PDA

View Full Version : Catholic baptism record in Latin

26-12-2016, 2:41 AM
Hi, I'm not sure whether this is the best place to post this, or on the Catholic Records thread because of the terminology, so if someone thinks it belongs there, please move. This is the baptism record of Arthur William Hutchins in High Wycombe. I need help with the word inserted above the third line please, which looks as though it starts with "akh". Grateful for any help please.

Lesley (New Zealand)

https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/fe2d39c1-6a49-4cb8-8800-c9163f411520.jpg

davyr
26-12-2016, 7:53 AM
Is it possible the mystery word is the surname of the father, whose first names were also Arthur William, and that the baby took his mother's surname?

Allan F Sparrow
26-12-2016, 8:26 AM
It certainly looks as if the surnames of both parents were squeezed in after the rest had been written.
The name does look like Akh, possibly followed by urus or uris or mis: in any case, not recognisable as a normal British surname! However, the A of Akh is nothing like the A of Arthurus, so it probably is something else.
My eyes are too old...

christanel
26-12-2016, 8:40 AM
It certainly looks as if the surnames of both parents were squeezed in after the rest had been written.
The name does look like Akh, possibly followed by urus or uris or mis: in any case, not recognisable as a normal British surname! However, the A of Akh is nothing like the A of Arthurus, so it probably is something else.
My eyes are too old...

But it is the same as the a after the name of the priest(?) Jacobo Flint. apost..o an abbreviation of apostolo or variant?
I have absolutely no knowledge of Latin, I am just looking at it as a puzzle of letters

Christina

elsinore
26-12-2016, 9:07 AM
Could it be Arthur William AKHURST who died in Wycombe in 1907 aged 56?

Q3 Vol 3A Page 386

Peter

elsinore
26-12-2016, 9:22 AM
Lesley has an earlier thread with background to this enquiry.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/56099-Unregistered-Birth-1905-High-Wycombe?highlight=

Peter

elsinore
26-12-2016, 9:43 AM
Can't find a birth entry for Arthur William AKHURST in 1851 or thereabouts.

There is an Arthur William AKHURST born in Woolwich in 1869, which would make him contemporary with Maud, so I wonder if the age at death is incorrect.

Q1 Vol 1D Page 921

Peter

elsinore
26-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Coming back to a possible birth registration, I searched the GRO indices for an Arthur William AKHURST or HASTINGS or HUTCHINS born 1905, without success.

Searching freebmd for any Arthur William born in Wycombe during 1905 produces only one result, Arthur William SMITH. This is the same entry that Peter Goodey pointed out in the last post of the other thread.

Peter

elsinore
26-12-2016, 10:40 AM
However, searching the GRO for Arthur William SMITH born 1905 in Wycombe reveals the mother's maiden name as WEST!

Peter

thewideeyedowl
26-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Hi all

The entry translates as:

Born on 13 October 1905 and baptised on 30 June 1906, Arthur William Hutchins, son of Arthur William Akhurst and Maud Mary S?........ Hutchins (formerly Hone) not married, by me James Flint, Priest (or something like that). Godfather: Charles Brookfield Godmother: left blank.

From which I conclude that baby Arthur was born out of wedlock, but his mother had had two surnames in her life - Hutchins and Hone. One would have been her maiden name. The baby had only one godparent.

'conjugum' is the term used for 'married' (yoked together!) but here it has been crossed out. So this couple weren't married.

Might the names/situation lead to some interesting new research between now and the New Year?

Happy Boxing Day to everyone.

Owl

Mona
26-12-2016, 12:43 PM
... Maud Mary S?........ Hutchins (formerly Hone)
This looks like her:

HONE, Maude Mary Hastings, June qtr 1871, Oxford, Vol 3A, page 645

26-12-2016, 8:58 PM
Oh my! While I've been asleep here in NZ all you marvellous people have come up with some very exciting leads! Thank you! Maude Mary Hastings Hone is my grandmother (big gap in generations) and I am trying to solve the mystery of Arthur William's birth for my half-cousin in Gloucestershire, who is his son. We hit a brick wall, but our Christmas phone call has got me fired up again and I remembered I had not posted this particular document in the forum. I will follow these leads. Thanks again! Lesley

11-02-2017, 11:38 PM
I want to thank you all for your help. I have found an Arthur William Akhurst, born in Australia in the right year, and working as an actor in England. Researching his life reveals, unhappily, a pretty unreliable person. He is a good match for the Arthur Akhurst who died in High Wycombe in 1907, so very strong circumstantial evidence but no way so far of proving a connection between him and my grandmother. I just wanted to thank you all very much for your interest and assistance.

Lesley