PDA

View Full Version : Janet Daniel Hockly born 1840

wimsey
18-08-2016, 7:08 AM
Hi

Janet Daniel Hockly - born 1840 Calcutta. Marries William Philip Collom in Calcutta 1858. "decree nisi" 25 July 1875. "final decree" 8 February 1876. Should she not return to Janet Hockly after a divorce ?

1881 census - still Janet Collom (ought to be aged 41 not 35 ?) with her last legitimate child and her two illegitimate children (+ her brother Septimus) - at Stoke Damarel, Devon.

1921 died as Janet D Collom in Essex ?? no idea where she was betweentimes

have I gone wrong somewhere ?

Sandyhall
18-08-2016, 8:38 AM
After divorce she still keeps her married name or call herself whatever she likes. I don't think there is any Law that says you have to change back to your maiden name.

someone will correct me I'm sure

wimsey
18-08-2016, 8:51 AM
oh I see. is that still the case? I'm ignorant on these matters. So if she had remarried it would be as Janet Collom. I hope she didn't call herself "whatever she likes" - that would make research very difficult.

Sandyhall
18-08-2016, 9:04 AM
Yes she would have been married as Janet Collom.

These days the youngsters hyphen both names ie Hockly - Collom.

Both my nieces have done this cause as they say "why should I change my name just cause I marry someone"

Sorry saying "whatever she likes" was a bit harsh of me. Bit early in the morning for me brain not in gear yet.

wimsey
18-08-2016, 9:16 AM
thanks.

I take it the census never distinguished between married and divorced. On that 1881 census she is Janet Collom "married" - "wife of merchant captain" - despite the divorce

on second thoughts are there various degrees of divorce - does it (or did it) take a few years to take effect ?

janbooth
18-08-2016, 9:56 AM
Here she is in the 1911 census of East Ham, Essex living at 9 Norfolk Road with daughter Edwina - Ancestry have mistranscribed her as Thomas:

Janet COLLOM Head 70 Widow No Profession Calcutta
Edwina do Daughter 30 Single No Profession Devonport

Details crossed out are that she has been married 50 years, had 12 children 5 of whom are still living.

Janet

wimsey
18-08-2016, 10:03 AM
many thanks for that. 12 children. Oh dear, that means I'm missing 5. But does confirm Essex death. Excellent.

Sandyhall
18-08-2016, 10:06 AM
I found 6 children 1 of these died

William James Collom
BIRTH 1862 • Calcutta, West Bengal, India
DEATH 22 FEBRUARY 1944 • Hong Kong, China

George Murray Collom
BIRTH 1865 • Calcutta, Bengal, India
DEATH MAR 1922 • Plymouth, Devon, England

Charles Hope Collom
BIRTH 9 SEP 1866 • Chr. Kidderpore Bengal India
DEATH 10 SEP 1866 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India

Richard Hockly Collom
BIRTH JANUARY 1870 • Mile End Old Town, London
DEATH 3 OCTOBER 1940

Hilda Mary Collom
BIRTH ABT 1873 • Devonport, Devon, England

Edwina Leonardo Melita Collom
BIRTH ABT 1875 • Devonport, Devon, England
DEATH 1 FEB 1947 • East Ham, Essex, England

Just found another
Janet Ruth Collom
BIRTH 09 OCT 1860 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India
DEATH Unknown

Pam Downes
18-08-2016, 10:15 AM
After divorce she still keeps her married name or call herself whatever she likes. I don't think there is any Law that says you have to change back to your maiden name.

someone will correct me I'm sure

oh I see. is that still the case? I'm ignorant on these matters. So if she had remarried it would be as Janet Collom. I hope she didn't call herself "whatever she likes" - that would make research very difficult.

What Sandyhall is referring to, is the fact that in the UK you can call yourself any name you like as long as it's not with intent to defraud. So I could say that from tomorrow I want to be called Minnie Whatnot (not going to though, too much hassle getting all the documents changed to that name! :biggrin:)

wimsey, there's almost hundreds of instances on BG alone where it's been proven (as much as possible) that our ancestors have changed their names. (As if it's not bad enough that even when they keep their 'known' name they lie about their ages and birthplaces on the census. :smile5:)

thanks.

