Ordering the death certificate would give the informants name which could be James.

In the 1871 census it says that David had been blind for 20 years. The photographs on Find A Grave seem to tally with that.

Christina

christanel
08-03-2017, 2:35 AM
1871 census
RG10 Piece 1413 Folio 81 Page 16
James Newton Head Widower 47 Cholesbury, Buckinghamshire
David Newton Father Widower 88 Lee, Buckinghamshire
Sophia Newton Daughter 17 Housekeeper Cholesbury, Buckinghamshire
Sophia would be keeping house for her father and grandfather.

Christina

almach
08-03-2017, 2:38 AM
Be very wary of using information from a lot of online trees. To understate it, they can have the wrong information because they have not done the rigorous research and are inclined to accept any hints as gospel.

Please take heed of Christina's advice. All too many people are lazy researchers and take any hint as fact and wilfully copy from others trees.

I've started to try and make sense of your query, not easy ;) Looking at the 1851 censuses for David and Phyllis, Phyllis is described as married, David I think too but it's difficult to be certain as the 'condition' column has a blob over the word.

David has a son with him in 1851, born approx. 1825. There's a baptism for James Newton 23rd Jan 1825, Cholesbury, parents David and Phyllis.

Louisa Newton was baptised in Lee on 24 Apr 1820, parents David and Mary.
A David and Mary were also having children in Wendover between 1822 - 28.

Looking at the evidence collected so far I think there's at least two, possibly three David Newton's in the Aylesbury area. Another pairing is David Newton and Phoebe having children in the 1830's in Wendover.

almach
08-03-2017, 2:51 AM
This looks like James in 1841, he's a male servant aged 15, in Choulesbury. HO107; Piece: 49; Book: 4; Enumeration District: 4; Page: 1;

stepives
08-03-2017, 3:07 AM
From BucksFHS - The Lee, Transcripts CD.

Marriage - 13 Jun 1782. by Banns.
Davey(x)NEWTON of The Lee.
Hannah(x)FRANKLIN of The Lee.
Witnesses - John Newton Faney Burch.

Baptism - 25 Sep 1782. John son of Davey & Hannah NEWTON.
Baptism - 3 Apr 1785. Elizabeth daughter of Davey & Hannah NEWTON.
Baptism 28 Feb 1791. Jane daughter of David & Hannah NEWTON
Baptism 7 Jul 1793 Henry son of David & Hannah NEWTON
Baptism 25 May 1796. Davey son of David & Hannah NEWTON

Burial - 11 Nov 1830. Hannah NEWTON aged 69 of Lee.
Burial 13 Dec 1840. David NEWTON aged 86 of Lee

Marriage - 15 Dec 1818. by Banns
David X NEWTON, Bachelor of Wendover.
Mary WOOTEN, Spinster otp
Witnesses - John Barnes & John Burch.

Baptism- 24 Apr 1820. Louisa, daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Lee, Labourer.
Burial - 11 Jun 1828. Mary NEWTON aged 35 of Wendover.

Baptism - 8 Aug 1784. Davey son of William & Rebecca NEWTON.
Burial - 6 Jan 1828. Rebecca NEWTON aged 7? of Lee. (Could be mother of David, wife of William). aged 72 would be about right.
Burial - 23 Aug 1840 William NEWTON aged 93 of Amersham Union Workhouse.

BucksFHS - Wendover Transcripts. CD.

Baptism 11 Aug 1822 Charlotte daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer.
Baptism 9 Jan 1825 William son of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer
Baptism 9 May 1828 Jane daughter of David & Mary NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer

Marriage 22 Oct 1832 by Banns
David(x)NEWTON, Widower otp
Phoebe(x)CHANDLER, Spinster otp
Witnesses - Sophia X Keen, James X Taylor, John Franklin.

Baptism 14 Jun 1833 Sophia daughter of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer
Baptism 28 Dec 1834 Caroline daughter of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labour
Baptism 17 Jan 1836 David son of David & Phoebe NEWTON of Wendover, Labourer

Burial 4 Jan 1835 Caroline NEWTON aged 5w of Wendover
Burial 31 Jul 1833 Sophia NEWTON aged 6m of Wendover
Burial 23 Jun 1847 Phoebe NEWTON aged 46 of Wendover.
Burial 7 Nov 1835 David NEWTON aged 40 of Wendover.

