PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Who's Who in Methodism

mary elms
24-09-2005, 9:33 PM
This book contains details of not just the ministers who were active in the Wesleyan, Primitive, United and Irish Methodist Churches at union in 1932 but also those lay people who held Connexional & Circuit offices.

Those ministers who are likely to have their details in the book can be gleaned from this site -

http://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/methodist/ministers/minister.html

But I'm not aware of any index of the lay officers. I have borrowed my parents' copy till Christmas and would be happy to have a go at making a name index if people think it would be useful.

Some contain more information than others but as an example here's the first lay officer in the book -

ABBOT, Frank (Wesleyan)
born: 1876 at York
educated: York
married: Mabel Rose Kendall
two sons, six daughters
Farmer & Cattle Dealer
Ex Circuit Steward: District HM Committee; Local Preacher (for 29 years); District Councillor
Special Interest: Foreign Mission
Address: Manor Farm, Long Marston, Yorks
Tel: Rutforth 27

Mary.

Diane Grant-Salmon
25-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Mary,

You've already found mine for me, but if it wasn't going to be too taxing for you, I think it's a great idea! :) People are joining the Forum all the time, just think what a lovely surprise they would have to find you!

I did a Google on Methodist Ministers and found the links you've already given of course, but I found this one, which is a direct link to click on surnames for little snippets of extra info ...... similar to the example you've given in your message.

http://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/methodist/bio/bioind.html

mary elms
25-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that link Diane - I'd missed that when searching the MA site.

I forgot to ask you on the other thread -

There's a David William FORREST (born 1872 at Audenshaw and living in Liverpool) in the lay officers section. Is he likely to be one of yours?

Mary.

Diane Grant-Salmon
25-09-2005, 1:50 PM
Thanks for thinking of me Mary, but no, he's not one of mine. It was a shock to find one in the family ...... don't think I could cope with two! ;)

mary elms
28-09-2005, 2:48 PM
OK Diane (and anyone else with an interest) I've started but in the meantime I'm pondering a question ...

Which forum do I put it in? The book covers Great Britain and Ireland and the section that I'm indexing is Lay Officers - not clergy.

Any thoughts?

Mary.

Diane Grant-Salmon
28-09-2005, 3:46 PM
Hi Mary,

I have the same problem, trying to work out precisely which one is the correct forum. Perhaps you could post a message to Rod and ask his advice?

I've found out some more stuff! |woohoo|

I was going to put a new heading of Forrest Family Methodist Ministers, so that I didn't keep monopolizing your threads, but as it turns out, it's not worth it. I've saved you some more look-ups in your book though! :D

I'll put the update in the other thread, though it will take me a bit of time to type the info I've found.