I take it the census never distinguished between married and divorced. On that 1881 census she is Janet Collom "married" - "wife of merchant captain" - despite the divorce

on second thoughts are there various degrees of divorce - does it (or did it) take a few years to take effect ?
If Janet said she was married on the census technically she's probably guilty of lying, though she's probably only saying it to save face.
It's interesting that there are several other women whose husbands are not listed in the household and whose occupation such as 'sailor's wife' have been crossed through at some time by some official. Wonder if it was someone who knew the people involved and that there was no 'man about the house'.:smile5:

Pam

wimsey
18-08-2016, 10:47 AM
It's interesting that there are several other women whose husbands are not listed in the household and whose occupation such as 'sailor's wife' have been crossed through at some time by some official. Wonder if it was someone who knew the people involved and that there was no 'man about the house'.

I hadn't noticed that. I've always ignored those heavy diagonal crossings-out. Janet's husband was a merchant captain, so that had been true ...... once.

So all those other "sailor's wife" women are actually unmarried mothers - I guess one would expect a high incidence of that in ports.

wimsey
18-08-2016, 10:54 AM
I found 6 children 1 of these died

William James Collom

George Murray Collom
BIRTH 1865 • Calcutta, Bengal, India
DEATH MAR 1922 • Plymouth, Devon, England

Charles Hope Collom
BIRTH 9 SEP 1866 • Chr. Kidderpore Bengal India
DEATH 10 SEP 1866 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India

Richard Hockly Collom
DEATH 3 OCTOBER 1940

Hilda Mary Collom
BIRTH ABT 1873 • Devonport, Devon, England

Just found another
Janet Ruth Collom
BIRTH 09 OCT 1860 • Kidderpore, Bengal, India
DEATH Unknown

thank you very much. yes, these are the 7 I have

wimsey
18-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Should she not return to Janet Hockly after a divorce ?

sorry, I really meant - would she not

Pam Downes
18-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I hadn't noticed that. I've always ignored those heavy diagonal crossings-out. Janet's husband was a merchant captain, so that had been true ...... once.

So all those other "sailor's wife" women are actually unmarried mothers - I guess one would expect a high incidence of that in ports.

That's not what I said.
I said it was interesting that the occupations of the women in households where there was no male head of house was listed had been crossed through. I did then preface my next sentence with 'wonder', not 'this means'. :smile5:

Pam

wimsey
18-08-2016, 11:27 AM
apologies. So an alternative interpretation might be what ?

Pam Downes
18-08-2016, 11:42 AM
As there is no written reason given beside the crossing through, there is no definitive 'alternative interpretation'. We can only guess. It could just be that one of the census officials didn't think that putting their husband's occupation in front of 'wife' was a correct occupation.

Pam

wimsey
18-08-2016, 12:01 PM
wimsey, there's almost hundreds of instances on BG alone where it's been proven (as much as possible) that our ancestors have changed their names.

excellent. This gives me a perfect excuse to ignore all the holes in my family tree where people seem to have disappeared. I shall just insert 'probably changed name'.

wimsey
18-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Richard Hockly Collom
DEATH 3 OCTOBER 1940

actually I think this death date applies to his son who inconveniently shared the same name, born 1907. He died when Hatfield Aerodrome was bombed

Lesley Robertson
18-08-2016, 1:33 PM
You can't generalise. That's like saying that all dressmakers were "open fruit pies" just because it's known that "dressmaker" was sometimes a euphemism. If they all were - who made the clothes?

A lot of those sailor's wives were exactly that - check the next census and their husband was possibly home. I have always thought that the crossing out was because "xxx's wife" (you get other husband's occupations - eg ag lab's, doctor's, plowman's from my own OPS) was not on the census approved list of occupations. Some of them probably weren't of course.

wimsey
18-08-2016, 3:36 PM
I think I have this notion that women were such downtrodden, second class citizens that they existed only as adjuncts to their husbands. The death certificate of one of my great-grandmothers describes her as 'widow of retired medical practitioner'.

Back on the subject of divorce I think I also have this idea that women wanted to get rid of all reminders of their husbands after a divorce, including his surname.

christanel
18-08-2016, 8:14 PM
thanks.

A reason to keep the name of her ex husband - Prestige - maybe she thought it gave her benefits to be known by the name of her ex. and who was going to dispute her married status.
Reverting back to her maiden name would also leave her children with a different surname to hers and though we think nothing of that these days back then it would be a situation for discussion amongst those who had not known her when married.