Marriage 19 Mar 1859 by Banns
David X NEWTON, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of David Newton, Labourer
Hannah NEWTON, aged FA, Spinster of Great Missenden, Plaiter daughter of Joseph Newton, Labourer
Witnesses John Plested Thomas Walker

Hope this answers some questions. If you need any more look ups in Wendover or The Lee, please ask.

Steve.:)

almach
08-03-2017, 3:10 AM
A David Newton was buried 7th Nov 1835 in Wendover.

Also a David Newton death registered Amersham Oct - Dec 1840.

I'm a bit late with the info, just been reading through what Steve has posted.

Wonderful info, Steve :) Well done, I can leave this now and go try and sleep ;)

christanel
08-03-2017, 3:21 AM
Hmmm. There is a christening of a Sophia Newton born 6 Jan 1822 baptized 23 Jan 1825 at Cholesbury,f ather David, mother Phyllis. David's son James has a daughter Sophia born c1834 so the name is in the family but we are now back to a David with a Phyllis.
Christina

I am way behind the times because I left this to clean up after pulling out bathroom wall linings. :smile5:

stepives
08-03-2017, 3:24 AM
1841 census.

Phebe Newton
Born abt 1801
Born -Buckinghamshire.
Civil Parish - Wendover
Hundred - Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire.

Address- Lee Common.

Reg.dist. -Wycombe
Sub-reg dist. Wendover
Piece-43. Book - 4. .Folio -6. .Page-6

Phebe Newton 40
William Newton 20. Bucks
Mary Newton 14, Bucks.
David Newton 5 n.b.i.c.

stepives
08-03-2017, 3:37 AM
Wendover PR's.

Marriage 23 Sep 1843 by Banns
William X CHANDLER, aged FA, Bachelor of Wendover, Labourer son of William Chandler, Labourer
Louisa X NEWTON, aged FA, Spinster of Wendover, Plaiter daughter of David Newton, Labourer
Witnesses James X Keen Ann X Woodhouse

Steve. :)

wimsey
08-03-2017, 3:47 AM
as far as the Trafalgar man goes, this researcher seems to agree with a parentage of William & Rebecca

http://www.cholesbury.com/pdf/battle-of-trafalgar.pdf

.......... but, as has been said, we mustn't slavishly copy other's ideas (and it may be the wrong man anyway)

stepives
08-03-2017, 4:00 AM
BucksFHS - Cholesbury PR's CD.

Baptism 10 Dec 1818 Charlotte born 9 Dec daughter of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer.
Baptism 23 Jan 1825 Sophia born 6 Jan 1822 daughter of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer.
Baptism 23 Jan 1825 James born 27 Dec 1824 son of David & Phyllis NEWTON of Choulsbury, Labourer

Burial 9 Nov 1832 Sophia NEWTON aged 11 of Cholesbury
Burial 5 Aug 1852 Phillis NEWTON aged 74 of Cholesbury
Burial 4 Sep 1878 David NEWTON in his 99th year, a Marine fought at the Battle of Trafalgar of Cholesbury. As written in the transcripts. :yikes:

Marriage 24 Dec 1851
James X NEWTON, aged Fa, Bachelor of Cholesbury, Labourer son of David Newton, Labourer
Lucy X BROWN, aged Fa, Spinster of Cholesbury, Straw Plaiter
Witnesses Joseph X Wright Hannah X Bowdy

Baptism 7 May 1854 Sophia child of James & Lucy NEWTON of Cholesbury, Labourer.
Baptism 21 Sep 1857 David son of James & Lucy NEWTON of Cholesbury, Labourer
Burial 19 Aug 1864 David NEWTON aged 7 of Cholesbury

Baptism 24 Aug 1873 Lucy Maud child of Sophia NEWTON of Cholesbury, Straw Plaiter, illegitimate.

Burial 25 Mar 1858 Lucy NEWTON aged 27 of Cholesbury
Burial 17 Jan 1894 James NEWTON aged 70 of Choulesbury

Marriage 22 Jul 1874 by Licence
James X NEWTON, aged Fa, Widower of Cholesbury, Timber Dealer son of David Newton, Labourer
Elizabeth SAVILLE, aged Fa, Widow of Wigginton daughter of Thomas Bond, Farm Bailiff
Witnesses Enoch Braund, Christeen Brown.

