PDA

View Full Version : Marriage details - Boston 1899

lizziebeth
28-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Is anyone able to provide me with details of my gt grandparents wedding, which took place in 1899? They were, Eliza Ann Atkinson born 1875 and John William Johnson, born 1877. The marriage would have been registered in Boston.Thanks in anticipation!

Geoff Everitt
28-09-2005, 12:26 PM
This is the reference for ordering the certificate-

Marriages Jun 1899
ATKINSON Eliza Ann Boston 7a 992
Johnson John William Boston 7a 992

Pam Downes
28-09-2005, 5:10 PM
The marriage would have been registered in Boston.
Hi Lizziebeth,
Don't forget that 'registered in Boston' is not the same as 'took place in Boston'.
The Boston registration district covers quite a lot of churches and chapels as well as Boston Registry Office. See Genuki
for a list of the towns and villages in the district.
If it's any help the marriage did not take place at Skirbeck Quarter St Thomas' because the marriage register doesn't begin until 1904. :)
Unless you are almost 100% certain of the church and could ask for a look-up in the PR (which invariably is dependent on someone going to Lincoln Archives anyway) it's always quicker and easier to just send for the marriage certificate.
Pam Downes

lizziebeth
30-09-2005, 9:21 PM
Thanks Geoff and Pam, for your information. I am not exactly sure where the marriage took place, and as i will not be visiting in the foreseeable future i will send for a copy cert. Many thanks.

lizziebeth
06-10-2005, 7:59 PM
Update: I sent away for the marriage certificate based upon the information you so kindly supplied, and I had a very nice letter back today stating that they were "unable to trace this marriage in the registers with the information given". This seem to be,as Pam so rightly stated, that "registered in boston" and "took place in boston" are not quite the same. Is anyone able to suggest what should be my next step? Thanks

Pam Downes
06-10-2005, 9:41 PM
Hi Lizziebeth,
Do I presume that you asked the Lincs Registration Service for the marriage cert? If so they won't be able to provide the cert because they have marriages filed in 'church order' for want of a better description, not in surname alpha order per district.
However if you applied to the GRO and received that reply then there's something wrong with their filing system. The 'Boston 7a 992' that Geoff quoted refer to the registration district, volume, and page number as indexed at the GRO.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
and follow the links. By the way, note this URL. There are companies who put 'gro' in their URL and imply that they are the 'official' certs providers, but they'll charge 2 or 3 times more the true cost without blinking.

Pam Downes

lizziebeth
07-10-2005, 8:57 PM
Hi Pam,
Many thanks for your reply, you are quite right in your assumption, and it is me that was at fault. I am only recently starting to research my lincolnshire roots so this is the first certificate i have/will apply for!!! I will have another go. I am but a novice!