Christina

christanel
18-08-2016, 8:43 PM
[QUOTE=wimsey;633097]actually I think this death date applies to his son who inconveniently shared the same name, born 1907. He died when Hatfield Aerodrome was bombed

https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/8530e03a-566f-4190-9f17-084c1158e41b.jpg

Son of Mrs. Bowyer and the late R H Collom. .
marriage Emily J Collom to William I Bowyer Sept 1/4 1927.

Christina

wimsey
18-08-2016, 9:11 PM
thank you. I don't seem to have a death date for RH Collom senior. I assume Emily is the Emily J Bowyer who died Kensington 1959. I should add these are not direct relations of mine.[V M was Violet May, nee Wood] footnote - the Hatfield bombing killed 21 and injured 70

geneius
18-08-2016, 9:35 PM
In case you haven't found

Divorce Court File: 3228. Appellant: William Philip Collom ... - Discovery

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7976465

Reference: J 77/145/3228. Description: Divorce Court File: 3228. Appellant: William Philip Collom. Respondent: Janet Daniel Collom. Type: Husband's petition ...

wimsey
18-08-2016, 9:43 PM
thank you very much. Yes I have seen that. I'm afraid I find divorce papers rather enthralling - the details of what happened where and with whom etc.

wimsey
19-08-2016, 4:18 AM
Janet had ten siblings and six of those fall into my disappeared category. The big problem I had with this family is the spelling of Hockly, sometimes it is Hockley. The slippery six are :-

- George Cleghorn Hockly born Calcutta 1845

- John Davis Hockly born Calcutta 1847

- James Hambly Hockly born Calcutta 1849, married Agnes Amelia Austin in Calcutta 1871. I think she died the following year. Then James may or may not have married Charlotte Ingold in Australia in 1891

- Richard Shaw Hockly born Kidderpore 1851

- Septimus Williamson Hockly born Kidderpore 1853. On the 1881 census in Stoke Damarel with sister Janet. Possibly the "SWH" 'lunatic' naval pensioner on the 1911 census at Barming, Maidstone, Kent ???

- Clarissa Ann Ruth Hockly born Kidderpore 1856

I guess if the males were naval types that makes it harder. Of course some of the six may have died in India as babies though I can't find records for them. They were all baptised in India.

the remaining four siblings I've dealt with

Thomas Ross Hockly 1841-1910
William Henry Hockly 1843-1866
Emma Eliza Hockly 1846-1889
Charles Twynam Hockly 1854-1919

the parents of all eleven (including Janet) were Thomas Henry Hockly (1817-1881) and Janet, nee Cleghorn (1819-1858). She died in Calcutta. He remarried in 1859 to Helen Forbes Leith. Thomas and Helen both died in London, she in 1885.

wimsey
19-08-2016, 5:01 AM

I decided the unknown father of illegitimate Edwina must have been Italian or Spanish !

wimsey
19-08-2016, 5:11 AM
William James Collom

apparently his gravestone at Happy Valley also includes the name Ruby Collom 1899-1979. I never quite worked out who she was.

christanel
19-08-2016, 5:14 AM
Janet had ten siblings and six of those fall into my disappeared category. The big problem I had with this family is the spelling of Hockly, sometimes it is Hockley. The slippery six are :-

- George Cleghorn Hockly born Calcutta 1845

- John Davis Hockly born Calcutta 1847

- James Hambly Hockly born Calcutta 1849, married Agnes Amelia Austin in Calcutta 1871. I think she died the following year. Then James may or may not have married Charlotte Ingold in Australia in 1891

- Richard Shaw Hockly born Kidderpore 1851

- Septimus Williamson Hockly born Kidderpore 1853. On the 1881 census in Stoke Damarel with sister Janet. Possibly the "SWH" 'lunatic' naval pensioner on the 1911 census at Barming, Maidstone, Kent ???