Marriage 1 Jan 1842
David X KING, aged Fa, Bachelor of Buckland, Labourer son of William King, Labourer
Charlotte X NEWTON, aged Fa, Spinster of Cholesbury, Labourer daughter of David Newton, Labourer
Witnesses James King Mary X King.

stepives
08-03-2017, 4:10 PM
From BuckFHS. Great Missenden Transcripts CD.

Marriage 16 Oct 1770 by Banns
John X NEWTON, Bachelor of Lee
Keziah HAWKES, Spinster of Lee
Witnesses - William Darvall & Thos Fassnidge.

Marriage 30 Apr 1778 by Banns
John X NEWTON, Widower of of this parish
Elizabeth X PARSONS, Spinster of of this parish
Witnesses - Thos Newman & Jno Fassnidge.

England select Marriages.
William Newton
Marriage Date: 31 Jul 1775
Marriage Place: Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England
Spouse: Rebecca Parratt
FHL Film Number: 1999163
Reference ID: Item 1.

There does not appear to be any baptisms to either of these couples in Great Missenden.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These Great Missenden banns apply to a previous post for the marriage of David Newton & Hannah Newton.
Banns 16 Jan 1859
David NEWTON, Bachelor of Wendover
Hannah NEWTON, Spinster of of this parish.

almach
08-03-2017, 4:44 PM
Bucks Herald 14 November 1835

Inquisition taken.

On the 7th instant at Lee Gate, in the parish of Wendover, on the body of David Newton. On Thursday, the 5th instant, in consequence of the deceased not returning home from work at the usual time, his wife requested a man of the name of Freeman Philby, to go in search of him, for she was afraid he had fell out of a tree whilst getting dead wood. Witness then went in search of the deceased but did not succeed in finding him that night; on renewing his search the following morning, he found him in a wood belonging to a Mr Bargis, under an oak tree, lying on his face, with his head beat into the ground; one hand underneath him, and the other straight out. On examination of the body, a very extensive fracture of the scull, besides other severe contusions, was found; his face appeared as if struck in several places with the fist. These appearances made the jury anxious to view the spot, which they did, and being quite satisfied of the deceased having fallen from the tree, returned their verdict accordingly.

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 1:27 AM
as far as the Trafalgar man goes, this researcher seems to agree with a parentage of William & Rebecca

http://www.cholesbury.com/pdf/battle-of-trafalgar.pdf

.......... but, as has been said, we mustn't slavishly copy other's ideas (and it may be the wrong man anyway)

So now I am ever so confused...I was following this until they said he married Phyllis. I am having trouble following everyone's comments...though am so grateful for all of the research. Do we think this Trafalgar David is the one who married Mary Wooten?

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 1:27 AM
And I see the Cholesbury article also says Phillis died in 1852 which we know to be untrue, because she's still kicking in subsequent census records if I remember correctly??

stepives
10-03-2017, 1:32 AM
And I see the Cholesbury article also says Phillis died in 1852 which we know to be untrue, because she's still kicking in subsequent census records if I remember correctly??

I wonder who they buried then.

Burial 5 Aug 1852 Phillis NEWTON aged 74 of Cholesbury.

stepives
10-03-2017, 2:05 AM
Phillis Newton
Year: 1852
Quarter: - Jul-Aug-Sep
Regi. dist. Aylesbury
County: Buckinghamshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 263

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 2:09 AM
Stepives now it's coming together.

So it looks like my David m. Mary Wooten and Pheobe Chandler and died in 1835. Pheobe died in 1840. His parents were Hannah and Davey Newton, and it looks like Davey Sr. was actually the brother of the William Newton who m. Rebecca Parratt, which could explain the common names. (Mother of Davey and William was probably Mary Davey and father John Newton, both from Lee)?

I think it's coming together now...

stepives
10-03-2017, 1:59 PM
Yes, I think that is the case. I did wonder why there was a Davey & a David Newton. I think it was to avoid confusion in the family.
But if they reverted to each using either name, that's where it gets a bit muddled up. And adding to that, there are the multiple marriages, and the bobbing about between The Lee, Wendover and other parishes.

