PDA

View Full Version : Number keys not working.

Fulhamster
02-10-2005, 5:47 PM
Dear Each,
For some reason the number keys {and therefore some punctuation keys} seem to have stopped functioning. Those to the right of the main keyboard are still working. Any ideas for a computer 'numpty' would be most appreciated {exclamation mark};-}

Neil Wilson
02-10-2005, 8:48 PM
There are a number of reasons keys stop working, age (that is 1 day over the guarantee period), coffee, dirt etc.

2 solutions,
turn the keyboard upside down and shake it to see how much dirt falls out
or
buy a new keyboard.
Apart from this I can not think of any other reasons way the keys stop working.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a key board that can spell? I can never find a spell checker on here.:confused:

Cheers

Russell Saunders
02-10-2005, 9:33 PM
Hello Fulham,

it would be unusual for all the keys to go at once and for the others still to work.

Have you check the plug into the back of the PC and rebooted.
Made any changes?

Russell

Fulhamster
03-10-2005, 2:13 PM
Hiya Chaps!
Thanks very much for the responses. It is a brand new (1 week) keyboard so age and dirt were out. I don't allow drinks on the work area. I checked the connections and rebooted - nothing. I have now resorted to the age old 'fix' - I thumped it! As you can see from the first line of this message numbers and punctuation are now working!
Many thanks once again for your input.
PS - I would not have tried this method had I not purchased two keyboards, one for 'spare'!

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-10-2005, 4:36 PM
I bought a new keyboard last week from the local PC shop ...... it was a fiver so not badly priced! When I first started out, I had a very expensive one but it only lasted twelve months, as the lettering wore off the keys. I must have sweaty fingers! :D

Someone gave me a tip which works: Paint the keys with clear nail polish, (I'm sure your wife will buy it for you from the shops) ...... this works a treat and prolongs the life of the lettering.

BTW ..... I buy mouses?/mice in twos, so that I always have a spare. ;)

Fulhamster
03-10-2005, 9:52 PM
I bought a new keyboard last week from the local PC shop ...... it was a fiver so not badly priced! When I first started out, I had a very expensive one but it only lasted twelve months, as the lettering wore off the keys. I must have sweaty fingers! :D

Someone gave me a tip which works: Paint the keys with clear nail polish, (I'm sure your wife will buy it for you from the shops) ...... this works a treat and prolongs the life of the lettering.

BTW ..... I buy mouses?/mice in twos, so that I always have a spare. ;)
Hiya Diane!
I have just had a word with the girl explaining what the nailpolish would be for. "Oh what a shame!" says she, " I haven't any clear stuff but I have got 'Pink Pearl', .... that's quite light."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll use me own.

Guy Etchells
03-10-2005, 9:54 PM
The advantage of being a two fingered typist is I never actually hit the keys where the letters are and so the lettering never wears out. ;)
As for a mouse wouldn't have them in the house, tracker-balls are far more convenient.
Cheers
Guy

Chasing Caseys
03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
One tip for keyboards ........For no apparent reason my pc started to make a horrible screaching noise :eek: panic set in, so i got straight on the phone to pcworld helpline, they told me to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in - problem solved. I bought a great looking new slimline keyboard and ended up having to have physiotherapy as i was one step away from permanent nerve damage ! As for the mouse, i treated myself to a cordless one but have got through so many batteries that ive spent more on them than the mouse............... im going back basics :rolleyes:

I wish id thought of the nail varnish trick as ive got no t,r,n and only half an m on mine now !

Mark
03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
If it's one week old, take it back and get another new one.

Also if you've used the keyboard long enough for the keycap lettering to wear off, you ought to know what the keys are by now.

Even better than trackballs are Wacom tablets (IMHO).

Mark

Chasing Caseys
03-10-2005, 11:10 PM
If it's one week old, take it back and get another new one.
Also if you've used the keyboard long enough for the keycap lettering to wear off, you ought to know what the keys are by now.

Its more than a week old but probably didnt expect to get as much use as its got ! and i did my Pitmans Typing at school and qwerto ? so no need to look at the keys when typing :D

Mark
04-10-2005, 7:16 AM
Hiya Chaps!
Thanks very much for the responses. It is a brand new (1 week) keyboard so age and dirt were out. I don't allow drinks on the work area. I checked the connections and rebooted - nothing. I have now resorted to the age old 'fix' - I thumped it! As you can see from the first line of this message numbers and punctuation are now working!