- Clarissa Ann Ruth Hockly born Kidderpore 1856

I guess if the males were naval types that makes it harder. Of course some of the six may have died in India as babies though I can't find records for them. They were all baptised in India.

the remaining four siblings I've dealt with

Thomas Ross Hockly 1841-1910
William Henry Hockly 1843-1866
Emma Eliza Hockly 1846-1889
Charles Twynam Hockly 1854-1919

The Charlotte Ingold who married a James H Hockley could be the one in the 1913 Electoral roll with her husband James Hambour Hockley at Worrigeree Street Nowra. There is also a Charlotte Hockley listed, on her own, for the same year at Ballina. The two places are about 913 klm apart
Two deaths for two different Charlotte Hockleys. One in 1925 at Canterbury district NSW parents William and Catherine. The other in 1929 in the Nowra district parents John and Mary L.
There is also a a report of a James Hockley losing, whilst in Sydney in August.1888 his Waltham watch with chain and accessories, 4 cheques made out to him and his cheque book.
Also a warrant out for a James H Hockley's alias Jemmy the Cook in 1899. So 2 James Hockleys with the middle initial H?
Christina

wimsey
19-08-2016, 5:24 AM
thank you very much for all of that christanel

wimsey
19-08-2016, 6:41 AM
That's like saying that all dressmakers were "open fruit pies" just because it's known that "dressmaker" was sometimes a euphemism.

I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to google it. :blush:

geneius
19-08-2016, 3:03 PM
George Cleghorn Hockly born Calcutta 1845
George Cleghorn Hockly
Birth Date: 5 Feb 1845
Baptism Date: 27 Jul 1845
Baptism Age: 0
Baptism Place: Calcutta, Bengal, India
Father: Thomas Henry Hockly
Mother: Janet
Reference ID: v 68 p 6
FHL Film Number: 498983

John Davis Hockly born Calcutta 1847

Name:
John Davis Hockly
Birth Date: 22 Nov 1847
Birth Place: Chr. Calcutta, Bengal, India
Baptism Date: 4 Jul 1848
Baptism Place: Calcutta, Bengal, India
Reference ID:v 74 p 35
FHL Film Number: 498986

James Hambly Hockly
Birth Date: 12 Dec 1849
Birth Place: Chr Calcutta Bengal India
Baptism Date: 11 Aug 1850
Baptism Place: Agra, Bengal, India
FHL Film Number: 498988

James Hambly Hockley
Birth Date: 1850
Marriage Date: 11 Apr 1871
Marriage Place: Calcutta, Bengal, India
Father: Thomas Henry Hockley
Spouse: Agnes Amelia Austin
Marriage details in full on FMP

Transcript details of marriage to Charlotte Ingold on FMP

Message board link http://boards.ancestry.com.au/surnames.hockley/34/mb.ashx

geneius
19-08-2016, 3:17 PM
Got so far thro' this when I found a marriage 24 Sept 1859 of Thomas Henry HOCKLY widower to (H)ellen Forbes LEITH. He is desc as Superintendent Ganges Works NW a witness is Thomas HOCKLY

20 October 1860 bp Henry Forbes Leith HOCKLEY died Hampstead 1937
This guy appears to be flexiable about his year of birth however you will find him 1881 /1891 / 1901 & in the London Electoral lists

Sandyhall
19-08-2016, 3:21 PM
2 more to add to your list

Septimus Hockley
1854–
BIRTH ABT 1854 • Calcutta

Clarissa Ann Ruth Hockley
1840–
BIRTH 1840 • Calcutta, West Bengal, India

Sandyhall
19-08-2016, 3:23 PM
Ist wife
Name Janet Cleghorn
Spouse Thomas Henry Hockly
Marriage 6 Nov 1839 - Calcutta, Bengal, India

wimsey
19-08-2016, 3:52 PM
Apologies for delay, have been away from computer. I have decided I express myself incredibly badly on this forum. You are not telling me a great deal more than I already know - for which, huge apologies. However I wasn't aware of Henry Forbes Leith Hockly nor of the 1840 Clarissa, I seem to have an 1856 date for her. Thank you for your herculean efforts.

And thanks for the ancestry message board link, I should imagine that person has caught up since 2006.

geneius
19-08-2016, 8:33 PM
I have decided I express myself incredibly badly on this forum

As long as you get a result does it matter how you express yourself. Sometimes researching unfamiliar families you need to get to the bones to help start fleshing and dressing them.