I have first hand knowledge about my relatives doing exactly that, in the same parishes, including Great Missenden. I does help if you can look at a map to see there locations to each other.

I would write this all up in pencil, before you add them to your tree.:svengo:

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 2:50 PM
Yes, I think that is the case. I did wonder why there was a Davey & a David Newton. I think it was to avoid confusion in the family.
But if they reverted to each using either name, that's where it gets a bit muddled up. And adding to that, there are the multiple marriages, and the bobbing about between The Lee, Wendover and other parishes.

I have first hand knowledge about my relatives doing exactly that, in the same parishes, including Great Missenden. I does help if you can look at a map to see there locations to each other.

I would write this all up in pencil, before you add them to your tree.:svengo:

Thank you so much, Steve, for all of your help!

I also had William Chandler, Louisa's husband, wrong. I had his parents incorrect. In census records he is born circa 1821 and died in 1897. Your marriage data suggests his father was a William Chandler. Census records give his birth in Wendover or Buckland. Do you happen to see him in your Buckinghamshire baptism records? Would be so grateful for any assistance.

Thank you again - to all!

stepives
10-03-2017, 3:11 PM
It seems in the census from 1851 to 1891, his p.o.b is given as Buckland, Wendover & Aston Clinton. 1819 to 1822 as year of birth.

I will have a look in all those Parishes to see if which one it might be. It may take longer than 15 minutes, so I will have to make another post, if that is the case.

Bear with me. ;)

stepives
10-03-2017, 4:55 PM
After looking in Buckland, Wendover, Aston Clinton, The Lee, Great Missenden.......my thoughts reverted back to Cholesey PR's................

7 Apr 1822 - William, born 24 Jan illegitimate son of Phebe CHANDLER of Buckland Lane, Plaiter.

1841 census.

William Chandler
abt 1826
Born: Buckinghamshire.
Civil Parish - Wendover
Hundred -Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
Address - Levan Lane. ?? (Lee Common district)
Reg. district: Wycombe
Sub-reg distr. Wendover

Piece - 43
Book - 4
Folio: 5
Page - 4

William Chandler 50
Phebe Chandler 40
Mary Chandler 20
William Chandler 15
David Chandler 12
Thomas Chandler 6

Baptism - 3 Jul 1791 William son of James & Massey CHANDLER of Buckland
Baptism - 1 Jul 1798. David son of James & Massey CHANDLER of the parish of Buckland
Baptism - 3 May 1801. Phebe daughter of James & Massey CHANDLER.

Buckland Marriage - 1 Dec 1783. by Banns
James X CHANDLER otp
Mercy X BRACKLEY otp
Witnesses - John Cooper, Francis(x)Bateman

Burial - 2 Sep 1828. James CHANDLER aged 68 of Buckland Lane, a married man.

Not sure where Mercy Chandler(nee.Brackley) is buried.?

almach
10-03-2017, 5:26 PM
Hi Steve,

You've done a sterling job for Hilary. I'm never failed to be amazed by how much help and time you and others' give freely to their fellow members :) Fantastic research.

stepives
10-03-2017, 5:34 PM
Sorry, I should have said this burial was in Cholesey, as previous my post.. #24.

All records from BucksFHS Transcript CD's where places are mentioned.

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Sorry, I should have said this burial was in Cholesey, as previous my post.. #24.

All records from BucksFHS Transcript CD's where places are mentioned.

Thank you so much, Steve!

hilarykellis
10-03-2017, 10:30 PM
So when William listed his father as William Chandler, was he likely just listing his uncle to save face?

stepives
11-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Or his grandfather......but yes. He'd pluck a name from his family, or the family member that brought him up, or lived with. I've seen this many times.

I've looked for burials for Mercy/Massey Chandler, to no avail. So perhaps a search from BucksFHS might be in order. She would have died after James Chandler(a married man), so from 1828 really. And possibly her name was MARY Chandler(nee.Brackley), which I never found in Cholesbury.

As for the demise or marriage of Phebe Chandler, I've no idea.

I did find this marriage BANN & baptisms....so a marriage at Buckland I think.

