PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations

Sue Mackay
04-10-2005, 5:00 PM
I am aware of inst./instant = this month and ult = last month, but what does it mean if a register says 'born on the 12th Curt.'?

Peter Goodey
04-10-2005, 5:16 PM
Same meaning as inst., ie the current month.

Sue Mackay
04-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks. Thought it must be but hadn't come across that one before.

flyer
07-01-2006, 3:23 PM
When reading a census what does Do Do,Do and S mean after a name .(always confused)

get2BJ
07-01-2006, 3:29 PM
Hi there,

Do = Ditto ie, the same, meaning the same as the line above. Dittos are quite often carried down the page for several lines.
S = single ie, not married

Hope this helps

Brenda

flyer
11-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks Brenda, Supprising simple after being told,I was begining to go quite bald from scratching my head.

Anna
22-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I have on a Census "Army Medical Corp. R.R."

What does the R.R. stand for?

canuck1
28-09-2007, 6:18 AM
what army? nation? this could stand for a number of things; also what branch of the armed forces? royal reserve; comes to mind but there are others

charlie7
24-10-2007, 11:18 PM
i think i'm learning to find my way around.in one of the posts i asked about it has written "edward anny 2 At nurse b bishops frome" in another it has " harriet anny 4 at nurse b bishops frome" my query is what is "at nurse" i have my own logical thinking on this but i don't want to sound too stupid if its the wrong assumption so i thought i would ask you experts then i could feel better if i have the right assumption.
thanks for the help.

v.wells
25-10-2007, 4:48 PM
Nursing child? But 4 seems a little old!

Neil Wilson
25-10-2007, 6:10 PM
I asked this question on a mailing list about 5 years ago, this is one answer

I always thought a nurse-child was a young child or baby who was "nursed" (breast-fed) by a person other than its mother. Some Victorian Ladies either couldn't or wouldn't breast feed their babies and so paid another woman to do this for her. These women would have just lost their own baby and still
have milk. It was quite common in the towns. Children were said to be "at nurse" until about 5 years old. Sometimes the nurse-mother would live in with the child's family, and sometimes the child would stay for periods with the nurse-mother.

Also see
http://victoria.tc.ca/~tgodwin//duncanweb/documents/nurse.html

For full Q & A's see my question at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/derbysgen/2002-08/1029221822 and the replying threads below that.

canuck1
26-10-2007, 12:52 AM
children to be "nursed" or fed mother's milk was not uncommon in some areas of europe and asia thru-out the ages. in france for example where water was limited and food sometimes scarce; the elder or lactating woman would be well fed so that she could provide nurishing "milk" to a child. from baby to up to 6 or 7 was not uncommon. this way 1 adult and 2 children could be fed with the same food and water/wine. think of it as a woman has 2 breasts = 2 children. a woman would not have to have lost her child to be a "nurse"

charlie7
26-10-2007, 4:28 PM
thats what I thought and also that 4 was a bit old,that was why i queried my own assumption. thanks for telling me
fiona

Perriss
15-11-2007, 8:24 AM
Hi there,

Do = Ditto ie, the same, meaning the same as the line above. Dittos are quite often carried down the page for several lines.
S = single ie, not married

Hope this helps

Brenda

I have also discovered that the ditto marks used in the early 1600s meant that there was nothing to put in that box rather than the way we use them today. Confusing but true!

Eileen Goodall