Is this you ?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hockley/homepage.htm

Thomas Henry HOCKLY died 1881
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/24983/page/2977/data.pdf

wimsey
19-08-2016, 8:39 PM
Is this you ?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hockley/homepage.htm

no it isn't, but that looks very interesting, thank you very much

wimsey
19-08-2016, 8:57 PM
from your link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hockley/page68.htm

interesting, I suppose they are saying that AWRP Hockly was the son of William Henry Hockly, who in my tree I have dying 24 June 1866 which is six months before AWRPH was born. Perfectly feasible of course. William Henry died of cholera.

I wonder where "Pendarcene" came from.

on second thoughts I wonder if I have gone wrong with William Henry Hockly. When he married Elizabeth Anne Cleghorn I have him as tea planter but a mariner at death two years later. Perhaps there are two William Henry Hockly's.

wimsey
19-08-2016, 9:12 PM
I wonder where "Pendarcene" came from.

looks more like Pendarson on his marriage record

can't actually find a birth record for William Ashton Ross Pendarson Hockly

wimsey
19-08-2016, 9:32 PM
sorry, falling asleep, will pick this up tomorrow zzzzzzzzzzzz

geneius
19-08-2016, 10:55 PM
on second thoughts I wonder if I have gone wrong with William Henry Hockly. When he married Elizabeth Anne Cleghorn I have him as tea planter but a mariner at death two years later. Perhaps there are two William Henry Hockly's.

Check

William Henry s/o Thomas Henry & Janet HOCKLY b 11 Nov 1843 bp 17 Dec 1843

William Henry married Elizabeth CLEGHORN 7 Nov 1864

William Henry bu June 1866 dies from cholera

William Ashton on marriage 1894 is a mining engineer states father is William HOCKLY

Elizabeth Annie HOCKLY father John CLEGHORN widow aged 25 married Edward Berkekley GRAHAM 13 Oct 1871

Sandyhall
20-08-2016, 9:17 AM
I have decided I express myself incredibly badly on this forum. You are not telling me a great deal more than I already know - for which, huge apologies.

No your not. If we tell you things that you already know we are reinforcing your information for you,

wimsey
20-08-2016, 9:35 AM
isn't it annoying if you spend hours looking for something and the person knew it all along ...... but forgot to mention it !

!!!! aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh !!!

Sandyhall
20-08-2016, 10:22 AM
isn't it annoying if you spend hours looking for something and the person knew it all along ...... but forgot to mention it !

!!!! aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh !!!

For me no not really, I'm so chilled it just goes over my head. lol It gives me something to do as I get shouted at by daughter if I do anything, although I keep telling her I'm ok now, its 4 weeks on Monday since I had my op.

wimsey
20-08-2016, 10:49 AM
didn't know about your op - get well soon - speedy recovery

wimsey
20-08-2016, 11:20 AM
this thread has become rather long and I'm beginning to lose sight of what I was trying to find out - which is - what became of siblings

George Cleghorn Hockly born 1845
John Davis Hockly born 1847
James Hambly Hockly born 1849 (who we know married Agnes Amelia Austin)
Richard Shaw Hockly born 1851
Septimus Williamson Hockly born 1853
Clarissa Ann Ruth Hockly born 1856

or, in each case, Hockley

however I fully realise and appreciate that some things will never be found out if no record exists. It won't be the end of the world if I don't find out.

geneius
20-08-2016, 9:34 PM
I can find 11 children

Septimus is the 9th child and 7th son

HOCKLY Janet Daniel 1840 Marriage on familysearch

HOCKLY Thomas Ross 1842 Various see below

Hockly William Henry 1843 — 1843 British India Office births & baptisms Fort William, Bengal

Hockly George Cleghorn 1845 — 1845 British India Office births & baptisms Fort William, Bengal

Hockly Emma Eliza 1846 — 1846 British India Office births & baptisms Fort William, Bengal

Hockly John Davis 1847 — 1847 British India Office births & baptisms Calcutta, Bengal

Hockly James Hambly 1849 — 1849 British India Office births & baptisms Fort William, Bengal

Hockley Richard Shaw 1851 — 1851 British India Office births & baptisms Kidderpore, Bengal

Hockley Septimus Williamson 1853 — 1853 British India Office births & baptisms Kidderpore,St Stephen, Bengal

Hockley Clarison Ann Ruth 1856 — 1856 British India Office births & baptisms Kidderpore,St Stephen, Bengal

Hockley Henry Forbes Leith 1860 — 1860 British India Office births & baptisms Kidderpore,St Stephen, Bengal

Is this the witness to Thomas Henry HOCKLY 2nd marriage?