Banns -18 Sep 1763.
Joseph BRACKLEY otp
Jenny DAVIS of the parish of Buckland

1 Jan 1764. Mary daughter of Jos BRACKLEY. (Could this be Mercy/Massey). ??
16 Mar 1768. Fanny daughter of Jospeh BRACKLEY.
22 Apr 1770. David son of Joseph BRACKLEY.
26 Apr 1772. Charles son of Joseph BRACKLEY
23 Mar 1777 Hannah daughter of Joseph BRACKLEY.
24 Nov 1782 Job son of Joseph BRACKLEY.

It's not unusual just to have fathers name on a baptism, until there are or other Brackley children born in the parish.

Burial - 16 Nov 1784. Jane BRACKLEY
Burial - 27 May 1823. Joseph BRACKLEY aged 83 widower of Buckland Common.

Baptism - 18 Apr 1742. Joseph son of William & Rebecca BRACKLEY.

Burial - 7 Apr 1765. Rebekah BRACKLEY, buried in woollen.
Burial - 27 Feb 1778. William BRACKLEY, buried in woollen.

pwholt
11-03-2017, 4:58 PM
Might Mercy have remarried, in which case she would be under a different surname? 68 is not too old to become a bride again; my gran was 84! pwholt

Kai Chandler
16-11-2021, 6:13 PM
What an interesting post this is - David Newton is, I believe, my great (x3) grandfather so I can say hello to cousin Hilary!

When I saw the news article about the inquest (“Local Intelligence,” Bucks Herald (Buckinghamshire, England), 14 November 1835, p. 3, col. 4.; image copy, Findmypast.co.uk (https://
search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/: accessed 13 November 2021), British Newspapers.) I was reminded of the death of George Chandler who is, I believe, David's grandson and my great-grandfather. By coincidence, George also died after falling from a tree. Steve Ives kindly helped me track him down in July 2020 (https://www.
facebook.com/groups/1439323096168810/search/?q=george%20chandler).

George was born around 1848 and died in 1896 in Harlington Cottage Hospital, Staines, Middlesex on 17 Jun 1896. His death certificate states that the cause of death was a fractured spine from an accidental fall from a ladder.

INQUEST. —An inquest was held at the Cottage Hospital on Saturday last, on the body of George Chandler, aged 48, a cherry picker, of Low Bottom, Tring, Herts in the employ of Messrs. W. and H. Philp. market gardeners, Harlington. Deceased was picking cherries in Philp orchard on Monday. the 15th inst., and whilst attempting to pull a large bough to him the ladder on which he was standing tipped on one side, the bough broke, and Chandler fell to the ground. Ann Bladen, who was gathering fruit in Heyward's garden close by, heard something fall at 10.50 a.m., and at 11 a.m.she heard a groan. She then looked over the hedge, and saw deceased lying under the tree on the ground, resting on the broken bough. She ran and lifted him up, and called Mr. W. Philp, his employer, and Robert Levett, a workman. Dr. Donaldson, who was near at the time, was called, and ordered removal to the hospital, where he was examined by the doctor, who found he was suffering from a fractured spine and collar bone. He remained at the hospital till death, which took place at 7.45 p.m. on the 17th inst.—The doctor informed P.C. Rivett, 65 T.R. (the coroner's officer), who made the necessary preparations for the inquest. —P.C. Butler watched the case on behalf of the police.—After hearing the above evidence the following verdict was returned, Deceased died from fractured spine, the result of an accidental fall from a ladder."—The ladder and bough were inspected by the jury at the hospital.

“Harlington,” Middlesex and Buckinghamshire Advertiser, Uxbridge, Harrow and Watford Journal (Uxbridge, Middlesex, England), 27 June 1896, p. 5, col. 6.; image copy, Findmypast.co.uk (https://
search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/: accessed 16 November 2021), British Newspapers.

I'm going to be very careful next time I climb a tree!

Pam Downes
17-11-2021, 12:56 AM
Hello Kai,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

Unfortunately Hilary is no longer a member of the forum as shown by the word 'guest' under her name, so might not see your message.

Pam

Kai Chandler
17-11-2021, 2:06 PM
thanks Pam, I'll contact Hilary directly.