PDA

View Full Version : Eiles (varient spelling: Iles, Eyles, Eyls)

Kevin1709
01-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Hello.

I'm researching my family tree and seem to have hit a brick wall. I'm only from a small family anyways (my Mam and two older sisters) I'm based in Stockton-On-Tees in Teesside.
My Nan (My Mam's Mam- Norah Matthews (nee Eiles)) died in 1989 and my Granddad (Fred Matthews) died in 1962 when my Mam was only 9 years old. We've lived in and around Thornaby / Stockton all our lives.

My Nans Father was called Jacob Eiles and he was born 1878-1943 (he married Louisa Flynne)
I believe Jacobs Father was called William Eiles (1853-1900 - birth date could vary but I have found records which state he died in 1900 in Stockton) He married Emma Daniel and I believe they were both from South Wales (Glamorgan / Glamorganshire ??)

This is where I've hit the brick wall as I've found the children and marriage date of Jacob and Emma however, I cannot seem to go any further back than I already have. I THINK Jacobs Father could be called Thomas, born around 1818. I believe Emma Daniel/Eiles parents were Edward James Daniel and Elizabeth Jane Turner.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Kevin Dolan

Megan Roberts
01-02-2016, 12:20 PM
The birth registration details for Jacob Eiles are: Dec quarter 1878: Stockton: Vol 10A Page 78. If you don’t have his birth certificate you should apply for it as that will confirm his parents’ names. Certificates cost £9.25, and can be bought on line from: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Jacob appears in the 1881 Census with his parents William and Anna, who were from Wales and had an older brother John and a sister Sophia. Piece 4895 Folio 65 Page 38. By the 1891 census, Anna has become Emma, which I think emphasises the importance of getting Jacob’s birth certificate. William was from Merthyr Tydvil and Emma from.

There is a marriage in Stockton in 1874 Dec quarter Vol 10a Page 240 between William Eiles and Emma Daniel, which suggests that Anna from the 1881 census was a mistranscription.

In the 1871 census Emma is living with her parents Jacob and Sophia Daniel In Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire. Both Jacob & Sophia were born about 1806 in Carmarthenshire. In the 1851 census Jacob is listed as Joseph and in the 1861 census he is said to be from Llanvihangel, Carmarthenshire, whilst Sophia is said to be from Merthyr Fach, Carmarthenshire. Emma was born in 1841 in Llanelly, Carmarthenshire. There does not appear to be a birth registration for her in that town, but it may be under a different name spelling.

Jacob Daniel of Llanvihangel married Sophia Howells of Merthyr 13 April 1826 in Merthyr, Carmarthenshire. Unfortunately for the purposes of going further back this record is one where the parents are not listed. They were both single and neither was literate (able to sign their names).

I don’t that the parents you have identified for Emma Daniel correct. The ones above have the same names as her children.

Because of the many possible spelling permutations of Eiles I think getting William and Sophia’s marriage certificate will be an important point of unlocking the next generation.

Kevin1709
01-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Hi there.

Thank you so much for the information you have provided.

Looking through it (and remembering times when me and my family have attempted the family tree before) Sophia Howells does ring a bell!

I will go forward and enquire about Jacob's birth certificate.

Was it common back then to name your children the same name as what you had / same as your parents?
It can be a little confusing :)

Thanks again! any further information would also be greatly appreciated.

Kevin.

Megan Roberts
01-02-2016, 1:10 PM
Hi there.

Was it common back then to name your children the same name as what you had / same as your parents?
It can be a little confusing :)

Kevin.

Very common for names to be carried through the family. By example my grandfather's siblings:

1. Thomas (his maternal grandfather) Llewellyn (his paternal great grandfather / uncle)
2. Jane (her paternal grandmother) Catherine (her maternal grandmother)
3. Evan (his paternal grandfather) John (his father)
4. Maggie Ann (probably a combination of aunts)
5. Lizzie Mary (probably her mother, Elizabeth Catherine)
6. William Henry (his father's step brother)
7. Blodwen Mair (no idea)
8. Griffith (his paternal grandmother's maiden name) Lloyd

Lesley Robertson
01-02-2016, 1:21 PM
However, if you reply on the naming pattern, Murphy's Law of Genealogy requires that your ancestors were the rebels of the family and didn't use it!
Also, if a child died young, the name was often used for a later child...