Thomas Ross HOCKLY
Name Thomas Ross Hockly
Spouse's Name Alice Fanny Townsend
Event Date 01 Mar 1863
Event Place Calcutta, Bengal, India
Father's Name Thomas Henry Hockly
Spouse's Father's Name Edward Townsend

The England, United Grand Lodge of England Freemason Membership Registers, 1751-1921
Name: Thomas Ross Hockley
Initiation Date: 13 Nov 1871
First Payment Year on Register: 1871
Year Range: 1863-1887
Profession: Mariner
Lodge: Marine Lodge
Lodge Location: Calcutta
Lodge Number: 232, 282
Folio Number: 206

Death
Thomas Ross HOCKLY
B 1842
Bu 19 October 1910 aged 68

christanel
20-08-2016, 9:47 PM
And James Hambly Hockly born 1849 (who we know married Agnes Amelia Austin)is the one most likely in Australia as James Hambour Hockley (see my posts) However I haven't found a death for him as yet.

31 August 1917 The Nowra Leader
https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/488189de-6c1c-43ea-adf7-9c2e3b4ae6a1.jpg

So this was in Nowra whichmatches the 1913 electoral roll of James Hambour Hockley at Worrigeree Street Nowra.
Also in 1909 James Hambly Hockey, occupation Carter was being proposed as a councillor for the Nowra Council

wimsey
21-08-2016, 5:03 AM
many many many thanks. yes everything in post # 47 concurs with what I know. As I said in post # 25 I feel I have, so to speak, "dealt with" Thomas Ross Hockly, William Henry Hockly, Emma Eliza Hockly and Charles Twynam Hockly (missing from your list). Janet Daniel Hockly, who was the original subject of this thread, I consider now also "dealt with".

Many thanks for the James Hambly Hockly information.

you (geneius) told me about Henry Forbes Leith Hockley in # 32 for which many thanks. I consider him now "dealt with"

your 'Clarison' I think is my Clarissa

I wasn't aware of Thomas Ross joining the Lodge, so many thanks for that

I can save you time in that I know that when Thomas Ross's first wife died in 1905 he then married Mary Adelaide Ann Atkins. I also know that with his first wife, Alice Fanny, he had a son (born 1878 Calcutta) Thomas William Hockly

OUTSTANDING UNKNOWN FACTS to avoid repetition of known facts

death date of George Cleghorn Hockly (+ whether married or even survived childhood)
death date of John Davis Hockly (+ whether married or even survived childhood)
death date of Richard Shaw Hockly (+ whether married or even survived childhood)
death date of Septimus Williamson Hockly - he reached maturity (1881 census, unmarried in Devon with sister Janet)
death date of Clarissa (Clarison) Ann Ruth Hockly (+ whether married or even survived childhood)

HOWEVER, I'm very very far from convinced that the information is 'out there' to answer these so we're probably wasting our time even looking. <big smiley thing>

many thanks for your efforts far beyond the call of duty

wimsey
21-08-2016, 5:06 AM
post # 49 took me so long to type, the forum timed me out and I had to start again !!! ha-ha

wimsey
21-08-2016, 5:12 AM
Is this the witness to Thomas Henry HOCKLY 2nd marriage?

Thomas Ross HOCKLY
Name Thomas Ross Hockly
Spouse's Name Alice Fanny Townsend
Event Date 01 Mar 1863
Event Place Calcutta, Bengal, India
Father's Name Thomas Henry Hockly
Spouse's Father's Name Edward Townsend

I must be looking at the wrong thing. As far as I can see the witnesses at Thomas Henry Hockly's 1859 marriage to Helen Forbes Leith are G.V and E.V. ARGLES

However that reminds me how useful it is to look at marriage witnesses. This might help me with my "outstanding unknown facts" !!

christanel
21-08-2016, 7:47 AM
post # 49 took me so long to type, the forum timed me out and I had to start again !!! ha-ha

Hi
if you know you are going to do a long post it is best to do it in a word processing program and then copy and paste in the the BG reply box.
Christina

geneius
21-08-2016, 12:01 PM
#49 George Cleghorn HOCKLY
1884 Unclaimed Estate
HOCKLY, GEORGE CLEGHORN, born at Calcutta, 1845, went to New York 1858.
https://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-90100/martindales-unclaimed-money-lands-estates-manual-devoted-to-the-interests?itemId=147409202&action=showRecord

geneius
21-08-2016, 2:27 PM
Name:
William Henry Hockly

Death Date:
24 Jun 1866

Death Place:
East Indies

Probate Date:
5 Jan 1883

Registry:
Principal Registry

geneius
21-08-2016, 2:43 PM
Is this confirmation of the birth of the first 2 children?

