PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOLS 1901 bristol

sarah jns
26-09-2005, 2:14 PM
my grandmother age 6 lived in baptist street bristol in 1901, could anyone tell me what schools were in the area at that time? it may have been a catholic school !
thank you
sarah

keith1948
27-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello Sarah
I went to Baptist mills secondery modern school in the 1959-63 it was situated in Baptist Street. It was not a Catholic School the nearest Catholic school was st Nicholas in st Judes. I think your Grandmother must have gone to one of these schools.
Regards
Keith.

Andrew Mead
30-09-2008, 7:23 PM
Baptist Street has presumably been severely modified since then by the M32 (it is right by junction 3 (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=360305&y=174337&z=1&sv=baptist+street&st=6&tl=Baptist+Street,+Bristol,+BS5&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf) - St Paul's). There are several old school buildings - some still in use - in the area (Cutlers Brook in James Street, from memory) which were probably there in 1901. If you are in South Glos, it's not far to get to and have a (careful!) wander/drive around. Baptist Mills area acquired St Werbergh's church in the late 1800s when it was a new up and coming area. The church was previously in Corn Street in Bristol, but caused a major traffic obstruction so was dismantled and moved. In the rebuild the tower was rotated 90 degrees!

Edit:
How do I remove the 'Has a spectacular aura' - I don't believe I do - whose idea were these silly descriptions?!