PDA

View Full Version : Plaigg! Any ideas?

jeeb
25-09-2005, 4:48 PM
While doing some research, I found this burial in the parish of Eyam, Derbyshire.

Buried 12 May 1719 George Knowles "Killed by a plaigg in ye hay"

I know this village has famous connections with the plague, but that happened 55 years prior to this date, so I don't think it means that. Also having been a farmer on the Derbyshire hills I think it would be unlikely they would be cutting or making that years crop that early in the year. The conclusion I have come up with is that 'plaigg' must mean dust or fever caused by using old hay. Has anyone come across this word or anything similar and have any suggestions to it's meaning?
Jeremy

Chasing Caseys
25-09-2005, 6:55 PM
Hi Jeeb

I assume its this one on genuki .......1721. May 12. Bur : George Knowles,- killed by a plaigg (possibly a blow) in ye hay Cliff Grove. Maybe that is the cause or is the transcriber guessing ?.

jeeb
25-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Hi Tracey,
Yes thanks, that is the one and I think the transcriber was guessing because it doesn't really make sense. If he means a blow such as a clout then why 'in ye hay' or if he is referring to the wind that doesn't make much sense either? I think it must be a disease connected with hay or it was some sharp tool such as a scythe which had been left in the hay.
Cheers jeremy.

Chasing Caseys
26-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi Jeremy

When i put plaigg in Google yours was the only one that came up. With your explanation i am having all sorts of visions of him having a fight in the hay with a farmer and getting a clout to the head or suffering terribly from hayfever falling and banging his head !
Tell me do you know if when plague victims were buried their headstone had a scull and crossbone on it ? this is what i was told - maybe they liked the idea !- as there is one like that in a church yard locally.

jeeb
26-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Tracey,
I don't know of such a tradition as most plague victims were buried quickly in mass graves. A red cross was usually painted on the doors of houses were someone died of the disease. Itwas spread by rat fleas but of course they didn't realise that. The plague victims of Eyam are a different story and makes interesting reading. Basically the plague hit this small Derbyshire community in 1665 and they shut themselves away from the rest of the country to avoid the spread and most of the village perished. There are monuments to most of the victims. It makes interesting reading. There are several sites about this and if you are unaware of the story, type in Eyam & Plague, you will find it sad but fascinating reading.
Jeremy.

Chasing Caseys
26-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks Jeremy I will look at that. This has made me look at sites for one of the local churches where this headstone is.This church supposedly pre dates the Doomsday Survey and formed part of the pilgrims way via St Clements Church (four weddings and a funeral fame) On the photo of it you can see the only head stone im on about by the door and it mentions everything but ! I am going to call the vicar tomorrow !

Keith Goodway
26-09-2005, 9:43 PM
Hi Jeeb

I assume its this one on genuki .......1721. May 12. Bur : George Knowles,- killed by a plaigg (possibly a blow) in ye hay Cliff Grove. Maybe that is the cause or is the transcriber guessing ?.In Staffordshire, I have found fields called "The Hay" or "The Haying". Could that be the case here ?

Keith

Peter Goodey
26-09-2005, 11:49 PM
"The conclusion I have come up with is that 'plaigg' must mean dust or fever caused by using old hay. "
I think you might be spot on there. Some very nasty diseases can be contracted by inhaling spores from micro-organisms harboured in mouldy hay. See "Farmers' Lung", for example.

Jenjen
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I am told by John Clifford of Eyam that Haycliff grove was probably the mine. It is interesting to read about explosions which occured in this mine as a result of the mineral "slickensides" which caused a serious explosion in 1738. As the Eyam parish records were actually a transcription it is possible that something was lost in the translation of the word plaigg. The area above Eyam is called Haycliff.The George Knowles mentioned was my 6th GGrandfather.
Jen

kiwipom
27-01-2007, 6:42 AM
"Killed by a plaigg in ye hay"

I guess this is what we commonly called "Farmers Lung" in the 50's and 60's.
An asthmatic condition from fungal spores in Hay

kiwipom
27-01-2007, 6:45 AM
Oooops, sorry Peter I didn't see you'd previously posted this explaination.

jeeb
28-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Kiwipom,
Thankyou for your reply. I posted this orginal question awhile ago now and my first thought was the same as yours. However Farmer's Lung, caused by inhahation of mouldy dust particles in hay and similar substances does not cause instant death. We know this with hindsight of modern medicine. This entry appeared in a parish register nearly 300 years ago and I think it unlikely the connection between a death (which would not be sudden if Farmer's lung was the cause) and mouldy hay at that time would be known. In a period when death was common amongst all ages I would think this cause would not be spectacular enough for a clerk to be record it in the register. 'Killed' to me sums up a instant death from an accident or natural disaster. It is more likely the word hay refers to a place or mine/quarry rather than fodder. The parish this death was recorded in was Eyam in Derbyshire which is famous for it's connections with 'The Plague' of 1665-1666 when the disease struck this small village community and they sealed themselves off from the rest of the country to contain the disease, about two thirds of the population died. Why the word 'plaigg' appears as a cause of death 55 years later is still a mystery to me but I think it unlikely to be a natural cause.

Cheers Jeremy.