Janet Daniel HOCKLY my entry
Surname Hockley
sex daughter
Gender f
Place Calcutta
Year 1840
month Oct
day 28
Exact Entry At Calcutta on the 28th October the lady of SH Hockley Esq of a daughter
Edition Year 1840
Edition Date 11 Nov

Thomas Ross HOCKLY my entry
Surname Hockly
sex son
Gender m
Place Kidderpore
Year 1841
month Dec
day 12
Exact Entry At Kidderpore on Sunday the 12th December Mrs TH Hockly of a son
Edition Year 1842
Edition Date 5 Jan

Was TH HOCKLY married before Janet poss in 1838?

He may have been employed by EIC at the time of the above births

wimsey
21-08-2016, 2:52 PM
Was TH HOCKLY married before Janet poss in 1838?

He may have been employed by EIC at the time of the above births

I have the marriage dated 6 November 1839 at Calcutta

edit - sorry, do you mean you think he was married to someone else before Janet Cleghorn ? - I don't know - I wasn't aware of that

On Richard Shaw Hockly's baptism record I think his father is described as 'commander of steamship Jumna' and elsewhere as 'superintendant of the Ganges Works N.W.' - though I haven't investigated what that was exactly

wimsey
21-08-2016, 3:01 PM
on the marriage record of T H Hockly to Janet Cleghorn he is 'bachelor'

do you mind me asking what you are using for research - Ancestry, FMP or something better ?

wimsey
21-08-2016, 4:10 PM
Is this confirmation of the birth of the first 2 children?

yes

geneius
21-08-2016, 8:51 PM
Potential first marriage

Groom Surname Hockley
Groom First names T H
Bride Surname Mahon
Bride First names L
Place Calcutta
Year 1838

Bachelor may mean no living wife. or as we would consider footloose and fancy free

Potential first marriage
Month March
Day 13
Entry HOCKLEY � MAHON, at Calcutta, on March 13th, T H Hockley, Esq., to Miss L Mahon.
Edition Year 1838
Edition Date Vol II, No VII, July 1838

I note that THH states his father is THH......

do you mind me asking what you are using for research - Ancestry, FMP or something better ?

When I cannot find what I am after I resort to google, amazing what it finds however there is www.fbis.org and familysearch.org I do not believe in paying unless I have to, particularly as over the years I have helped transcribed some of the census / BMD / MI's etc
First 2 births came from the East India Register which is why I queried, I did wonder if besides being a sea farer, your man was an Engineer

Squaredancer
21-08-2016, 9:13 PM
Tried link www.fbis.org but that's a Spanish site. Think it should be www.fibis.org - Families in British India Society. I've recently found that a couple of my rellies were born in India so thought I'd have a look...

wimsey
22-08-2016, 1:52 AM
Bachelor may mean no living wife. or as we would consider footloose and fancy free

that had never occured to me. I've always taken 'bachelor' literally. I wonder how many wives I've missed because of that.

If we're considering Mahon as a first wife - has she got to die within a year ?

wimsey
22-08-2016, 2:12 AM
I can find that marriage on fibis but not on FMP but perhaps that shouldn't surprise me ? I do rather rely on FMP

I notice on fibis that Miss Louisa Mahon marries W T Cooper, Calcutta, 13 November 1839

wimsey
22-08-2016, 2:29 AM
don't know if she was a serial bride. On FMP a Louisa Mahon marries Mortimer Pigot, Calcutta 1 December 1825

wimsey
22-08-2016, 5:18 AM
only just got around to looking at the 1871 marriage record of James Hambly Hockly + Agnes Amelia Austin. His address is 15 Lindsay Street, Calcutta - which rings a bell with me, I'm sure I've got somebody else in Lindsay Street. Anyway his profession is "Chief Officer, HMS Taboona". Perhaps we knew that already. Agnes only able to leave a mark, no signature.

