PDA

View Full Version : John Robert URRY (help with marriage/children)

djsides
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Searching for information on John Robert Urry.

What I know:
Born 16 march 1806 Whippingham, IOW, Hampshire.
Died arround March 1882 with the death registered in Greenwich.
Have located him in the 1871 census, living in Blackheath Hill, Greenwich, but can't find him in the 1861 or 1881 census. Also recorded in Blackheath Hill in 1855 as a baker.

Had a son Robert URRY born about 1834 in Westminster/Woolwich (from 1871/81 census), who died 1886. (John Robert is given as Roberts father on his marriage cert). Have not been able to locate Robert in 1861 either.

Ideally looking for the marriage of John Robert, at a guess, arround 1830 ish, and any other children he may have had.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Regards, Dave

Trish
01-10-2005, 2:01 PM
Dave,

Here's John Robert Urry in the 1861 census:

Reference:RG9/400 Folio 92 Page 28
Address: 62 BlkHeath Hill, Greenwich
John Robt URRY Head 55 Baker born Isle of Wight
A G URRY Wife 53 born London
J D URRY Son 21 Pawnbroker born Kent Greenwich
Hy BREAL [or BREAT] Baker born Somerset
Mary CAVANGH 16 Servant born London

No wonder you couldn't find John Robert URRY in 1861. On Ancestry, he is transcribed as John Rd MARY and his wife as A G MARY. His son is down as J D VERY.

HTH,
Trish

uksearch
01-10-2005, 2:20 PM
SNIP
No wonder you couldn't find John Robert URRY in 1861. On Ancestry.co.uk, he is transcribed as John Rd MARY and his wife as A G MARY. His son is down as J D VERY.

HTH,
Trish
That was a brilliant spot:D I thought that was a very imaginative piece of transcribing,even though it wasn't the best of hands:eek: .

UK

Trish
01-10-2005, 2:51 PM
Why thank you, UK! Yes, the transcriber deserves big points for creativity -- even better than whomever turned Robert URRY into Robert HERY:

1861 Census
Reference: RG9/392 Folio 96 Page 26
Address: 1 ?Montegue Ter, Deptford St. Paul, Surrey
Robert URRY Head 27 Master Baker Employing 5 men born Middlesex Westminster
Mary Esther URRY Wife 23 born Surrey Bermondsey
Emily Esther URRY Dau 2 born Surrey Hakham
Robert Alfred URRY Son 1 born Surrey Hakham
Arch Edward URRY Cousin [Unmarried] 19 Baker born Middlesex K???
Mary Ann GREGORY Servant 17 born Derbyshire ?Darter Dale
Sarah FURY Servant 17 born Surrey Croydon

Whew!
Trish

Trish
01-10-2005, 3:20 PM
Dave,

Maybe this is John Robert URRY in 1881?

Reference:
Address: Conduit Vale, Heath Bank House, Greenwich, London
Sidney WENBORN [or WENBORNE] Head 46 Builder born Kent Greenwich
Emma WENBORN Wife 43 born ditto
Edith A WENBORN Daur 18 Scholar born ditto
Henry Ho WENBORN Son 10 ditto born ditto
?Alfni E WENBORN Daur 8 ditto born Surrey Croydon
Ernest U [or W] WENBORN Son 6 ditto bron ditto
John B ANY [or ARRY] Father-in-law Widr 75 Retired Baker born Isle of Wight
Louisa J [or T] BARDON [or PARDON] Serv 19 General Servant born Kent Lu?

Although the father-in-law's last name does look like ANY or ARRY on the census image, I think he could be a possibility for your John Robert URRY.... If you look up Sidney and Emma in 1861, they are already married -- which fits with Emma, as a potential daughter of John, but not showing up in his household.

[BTW, If you look for Sidney and Emma in 1871, you'll find them transcribed as WENBON.]

Trish

Trish
01-10-2005, 3:33 PM
Dave,

I just noticed on the same 1861 census image for the WENBORNs, an Elizabeth URRY, visiting a family named CROUCHER. The WENBORNs live at 12 Goss Place and Elizabeth is visiting at 13 Goss Place. Elizabeth is a widow, 79 years old. Place of birth is "Dont know where..."

HTH, for what it's worth!

Trish

djsides
01-10-2005, 5:53 PM
I am very grateful to you all for the info and sources. What a great community!

To me, this now raises the question of how you found them when the transcribed names bear no relation to the truth?
I'm obviously missing something here.

If someone has any tips they would be willing to pass-on, I would appreciate it, as there are still other people I have yet been unable to find.

Dave

colin rutter
01-10-2005, 8:37 PM
Dave: Hunt under "Christian" names alone, within as narrow a time frame and geographical area as possible. You may get a lot of responses, but if you see something that might be a misspelling of a surname in the list of responses, you might in fact have a hit.
I've been searching the name Rutter, and by this means have successfully found some, indexed as Reuter, Butter, Ratter and Rotter. When you see the actual writing on the census pages it's easy to see how the writing could have been misunderstood by whomever was transcribing for computer purposes. Hope this helps
Colin

Trish
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Dave,

We can't just give away all our secrets! ;)

As Colin recommends, searching by given names with birthdates and places is a good way to find elusive people. I always try that first but it can be a lot of slog work when the given names are quite common ones.

I found your URRYs by first looking them up in the 1871 cenus where you said you had found them, noting the neighbours -- names, ages and occupations -- and then looking for the same neighbours in 1861.

If you're lucky, at least one household will be at the same address over more than one census. Finding the neighbours -- if they have remained at the same address -- allows you to find the street. Luckily, your John URRY was at the same address in 1861 as you found him in 1871.

Wildcard searches can also work. You still need to type in the first 3 letters of the name [for example, URR*]. Unfortunately, in the case of your URRY surname, a wildcard search wouldn't have located them.

Regards,
Trish

uksearch
02-10-2005, 2:11 PM
Dave,

We can't just give away all our secrets! ;)

As Colin recommends, searching by given names with birthdates and places is a good way to find elusive people. I always try that first but it can be a lot of slog work when the given names are quite common ones.
SNIP
IRegards,
Trish
I prefer to roll a dice (die) three or four times to give me a piece number...and then roll again for a folio number.

UK

djsides
03-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the pointers.
Dave