PDA

View Full Version : put in a foundling hospital

searcher
02-10-2005, 4:42 PM
with ref to missing henry moseley in 1871 and 1861 census,i had an email from my brother about henry parentage and i am hoping someone somewhere has there thinking cap on for this.
i found it extremly interesting but i would like to know how do i proceed

Henry Mosley's actual birth place is unknown. His mother took him to a foundling hospital in London when he was born where she gave him up as an orphan. His mother Sarah Blanch is originally from Cheltenham. According to the records of the foundling hospital she had not named him and it was the hospital that gave him his name. This line is a dead end and although Sarah put in writing who the father was there is room for doubt. So we dont actually know who the father is. The claim is that it was a groom at the place where Sarah worked as a maid but there is room for speculation that the father was the owner of the manor. I have someone who has been tracing this for several years now (at least 10 years to my knowledge)and she is no closer to knowing the truth at all.
As far as we are concerned the paternal line is unknown and is likely to remain so. As far as the mother's line is concerned all we know at the moment is that her name is Sarah Blanch. We believe that she married later but to whom we dont know and we have no idea where she went when she left Cheltenham before giving birth to Henry. So London is all we know about his birthplace. His date of birth according to the foundling hospital is 5 Feb 1832.

any ideas edwin