wimsey
22-08-2016, 5:53 AM
looks like both Thomas Ross Hockly and his brother Charles Twynam Hockly (+ other brothers ?) were with the IGSN Company (Indian General Steam Navigation)

christanel
22-08-2016, 6:20 AM
Possible death for James Hambly Hockley
NSW BMD's
1918 James H Hockley age 64, Registration district Nowra, registration number 2416/1918

I know that this makes him born c1854 but the informant may not have known him well or James knocked a few years off his age himself. Unfortunately no parents named on the basic search result which if given for the death certificate shows up in the basic search results.

Christina

wimsey
22-08-2016, 6:24 AM
thank you very much. I shall google Nowra to see how big it is (or was)

wimsey
22-08-2016, 6:58 AM
seem to be a couple of other Hockleys buried at Nowra General Cemetery, Charlotte (died 1929) and David D (died 1956)

Charlotte Hockly, wife of James H died Nowra 1896 (apologies if you have already told me that)

wimsey
22-08-2016, 7:16 AM
too late to edit post # 68 - should have read

Charlotte Hockly, daughter of Charlotte and James H, died Nowra 1896

wimsey
22-08-2016, 7:48 AM
Worrigeree Street Nowra.

if I've read it correctly, the 1901 census has James + 4 others at 188 Worragee (spelling ?) Street. Probably Worrigee.

christanel
22-08-2016, 8:49 AM
if I've read it correctly, the 1901 census has James + 4 others at 188 Worragee (spelling ?) Street. Probably Worrigee.

Australia doesn't have census records so (without reading through all this thread again) I think you are referring to the 1913 electoral roll I found? Post #28
On that electoral roll there are only two Hockleys at Werrigee Street (sorry about mucking up the spelling) James Hambour Hockley and Charlotte Hockley.
Christina

christanel
22-08-2016, 9:04 AM
too late to edit post # 68 - should have read

Charlotte Hockly, daughter of Charlotte and James H, died Nowra 1896
Charlotte's birth registered1895 Nowra.

Birth of an unnamed child registered Milton 1891.This is probably David Davis Hockley who died 1956

Christina

wimsey
22-08-2016, 9:33 AM
Australia doesn't have census records so (without reading through all this thread again) I think you are referring to the 1913 electoral roll I found? Post #28
On that electoral roll there are only two Hockleys at Werrigee Street (sorry about mucking up the spelling) James Hambour Hockley and Charlotte Hockley.
Christina

well FMP calls it the "New South Wales 1901 Census" but I'm sure you're right. Nowra, St Vincent county, NSW. Series NRS 685. Film number 1133. I can't decide whether 188 is a house number or something else.

I've been looking at Charlotte's parents. Both born 1843. Her father John Ingold from Essex. Mother Mary Louisa Blackmore from Dawlish, Devon. They are on the UK 1871 census with Charlotte at Clapham, London but I can't find an 1881 census, so I'm guessing they emigrated in the 1870's. Mary Louisa died at Milton 1896. There are several John Ingold deaths at Milton. Indeed lots of Ingolds in Milton.

christanel
22-08-2016, 9:59 AM
well FMP calls it the "New South Wales 1901 Census" but I'm sure you're right. Nowra, St Vincent county, NSW. Series NRS 685. Film number 1133. I can't decide whether 188 is a house number or something else.
You are correct and I am wrong. First I have seen of this. But all it says is Jas Hockley + 4 others without naming them

wimsey
22-08-2016, 12:28 PM
I have decided that the father of the Richard Hockly Collom who died in Hatfield in 1940, also called Richard Hockly Collom, died in Sydney, Australia in 1922 aged "55", though born 1870. He had to die before 1927 when his widow remarried.

Sandyhall
23-08-2016, 8:34 AM
OMG look how far you have got and how much you have found out.

I've been away for the weekend on the NHS I got rushed in on Saturday afternoon, as my body went into some sort of shock, I could not stop shaking, but I'm back now just catching up with every thing.

wimsey
23-08-2016, 8:50 AM
OMG look how far you have got and how much you have found out.

yes, we've gone down a few highways and byeways - so I'm very grateful to everyone who has gone on the journey

sorry to hear about your problems - daughter in charge I hope