Its more than a week old but probably didnt expect to get as much use as its got ! and i did my Pitmans Typing at school and qwerto ? so no need to look at the keys when typing :D

Sorry, I read it as "It is a brand new (1 week) keyboard ..."

Mark

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-10-2005, 9:05 AM
Hi Reg ........ Well, you would have had a very 'feminine looking keyboard' wouldn't you? Mind you, I don't blame you for not buying the pink stuff, as I can't stand the colour myself!

Hi Guy ...... Tracker balls. I'm a bit of a computer numpty, so I don't really know what this is/are. If it's something which you have to use your index finger on, then it wouldn't be any good for me I'm afraid. On my mouse, I always have to use the click bit, as it's too painful for me to 'roll' the little wheel in the centre.

Hi Tracey ...... When you buy a new keyboard, try to remember the nail varnish trick as it does help to prolong the life of the letters. At first, I covered the missing letters with 'sticky' paper and wrote the letters on, but I ended up with black fingers!

Hi Mark ...... You're joking! Unlike Tracey, I wasn't trained in typing, as I was a book-keeper. I'm very pleased with myself over the last four years, as I have progressed to using two fingers now (the middle one of each hand) and I have built up quite a speed! However, I still have to look at the keys ....... to me it's impossible not to, so I think that typists and piano players are very clever.

Chasing Caseys
04-10-2005, 9:31 AM
Morning Diane

Although i did Pitmans at school i became a hairdresser so it was of no use at all ! But since having a pc it slowly came back to me. Last year a pc magazine had Typing Tutor software free with it and after a few hours spent on that i was typing again without looking :)
Im glad you asked about tracker balls that one lost me too :confused: and i suppose re nail varnish and missing digits - could always paint them on with varnish then cover them in top coat ?

Geoffers
04-10-2005, 2:47 PM
Although i did Pitmans at school i became a hairdresser so it was of no use at all
Innovative head-massage?

Geoffers

Chasing Caseys
04-10-2005, 3:07 PM
Probably practiced my asdf jkl; on the crown, nape /., \zxv b then back up to qwerty without even knowing :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-10-2005, 4:18 PM
i suppose re nail varnish and missing digits - could always paint them on with varnish then cover them in top coat ?

Hey Tracey ..... I never thought of that! That would prolong the life of a keyboard even more! Mind you, at a fiver every twelve months, it's not worth me trying to keep a steady hand, painting the new letters on ....... particularly if I've had a glass (or two) of wine! :D

Chasing Caseys
04-10-2005, 4:22 PM
Especially if that fiver could be put towards better use |cheers| :D

AnnB
04-10-2005, 4:53 PM
I'll drink to that |cheers| And I'm only a two (sometimes three) fingered typist - that depends on the number of glasses I've downed :D We usually only spend a fiver or so on a keyboard, but the last one we bought cost about £20, mainly because of the disappearing letter syndrome. It seems to be holding up quite well, but it isn't as spread out as out old ones and I keep hitting the wrong keys......well that's my ecxues (or could it be the wuni ;) )

Best wishes
Ann

Guy Etchells
04-10-2005, 6:08 PM
Hi Guy ...... Tracker balls. I'm a bit of a computer numpty, so I don't really know what this is/are. If it's something which you have to use your index finger on, then it wouldn't be any good for me I'm afraid. On my mouse, I always have to use the click bit, as it's too painful for me to 'roll' the little wheel in the centre.

With my one the ball is controlled by the thumb and the left and right buttons with the fingers (like a mouse) there is a centre wheel but there is no need to use that.

The do save a lot of desk space as there is no need to move them as one does with a mouse.
Cheers
Guy

Diane Grant-Salmon
05-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info Guy, I've just Googled Tracker Balls, (suppose I should have done that in the first place!) and found a picture of one. As they say, they do look like an upside down mouse!

It's worth thinking about anyway. ;)

clock21
05-11-2005, 2:00 PM
it seems to be something wrong from inside
call a technician and get it checked
what you can do is get the keyboard repaired or get a new one
they are available at very reasonable prices now