PDA

View Full Version : Read/Stringer Families Surrey

Tony Hills
06-10-2005, 3:26 AM
I have been given information of a John READ (B abt 1839 in Clapham Surrey) married Mary STRINGER (b abt 1843in Clapham Surrey). Their daughter Agnes Maria READ (b 1867 Stockwell Brixton) is my grandmother. I have information on my grandmother's sisters (all sisters appeared to have come to Australia and were at sometime in Charters Towers Queensland) My grandmother married William Hills in Chatrters Towers 1888.

Has anyone information on the Read and Stringer families from Surrey
Thankyou
Tony

Jane M
06-10-2005, 8:44 AM
Hi Tony,
With a common name such as, READ, you need to give us more information in order to find them on a census.
When & where did John Read marry Mary Stringer?
The names of Mary's sisters & DOB if poss.
When did Agnes go to Oz?
An occupation for John Read?
What were your sources for the information you gave us?

Likewise for the Stringer family,
Parents of Mary?

Armed with this information it might be easier to trace them in the census,

Jane

Tony Hills
08-10-2005, 3:24 PM
Jane

I am aware that I really need addresses but unfortunately I only have the following information on my Grandmother's sisters details. My grandmother is Agnes Maria Read b 1867. Sorry for the confusion.

Her sisters' details are
Louisa Read b 26/6/1857 - Holy Trinity Clapham (died in england)
Grace Ellen Euphemia Read b 24/4/1859 - Holy Trinity Clapham (married Thomas Bowden in 1879 in Charters Towers Qld
Louisa Mary Read b 4/5/1865 - Holy Trinity Clapham (married Archelaus Henry Pope in 1882 in Charters Towers Qld.

There was a brother Alfred Percy Read b 1862 - Holy Trinity Clapham.

John Read was a musician - organist. He remarried in 1867 after my grandmother was born and I believe this to be a Maria Fascutt
Hope this info is a starting point.
Regards
Tony

Jane M
08-10-2005, 9:02 PM
Tony, only managed to find the family on the 1861 census, couldn't find hide 'nor hair of them in 1871.

1861 census. RG/357/50/10. Lambeth Kennington First. At 35 Clay??? Road.

John Read 26 Gov. clerk born Metham, Cambridgeshire
Mary 25 ?????
Mary A 5 (d) born S. Australia
Louisa 3 (d) Clapham
Grace 1 (d) Clapham
Frederick J 2m (s) Kennington
Plus two female servants.

Jane

Tony Hills
09-10-2005, 2:07 PM
Jane

Thankyou for the info - at least I have a little more of the puzzle

Regards
Tony

Tony Hills
02-02-2006, 6:10 AM
Jane

They say patience is a vurtue

Found my John Read and Mary Elizabeth Stringer on a family tree listed on Worldconnect Rootsweb.
John Read was actually a gov. surveyor in Australia for a short time, was a Civil Servant in london and was a Professor of music. He was at 92 Dalyell Rd Lambeth in 1881 census with second wife Ada Ellen Woodward, so your findings in 1861 were correct.His first wife was Mary Elizabeth Stringer and they married in Adelaide Australia in 1854 before returning to England. That's why your findings had children in born in Australia and England.

My original dobs were wrong. Both John and Mary were born in 1835 in Stretham and London respectively.
Once again thank you for your effort. It made me look elsewhere and at different dates.
Regards Tony Hills

Jane M
02-02-2006, 4:09 PM
That's great Tony, Well done:)

Jane