PDA

View Full Version : My father was married before

elbmek
08-08-2016, 12:45 AM
.... for about 12 -15 months apparently. We (family)didn't find out about it until 3-4 years ago. His name: Phillip Kemble. Her name: Margarita Velasquez. He married my mum in 1947 and this person in 1945. I suspected a 'marriage' to let her stay in post war London but in reality, no idea. Place: assume London. Who would I be looking at for info?? Both my parents were ex RAF.

Pam Downes
08-08-2016, 1:38 AM
If he married in England or Wales then you need the GRO Index. Availablle on Ancestry and FindMyPast (FMP) which may be available in your local library if you don't have a subscription. The free version of the GRO Index available at FreeBMD (.org.uk) is still a work in progress but may show relevant entries. (Click on the blue page number to show other people on the same page.)

I can see only an entry in 1946, Birkenhead registration district to a Veronica, and then a Philip A Kemble marrying a Marie in 1948, Marylebone registration district.

No trace of a Philip/Phillip Kemble marrying in Scotland.

And totally zilch for Margarita Velasquez. Is it possible that they could have married somewhere in Europe?

Pam

christanel
08-08-2016, 1:58 AM
There is a shipping record for a Margarita Velasquez, age 30, address 49 Ave de Paris France (other part of address I can't read.)No occupation given, citizen of Costa Rica.
She arrived on 29 Mar 1931 at Bristol and embarked at Barbados.

Christina

SueNSW
08-08-2016, 7:54 AM
Just to clarify a couple of things - whilst the vessel (Fyffes Line - CARARE) originated this voyage at Barbados, Margarita actually embarked in Limon in Costa Rica.

Also, the address she was going to was 49, Avenue de Paris - in L'isle Adam - about 30km north of Paris.

She may well have been travelling with a French couple - Paul and Odilia Bremaud - who were shown as going on to the same address

Cheers Sue

Peter Goodey
08-08-2016, 8:20 AM
Following on from Pam, there is no record of a Philip Kemble marrying in England & Wales in 1947.

Please check the marriage certificate and confirm the date and names. Also what status is shown for the groom? Bachelor? Widower? Divorced?

elbmek
08-08-2016, 11:48 AM
you are amazing, all that info, right or wrong almost immediately!! My father Philip A Kemble, was born 1925, he was in the RAF during the war. I will have to check with a sister on his bachelor wedding with M V. He must have been divorced when he married my mum, and I was born in Aug 1949 in Hull, mums home. Marie is my mum (1926) she died in Wallasey in 1999. Marylebone is spot on, possibly April 1948. I remember now. Veronica was possibly the name of Miss Velasquez. I may be confusing old info. 1946 sounds about right for that one. I spoke to a sister, but she is recovering from an op, so is still in hospital. I'll try another who lives in Cornwall, trouble is we are spread all over the country now!!! Get back to you all soonest.

The 1946 entry in Bhead has surprised me, I assumed London!!

elbmek
08-08-2016, 11:52 AM
There is a shipping record for a Margarita Velasquez, age 30, address 49 Ave de Paris France (other part of address I can't read.)No occupation given, citizen of Costa Rica.
She arrived on 29 Mar 1931 at Bristol and embarked at Barbados.

Christina

I think this is way too early, so am discounting this one, and, as I said up there, I may have first name wrong.

Dundee10
08-08-2016, 4:31 PM
..... I may have first name wrong.

....and the last name as well. You will find the marriages here:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

elbmek
08-08-2016, 5:07 PM
Spelling may be suspect. Velas or Valas. I'll look into it and try when I have more info

Lesley Robertson
08-08-2016, 6:48 PM
Since we don't know whether the bride is now dead, we can't give details about her but I suggest that you go to FreeBMD.org.uk and look for a wedding to Philip Kendle in Birkenhead in 1946. The name is not Velasquez.

BTW An Air Mechanic, Philip W(ales) Kendle in the RAF in 1919 (grandfather perhaps?), was a witness at the death of another airman who got hit by a car "exceeding the 8 mph limit operating at that point". The victim was deaf and heard neither the car or the warning shouts... Cambridge Independent Press 31 Oct 1919.

The National Archives has a guide to looking for divorces HERE (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces-further-research/)

Squaredancer
08-08-2016, 7:03 PM
The OP stated that his/her father's name is Phillip Kemble not Kendle. :confused5: :confused5: :confused5:

Lesley Robertson
08-08-2016, 7:10 PM
You're quite right. Apologies for the irrelevant info.
:blush2::blush2:

Note to self, stop watching the Olympics while checking BG..... Or vice versa...

elbmek
08-08-2016, 10:59 PM
I found the Bhead one, 1946 Augustaitis Veronica K.. Waiting on reply from another sister. Grateful for all your help whatever the outcome. Although its possible this is the wrong PK, but we'll see.

elbmek
08-08-2016, 11:01 PM
no info is irrelevant, it might mean something, to someone. As I say in my sigs Darkness is only the absence of light, and Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

geneius
08-08-2016, 11:29 PM
He must have been divorced when he married my mum, and I was born in Aug 1949

Not necessarily and if he was it is unlikely that you will find the divorce papers I have never found my mother's. My mother married a GI in 1944 yet 4 years later 1948 she married my father.
My father told me they were not asked to prove the divorce on re marriage and he had never seen the papers, he always took mothers word for it...this begs the question am I a bastard or legit :smilewinkgrin:

I have always assumed in the absence of divorce papers in either the US or UK that Herberts Marriage Act of 1937 was adopted.

geneius
08-08-2016, 11:57 PM
Veronica K Augustaitis
Mother's Maiden Surname: Mitskus
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1922
Registration district: Prescot
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8b Page Number: 1491

According to CheshireBMD this is either a Registry Office marriage or in an unlicensed Church
Name: Veronica K Augustaitis
Spouse: Philip Kemble
Marriage: Jun 1946 - Birkenhead, Cheshire
Other: Q Feb-Apr-May-Jun 1946

Name: Veronica K Augustaitis
Spouse: Sumner
Marriage: Mar 1951 - Ilford, Essex
Other: QJan-Jan-Feb-Mar 1951