PDA

View Full Version : Townshend's of Snettisham/Ingoldisthorpe

Steve Garnham
26-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I would like to hear from anyone researching the name Townsend/Townshend in the above areas.

Wirral
26-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Steve
No personal connection with the name, & can't see any sign of them in 1841 in Snettisham, but there are 12 in Ingoldisthorpe in 1841. What dates are you looking for?

Steve Garnham
27-09-2005, 4:20 AM
I am trying to out more about:

Ann Mitchel Townshend, born Snettisham 1775, who marries Flarnar Garnham in Thetford 1810. I believe she is the daughter of John Townshend & Ann Mitchel. She dies in Boston, Lincs. in 1866 aged 91 years.

In his will of 1826, Flarnar refers to his friend John Townshend of Ingoldisthorpe. I am trying to find out if this is Ann's brother (or even father, though unlikely), and what became of him etc.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve Garnham

Geoffers
27-09-2005, 9:05 AM
The 1851 census shows several TOWNSHENDs born/living in Ingoldisthorpe. It includes an entry for a John TOWNSHEND aged 34 (bn c.1817). He is unlikely to be referred to as Flarnar GARNHAMs friend in 1826 - but - he may have been the son of another John. I'd suggest that you browse the registers for Ingoldisthorpe to see if any relationship can be inferred from marriages and baptisms.

The NFHS has an indexed transcript of the 1798 Land Tax returns. If you are a member of the society, you can request free lookups via the help team at the society's library. This should hopefully provide you with confirmation of any John TOWNSHEND living in the area.

Did John TOWNSHEND leave a will indicating any relationship with the GARNHAM family?
Geoffers

Steve Garnham
27-09-2005, 4:21 PM
Geoffers

Thanks for the message. I don't know if he left a will, but I will certainly pursue this, and your other suggestions also.